Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,978 times

Advertisements

First let me say my intention is not to offend anyone. I just need to make sure my niece is safe.

My AA niece just told me she is considering moving to Regent Park in Fort Mill, SC (I thought she had settled on Charlotte...so I'm not sure what happened).
Anyway, I'm of an older generation and know I have bias thoughts about an African-American being in South Carolina.

Can anyone help me out? Will she stick out like a sore thumb?

I'm up north and just have no idea of the area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I noticed no one had answered your post. I have driven around RP, but don't know anyone who lives there and have no firsthand knowledge of the area except what I saw from my car. It looks nice - pretty area. I can't imagine that your niece would have any problems meshing right in w/ everyone.

I think that often people who do not live here have an impression that the South is racially divided, but that is not true. What divides people here is money - the haves and the have nots - and those groups are made up of many different races and ethnicities. If you have the money to buy in any given area, you will be accepted.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:45 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
I don't know anything about Regent Park specifically, but I can tell you there are a lot of African-Americans that live in Fort Mill. York County, SC is essentially just a suburb of Charlotte.

And for the record, SC has one of the highest percentages of African-Americans of all states in the country. Unfortunatley there are probably some stereotypes of the South that have shaded your view of the area. But don't worry, "We's everywhere down here", ha!!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley9999 View Post
First let me say my intention is not to offend anyone. I just need to make sure my niece is safe.

My AA niece just told me she is considering moving to Regent Park in Fort Mill, SC (I thought she had settled on Charlotte...so I'm not sure what happened).
Anyway, I'm of an older generation and know I have bias thoughts about an African-American being in South Carolina.

Can anyone help me out? Will she stick out like a sore thumb?

I'm up north and just have no idea of the area. Thanks in advance.
Smiley, Regent Park is thisclose to the Charlotte border even though it is technically in Fort Mill, SC. This part of SC is just an extension of the whole Charlotte metro area. There is no reason that I can think of that your neice would be unsafe or unwelcome there. This really is the NEW South - try not to we worried.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
I was just visiting a friend in Regent's Park yesterday in the Hampton section. Loves is correct, RP is almost an extension of Charlotte. I was able to get back to Matthews in 15 mins along H51 and Carolina Place Mall is 5 mins away. It's a gorgeous neighborhood and there are shops etc that you can walk to.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times
I understand your concern, based on history and stereotypes. But, truthfully the Charlotte area is one of the least racially divided areas I have ever lived or even traveled to. I actually find the north to be much more racially segregated.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
I understand your concern, based on history and stereotypes. But, truthfully the Charlotte area is one of the least racially divided areas I have ever lived or even traveled to. I actually find the north to be much more racially segregated.
With regard to the Charlotte area, I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM

221 posts, read 724,271 times
Regent Park is a wonderful neighborhood, but as many have already mentioned the Charlotte area is very diverse. I am sure that you neice will be very happy with her move.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,978 times
Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better about her move.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley9999 View Post
Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better about her move.
Come down and visit her, you might end up liking it enough to move yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte