Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:36 PM

138 posts, read 413,220 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a good reputable vet in the area. We have 2 cats and a Standard Poodle. Anyone have any reccomendations? We would love to hear some local opinions.

Thanks

p.s. - any info on groomers would also be welcome

Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM

48 posts, read 150,880 times
Ooo, sorry to thread-hijack but if anyone has a good one near Ballantyne please let me know too

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:39 PM

30 posts, read 138,835 times
I am the pickiest person I know about my own haircuts as well as my two mini schnauzers. I am now bringing them to Spa 4 Paws... if they don't get it right the first time they are so nice about working with you to get what you want. And they are very reasonable. It's on Providence just north of Waxhaw.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
I will just let you know that I was NOT happy with Weddington Animal Hospital when my golden had cancer. They were quite pushy that I send him up to Raleigh for an amputation and board him for a week while he healed. He was 13 years old! And had a re-occuring cancer after a previous tumor removal. The cost would have been $4,000. All I wanted was some pain meds to keep him comfortable.

Waxhaw Animal Hospital has always been quite nice, although we have only gone a couple of times.

Indian Trail Animal Hospital on 521 gave very good care and was very reasonably priced. They are a no frills place but with very caring Vets.

I don't know about Ballentyne but our current dog's previous owners used Rae Animal Hospital on Rae Rd. near Stonecrest. They are very nice too. I only went in once to get my dog's records from them and they were very kind and helpful.

Dawn

Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM

197 posts, read 736,028 times
We love Waxhaw Animal Hospital! They are always super nice.

I've heard many not so great things from my friends about Weddington Animal Hospital

Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
thats good to know as I have a dog....

Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
Oops....I did not mean Indian Trail....I meant Indian Land.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I will just let you know that I was NOT happy with Weddington Animal Hospital when my golden had cancer. They were quite pushy that I send him up to Raleigh for an amputation and board him for a week while he healed. He was 13 years old! And had a re-occuring cancer after a previous tumor removal. The cost would have been $4,000. All I wanted was some pain meds to keep him comfortable.

Waxhaw Animal Hospital has always been quite nice, although we have only gone a couple of times.

Indian Trail Animal Hospital on 521 gave very good care and was very reasonably priced. They are a no frills place but with very caring Vets.

I don't know about Ballentyne but our current dog's previous owners used Rae Animal Hospital on Rae Rd. near Stonecrest. They are very nice too. I only went in once to get my dog's records from them and they were very kind and helpful.

Dawn

Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 AM

138 posts, read 413,220 times
Thank you for all of the input. We are closing on our home in NY on 3/6. It wil really be nice to finally be here full time. My wife has been here since Thanksgiving. I brought the dog down several times before today, and she just LOVES her new yard! Now she is here permanently, so I really need to find a vet and groomer. Do the animal hospitals/vets also do grooming?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 AM

48 posts, read 151,217 times
Default That's it??

No one else can recommend a Vet in the area??

Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I will just let you know that I was NOT happy with Weddington Animal Hospital when my golden had cancer. They were quite pushy that I send him up to Raleigh for an amputation and board him for a week while he healed. He was 13 years old! And had a re-occuring cancer after a previous tumor removal. The cost would..

Dawn
Hi
Here are some tips, which we've found out the hard way, since moving from our vets in our city:

We will only go to a "no frills" vet, preferrably one with a single doctor who's had the same assistant/employees for years. We have found that the bigger, "fancier" places (with many different doctors, and you get who you get") are more sales pressured. And, most importantly, less experienced, and will "move you on quickly" to acheive higher volume.

A really good veterinarian won't be as "convenient", as appointments are at such a demand. They also don't need to advertise, offer cupons, and sell Science Diet dog food. But these "McVets", will always say "come right in", no matter when you call. It/they may seem nice as pie, but there's a reason!
This will not only cost you mucho more, but they tend to not be as thorough, so you'll be going back more times than you would normally need to with a different vet!

If you see a sign posted informing clients which day/time of the week they're closed for "staff meetings", RUN!!! This is for discussing the goals of what to sell that day/week, as vets do get "points" from companies depending on sales goals met. (We were naive to think they sat around talking about new treatments, stuff like that).

This is a very sore subject with our family, as we were spoiled with wonderful vets before we relocated, having so many dogs throughout the years.
I'll post more later , but this is the gyst of it :>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte