Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to the Charlotte area sometime this year (2007). We currently live in Connecticut and feel its time to go somewhere more reasonable to live. There are 2 main topics we would like to get some information on:

1) Housing. I currently have 1.7 acres in Weddington and would like to build a house. I have no idea where to start in respects to looking for builders, but I also want to find a reasonable priced builder that would charge around 100 a SQ foot since I already brought land. Is this possible? Secondly, how does the scenario look if I wanted to be a general contractor and sub out jobs. Would this be possible in Charlotte area and how does the pricing look for sub contractors to do a frame, plumbing, electricity, drywall, etc... We are looking only to build no more than a 3500 SQ home. In Connecticut we subbed out the whole home and were able to build a 3222 SQ home for aroud 300K.. I would like to get some feedback on how subcontracting looks and works in Charlotte and whether its worth persuing or I should try and find a builder to do the whole thing. Please Advise.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2) Jobs. We found it very difficult to get any feedback through monster or Dice in respects to finding jobs. No one is replying to us and we sent out many resumes. Any type of feedback on agencies would be appreciated. We are attempting to look for jobs from CT and move as soon as we find one. Maybe this is why no one is calling us. Regardless, any help would be greatly appreciated. To steer you guys in the right direction for feedback I am a Senior .Net developer working for a major financial firm in CT and my wife is a Quality assurance mortgage underwriter manager..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,153,588 times
Sounds like Wachovia or Bank of America would be good job choices. You could probably find their websites on google and send a resume.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,174,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danerd View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate to the Charlotte area sometime this year (2007). We currently live in Connecticut and feel its time to go somewhere more reasonable to live. There are 2 main topics we would like to get some information on:

1) Housing. I currently have 1.7 acres in Weddington and would like to build a house. I have no idea where to start in respects to looking for builders, but I also want to find a reasonable priced builder that would charge around 100 a SQ foot since I already brought land. Is this possible? Secondly, how does the scenario look if I wanted to be a general contractor and sub out jobs. Would this be possible in Charlotte area and how does the pricing look for sub contractors to do a frame, plumbing, electricity, drywall, etc... We are looking only to build no more than a 3500 SQ home. In Connecticut we subbed out the whole home and were able to build a 3222 SQ home for aroud 300K.. I would like to get some feedback on how subcontracting looks and works in Charlotte and whether its worth persuing or I should try and find a builder to do the whole thing. Please Advise.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2) Jobs. We found it very difficult to get any feedback through monster or Dice in respects to finding jobs. No one is replying to us and we sent out many resumes. Any type of feedback on agencies would be appreciated. We are attempting to look for jobs from CT and move as soon as we find one. Maybe this is why no one is calling us. Regardless, any help would be greatly appreciated. To steer you guys in the right direction for feedback I am a Senior .Net developer working for a major financial firm in CT and my wife is a Quality assurance mortgage underwriter manager..

Thanks
I have a few headhunter contacts I have collected from some of my clients that have relocated -- PM me if you would like me to send them on to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: