Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 PM

191 posts, read 1,001,778 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Wesley Chapel in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I can plant. I heard there is a lot of clay in the ground. I wanted to plant hostas, peppermint ( for Mojitos ) an herb garden and some perennial flowers that I can plant once and not have to worry about year after year.

Does anyone have a green thumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:26 AM

139 posts, read 359,968 times
Wow, that's not a lot of replies! I guess it's early yet...

I would check out the nearest Botanical Gardens, you can usually see native plants that grow best in that climate. I don't live there yet so I can't tell you, but I plan on heading to the nearest Botanical Garden to see what everything looks like when I get there!

Old 02-25-2007, 05:11 AM

thanks Kelle - yea, I posted this late last night, around 11pm I think. I hope to get more responsed today!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:06 AM

225 posts, read 835,221 times
I hope you get more responses. I love flowers, but would also be interested in what type of trees other than the normal oaks, maple, etc..grow best in the area.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM

132 posts, read 471,622 times
Hmmmm....where to start? I am no Master Gardner, but my mom is (who lives in NC in Hendersonville) One book she highly recommends is the one put out by Southern Living The Southern Living Gardening Book. It clearly defines the areas and their climate zones. A lot of my gardening tends to be "Survivor Style" which means I research, buy the best plant I can afford, and hope it doesn't get "voted off" the garden LOL.

What kind of plants are you thinking? Flowering Shrubs? Roses? Annuals? Perrenials?

Hostas are great, but make sure you have good shade for them or they will bake. Peppermint will thrive, and as most herbs like heat, you should be ok. Shrubs- you will find crape myrtles do very well here, along with butterfly bushes. I can't tell you how many hummingbirds and butterflies we had last summer (granted this was here in GA) because of these 2 bushes! Lillies do so well here especially the Stella-de-ora variety. Purple Cone flower and all kinds of daisies do great here too.

I have had the best luck with going to a garden center and asking the folks there. Very often you can find the growers reps helping out, and they are a great resource.

Right now I am looking our at my garden, and there is one daffodil that is already blooming, with the rest not far behind. The iris are up about 3 inches, and the tigerlillies are popping out of the ground. Pansies are blooming that I planted last fall, and the butterfly bush already has new growth.

~sigh~ Sadly I can't take most of them with me to NC...but those that I can dig up are coming along for the ride

Hope this helps a little. If you have specific plants in mind I can always consult with mom

Anita

Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Default What is a Master Gardener?

What is a master gardener? Sounds like it's a club--and might be a good way to meet neighbors while learning about my new area.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Oh and I forgot- about the clay soil...you will want to amend the soil with some natural compost or organic matter (don't use sand). There is a lot you can do to really get better soil, but if it is really bad, then consider containers or raised beds that you can put better soil into.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 AM

A Master Gardener is someone who takes classes through the NC Cooperative Extenstion. They learn about native plants, plant classification and identification, gardening techniques etc. My mom really enjoyed her classes and volunteers at her local arboretum. I am not sure which county you are in, but here is the link for the one in Mecklenburg:

http://mecklenburg.ces.ncsu.edu/inde...age=lawngarden

Anita

Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 PM

thanks mom!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Donna- What area are you guys going to be in? I would love to try a Mojito....have heard a lot about them, but never actually tried one...so if you are mixin' let me know!

Edited to add that I just re-read your post...darn it we're not going to be near ya!

Anita

Last edited by thebearsmom; 02-25-2007 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte