Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,551 times

Advertisements

Im from up north Rhode Island and im looking to move to Matthews NC, i am 18 and i have been going down since 8/9 yrs old but i think its time to move on with life and do my own thing! Im wondeing if an1 can help me answer if its easy tryn to start a life out there on my own and gets thing rolling? I am wondering if there is easy jobs/cheap apartments/ ect if any1 has any help on this topic b4 march 28 i can take into i would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookz View Post
Im from up north Rhode Island and im looking to move to Matthews NC, i am 18 and i have been going down since 8/9 yrs old but i think its time to move on with life and do my own thing! Im wondeing if an1 can help me answer if its easy tryn to start a life out there on my own and gets thing rolling? I am wondering if there is easy jobs/cheap apartments/ ect if any1 has any help on this topic b4 march 28 i can take into i would greatly appreciate it!
To be brutally honest with you, what kind of jobs do you really expect to be able to get at 18 that are going to support you in a city like Charlotte? If you get a cheap apartment (under $450. a month for a one bedroom) you will be in very shady areas. Plan on at least $500 a month, but $600 is more realistic if you want to be relatively safe. When you rent they will want the first and last month's rent all at once. Then you have to get electricities turned on - count on $150. deposit just for that and at least a $75. bill every month. And then there are groceries and transportation costs like gas and insurance (count on a bare minimun of $50. a month if all you get is liability coverage, collision coverage in case your car is totaled will cost more like $120 a month). If you have been saving up for this and have at least $2000. to get started I guess you could do it, but then how will you ever get ahead? Working 40 hours a week at the kind of jobs you will be eligible for will barely get your living costs covered.

If you feel you really have no other options and have to be on your own at 18, then pick a smaller city where the rents won't be as high to be in safe areas. Look maybe at Greensboro. North Carolina has a wonderful community college system. In 24 months or less you can be certified and trained to do a number of things that will help you make more of a living wage. Give that some thought okay?

Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,551 times
i got my dad and brother and a few girls out there thats willing to move into 1 bed room in charlotte, i got about 3 g's worth to start off ive planned this out for 2 yrs since i was lil and i gotta do something sometime instead of never tryn i figure

Last edited by Dookz; 02-23-2007 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookz View Post
hey, well i have 2.7g's to start off with but the comunity college which areas? does it have website? Ive been plannin this out for almost 2 yrs
Good that you have been saving

Look into Central Piedmont Community College. Their main campus is uptown, but they have satellite campuses all around the county - including one in Matthews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte