Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 03:40 PM

235 posts, read 731,517 times

Advertisements

Well here is a good question that was asked of me from my girlfriend who may want to move to NC as well. I didn't really know the answer and I am not sure if anyone will be willing to respond but here goes. She wants to know in order to live in Union County how much of a salary would they need to survive. She needs to be a stay at home mom for now as her youngest will only be starting school in Sept. So over all she wants to know if a family of four can live and not struggle on lets say 50 thousand a year. Can they get by with less? She said and I quote " we don't need furs and jewels just food clothing, shelter and to pay the bills and maybe be able to put a little away"

Anybody want to put a shout out about this?

Thanks
Talia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 03:54 PM

348 posts, read 463,286 times
I'd assume that'd depend on other things, such as any debt (school loans, credit cards, cars, etc), if any, they possibly might have.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,456,143 times
This is a very good ??, because its about what we do here, with the 2 of us salary wise. I don't know what we would make there. If someone could please answer, I think it would probably be very helpful to alot of newcomers. Other than the regular household bills, we have my 60 bucks a mo school pymt. TIA for all input

Old 03-03-2007, 06:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,963,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
Well here is a good question that was asked of me from my girlfriend who may want to move to NC as well. I didn't really know the answer and I am not sure if anyone will be willing to respond but here goes. She wants to know in order to live in Union County how much of a salary would they need to survive. She needs to be a stay at home mom for now as her youngest will only be starting school in Sept. So over all she wants to know if a family of four can live and not struggle on lets say 50 thousand a year. Can they get by with less? She said and I quote " we don't need furs and jewels just food clothing, shelter and to pay the bills and maybe be able to put a little away"

Anybody want to put a shout out about this?

Thanks
Talia
I am no financial expert - so don't quote me! I do believe there are definitely areas in Union county where you could live on $50,000 a year - just not the "hot" or "trendy" areas of west Union county. If you looked more in the Monroe city limits, or other smaller communities in north or east Union county you could find homes for under $150,000, which is where you need to stay in that annual salary range. I will try to post you some MLS #'s to homes in the areas I am talking about to show you what they are like.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,963,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am no financial expert - so don't quote me! I do believe there are definitely areas in Union county where you could live on $50,000 a year - just not the "hot" or "trendy" areas of west Union county. If you looked more in the Monroe city limits, or other smaller communities in north or east Union county you could find homes for under $150,000, which is where you need to stay in that annual salary range. I will try to post you some MLS #'s to homes in the areas I am talking about to show you what they are like.
okay, here are a few MLS #'s I found for you for homes in the Monroe area in what should be your price range:

Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,515,549 times
Just be very careful of the school her child will go to. Make sure that is your TOP priority, to find out about the school BEFORE you buy.

Now, you could live further south in Waxhaw and use Waxhaw Elem. and find a house for under $200K.

Dawn

Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM

525 posts, read 1,808,306 times
I think you can, however, it also depends on your own financial situation, if you are not in debt up to your eyeballs and have good credit so you can get a good interest rate vs a subprime lender, plus outgoing expenses like medical, dental, prescriptions, car payments, gas etc if you can budget and manage those you can. I think deciding to stay is very individual, what I think someone can live on is different than what they can actually live on. It comes down to wants vs needs. Plus unless you have a high paying job, it almost wouldn't pay you to work when you factor in extra gas, commuting time, daycare, wardrobe plus increase in tax bracket.
BTW Indian Trail has homes for less than 200K..I know Brandon Oaks does.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:06 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,434,752 times
check out inidan trail T, she can do it for 150k and little more

better off there....

Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 PM

235 posts, read 731,517 times
I saw a post on another NC area and people were listing some crazy salaries...lol...made me wonder if even we are in over our heads. It seemed like everyone was saying they made over 100thousand a year...YIKES...is that the norm down there? My girlfriend was like there is no way her Dh can earn that in his position...not to mention I know mine can't...

Old 03-03-2007, 11:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,808,306 times
Ha yeah I don't know..that is abig salary even the avg household income in DC/Northern Va is about 75k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte