Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 AM

31 posts, read 108,199 times

Advertisements

One thing that I want to share from my experience for anyone moving here to Charlotte - It's a MUCH smaller world than many of you might think. Since it seems that most people are moving from a more populated, metropolitan area, this would be a new concept.

For example - Long Island New York is home to 125 public schools districts, 416,093 students and 29,901 teachers. There are also 233 private schools, with 53,629 students and 4,873 teachers.

All of Union County has 34,000 students - that less than 10% of the size!

There are fewer companies, stores, restaurants, schools, churches etc than in your area. That means you will run into people all over the place - and not just at your corner supermarket. People here get networked pretty quickly and it's not quite "everyone knows everyone" - but it's not that far off - If you're on this board, there's a good chance that you could run into many of these people in real life when you move here. Especially if they're giving you advice/guidance on the move, etc

So while there might feel like there's a certain level of anonymity that you have because you're not actually "speaking" to these people... but you'd be surprised.

I guess what I'm saying is - please be aware of what you write/how you write it - especially if you're looking for people to help you in your transition!

On the plus side - it is very neat that you can bump into people all over the place - it really lets you have a "small town" feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 AM

58 posts, read 77,771 times
Thanks for sharing - very good point. I have found on these boards that peoples' willingness to help others depends mostly on the approach taken by the person requesting the help.

I am VERY glad to hear this about South Charlotte - and I'm definitely looking forward to that "small town" feel but still being in / near a relatively large city. I'm really looking forward to raising my family in the area and meeting great new people!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 AM

476 posts, read 1,576,566 times
I too would like to thank you for those kind words. I am one who sometimes gets a bit "fired up" especially when I feel like one poster is attacking another. Without even realizing it I have done the same on my attack back. My husband and I have become so fond of this wonderful site because of all of these great folks and we are definitely looking forward to more of a "small town" life for our family. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:44 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,396,636 times
me too but im the person who doesnt really care what people think....either you like me or you dont...and u will always bump into people that u dont like, either from the boards or where ever....and like where I live in jersey its a mini NY and always bump into someone you knew or now know.....MIK i absoultely agree with you, we have met some wonderful people from here and then there are those I dont wish to meet...everyone is entilted to their opinion, however doesnt mean your right or wrong either you get over and move on or u continue to argue a point that no one will see...so with that I love this site as dh and I have made friends and wow it was so helpful during all my research and helping us narrow it down to where and what we want...so for that I thank everyone...But always remember anyone can hide behind a computer!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:58 AM

98 posts, read 259,545 times
Wow, thank you for sharing. I'm looking so foward to moving there in July to Wesley Chapel and living a nice friendly and peaceful life with my family. To hear something so positive just prooves why I would want to be part of this community. Thanks. Janice

Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,152,016 times
CD&Z

Thanks for that reminder. I think it's important that we respect the opinions of others even if we disagree. This would be a boring place if we were all alike.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,496,713 times
I would love to run into some people on this board! That would be great!

You will find people you care for and don't care for in every setting, no matter WHERE you live and how small or large it is.

BTW: LAUSD has over 700,000 students and over 50,000 teachers and I was very glad to have such a huge network while I worked there! I ran into many of them even clear across "town" in Los Angeles. Maybe I am missing your point.

Dawn

Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,566 times
It is because of folks like all of you that our motivation and determination have stayed strong and positve. Thanks again. Staci, it has been too long!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:16 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,396,636 times
yes my friend it has, once we are all settled we will have lunch!!!!! hee

Old 02-23-2007, 01:17 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,965,593 times
I really appreciate this thread--it's a good message for people in general, but I think it is especially true for people moving from more traditionally aggressive areas. When I moved to Asheville, I noticed many people did not appreciate the snarky humor I had developed in L.A. Some people did, but in general I fit in better when I softened my attitude. The point of not being so anonymous is also true--and that's one of the big attractions for me. I'd LOVE to meet some of the people from this board, and I do wonder if there will be times when I'll be standing in line at a coffee shop or grocery and accidentally discover I'm next to someone from this board. That would be so cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte