Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 AM

225 posts, read 835,511 times

Advertisements

As an avid reader and lover of books, where is the best library in the area? By the best I mean an extensive and varied collection of fiction, non-fiction, research materials, etc. Location not as important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Good question! We have joined the Meck library system because the only Union County library close to us is so tiny! We use the South County Library on Rae Rd.

There is slated to be a huge Weddington library and it was supposed to break ground, but I have a friend on that committee and she told me that they don't have near the funds they need to even get started, so it could be a very, very long time before that happens.

To use the Meck. libraries is $45 per year for the whole family. Considering property taxes on my same home in Meck compared to Union Co. would exceed $1,000 per year, I would say $45 is a bargain.

Dawn

Old 02-23-2007, 12:39 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
As an avid reader and lover of books, where is the best library in the area? By the best I mean an extensive and varied collection of fiction, non-fiction, research materials, etc. Location not as important
Have you looked at the Union County Library webpage? You can look up books by title or author and see which library has it. I have found that useful.

There is also a great little store on 74...not sure if it is Monroe or Indian Trail...It is called "The Book Lady". You can trade in books you have read and you get store credit. She carries used books. I have found many out of print books there and love the place. Happy reading all!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Trade in books and get a credit! Are you for real? I have a hard time giving away books here. I had stacks of books I purchased around the house that I just recently gave away. But buying books adds up!

Dawn: is the $45 because you don't live in Meck Co. We don't have to pay to join the libraries here.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:07 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Default How about near Lake Norman

Great questions! I'd like to know about good libraries and book stores near Lake Norman.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
ok so union county library's too you have to pay 45.00 a year??? I cant believe for a PUBLIC library they charge????? sorry but even jersey its free...

Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 PM

235 posts, read 730,254 times
PAY TO JOIN??? I am baffled by this really I am. You pay taxes and such why must you pay for a library..wow..this might be worse then the snakes ....I can't imagine,,,guess if that's the case I will be using my Borders rewards card and earn some money back..wow..shaking my head.

Here is my favorite site for what to do with old books.

Paperbackswap.com

If you join please say you were referred by Momoftwo
This is free to join. CHECK IT OUT

Last edited by momoftwo418; 02-23-2007 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-23-2007, 02:12 PM

NJ and Mom,

Maybe the $45 is for people outside of Meck Co. In some cities you can only join in the jurisdiction you live in. This may be a way around that.

Momoftwo,
I will definetly check out the site. I still have a ton of paperbacks I am not paying a mover to haul.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Yes, but you are moving to Union County right? I was just saying that we have not found Union County to be an adequate library system and pay to use Meck's library system. It was our best option.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
Trade in books and get a credit! Are you for real? I have a hard time giving away books here. I had stacks of books I purchased around the house that I just recently gave away. But buying books adds up!

Dawn: is the $45 because you don't live in Meck Co. We don't have to pay to join the libraries here.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear! Yes, this is ONLY for those who wish to use the Meck. library system but who don't actually live in Meck. county.

We don't find the Union County library system adequate and the nearest Union Co. library is much farther from us than the Meck. library system.

If you use Union County libraries and you live in Union County it is FREE!

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte