Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,908 times

Advertisements

Hello. I hope it is not a problem to bring up race, as its a subject some people are sensitive about. However I am not promoting anything negative about any race.

Could anyone tell me which areas or towns in/near Charlotte have many Indians or Asians living in?

We are an Indian family who is moving there in April. I like diversity but don't necessarily want to be the "only" different guy on the block, if you know what I mean. Also I assume that areas with certain minorities also have shops and restaurants which cater to those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 09:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
I really don't know where a large congregation of Indians is, but the two Indian shops I visit the most are on South Blvd. near Pineville and there is a big Indian store in Matthews.

My friend moved here from NY and she cracks me up. She said that in NY she lived in a predominately Indian neighborhood but she couldn't find a "neighborhood" like that here so for the first couple of months any Indian she would see she was (in here words) "attack" them and ask them where the local Indian activities/groups were.

Dawn

Old 02-23-2007, 10:03 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzo View Post
Hello. I hope it is not a problem to bring up race, as its a subject some people are sensitive about. However I am not promoting anything negative about any race.

Could anyone tell me which areas or towns in/near Charlotte have many Indians or Asians living in?

We are an Indian family who is moving there in April. I like diversity but don't necessarily want to be the "only" different guy on the block, if you know what I mean. Also I assume that areas with certain minorities also have shops and restaurants which cater to those.
Well, if you are middle class or upper middle class no matter what your ethnicity you would live just about anywhere, except west or east Charlotte. Basically, the only color here that matters to anyone is green (as in money). The only groups that tend to cluster together are those living closer to the poverty level or below it. And the vast majority of those folks are renting in east or west Charlotte. So, sorry I can't really answer your question, there just aren't any Indian dense areas of the city that I am aware of. There are, however, many Indians here!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,676 times
We were/are considering a new development in fort Mill called Fair Oakes it is by Ryan homes. There were 9 family of Indian origion out of the 30 homes that were built at the time we looked in december. We are headed back down in april to make or final choice but now prices in Fair Oakes have gone up so I am not sure we can afford to buy there.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
After seeing several comments like this I can truly say that I am so glad we bought when we did (about 18 months ago). I can't believe how much some areas have jumped in price!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
We were/are considering a new development in fort Mill called Fair Oakes it is by Ryan homes. There were 9 family of Indian origion out of the 30 homes that were built at the time we looked in december. We are headed back down in april to make or final choice but now prices in Fair Oakes have gone up so I am not sure we can afford to buy there.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM

15 posts, read 78,488 times
As LM said it does not matter where you live -- most of the indians are scattered around charlotte. We have two Indian families in Rosedale. Rosedale is a good place if you plan to work in uptown / downtown.

There are a good concentration of people in the Mallard Creek / Autumn Park area -- there are a couple of indian stores in this area.

A good site to look at for indian movies / events is

www.saathee.com

Do let me know if you need more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte