Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 29,356 times

Advertisements

We are doing a very preliminary search for housing in North Charlotte (Concord, Harrisburg, Huntersville,etc.). We are definitely limited to living close to Concord (we will be attending church there 3 times per week), but my husband will be commuting uptown daily. We also like Cabarrus Co. education system based on the little research we've done.
So far we do not like the bland, look-alike big houses in Concord & surrounding. The only place remotely appealing & close to what we have now is in Afton Village (we LOVED Baxter Village, but too far of a commute to church & work). The only negative about Afton we've found is no outside pool/clubhouse. (we are at the pool all summer with the kiddos)
Is there another area we should consider that has houses with "character" and still a decent commute & school sytem? Wasn't sure about Matthews and the drive back to Concord for church-? Any suggestions in the $300-
400k would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
Wow you should have plenty of options in your price range. Monteith Park in Huntersville is nice. IF you would like we can get together and see if we can't find you that perfect home on the Northern side of the county.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 PM

60 posts, read 309,233 times
If you are looking to stay in the Concord, Harrisburg area-Afton Village is really the only community that "looks" like Baxter Village, although I may be forgetting one. Which church are you going to be attending? I know Crossroads is right down the way from Afton Village-my BIL attends church there.

Here are a few other communities that offer homes that are unique and many are by custom builders:
Bradford Park
Abbington
Morris Glen
Maple Bluff
Fenton-Dell
Clarehaven
Flowers Farm
Stallings Glen

Not all of the neighborhoods are pool communities.
In Huntersville, I would also check out MacAulay...really pretty homes with narrow streets, big front porches, etc. Definitely a pool there! Charlotteagent probably has more info on the Huntersville area than I do since I live in Concord.

I will tell you that if you do an MLS search on the neighborhoods I listed for the Harrisburg/Concord area, you won't find that many available. These are desirable neighborhoods and homes don't usually sit for very long. I live in one of the neighborhoods above and homes usually sell within 30 days-I swear all we get in the mail are detailed lists of current listings/pending sales/recently sold homes! Some of the neighborhoods may have lots available to build a new home on, though.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Good luck,
Nicole

Last edited by nicoled24; 02-27-2007 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-27-2007, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 29,356 times
Thank you both for your input- it gives me a direction to head toward. But, sounds like I shouldn't start looking until closer to the move if houses are going that fast. Do you have any thoughts/opinions on Matthews? I had heard there were excellent schools and some older homes. Or should I rule it out because of the commute time back & forth to church? (I believe our church would be on Poplar Tent Road in Concord-?)

Old 02-27-2007, 04:10 PM

60 posts, read 309,233 times
If your church will play a large role in your everyday life, there are plenty of options close by in Concord.

When you make another trip, take a look at the other areas you mentioned as well to get a better feel. You and your family will make the best decision-I'm sure of it!

Good luck,
Nicole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte