Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM

54 posts, read 139,798 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinions , good or bad , in regards to the Brandon Oaks community in Indian Trail? Also, any opinions in general of Indian Trail. My girlfriend will be working in Gastonia. What will that commute be like? I tell her it will be brutal, but she is from the NE and was used to driving 1 hour each way. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited by bcstevyt; 01-05-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM

87 posts, read 285,764 times
I drove to belmont from indian trail on new year's night and made it there in about 50 minutes. Rush hour traffic might make it longer. If she works odd hours, she can probably hit that hour commute. Dont think I would want to do it 5 days a week though.

I live in Brandon Oaks. and like it a lot. However, the HOA doesn't seem too put together. Maybe I'm just out of touch, but it seems when we initially moved here, there were a lot of community activities, and now, not a lot is going on. With that said, it probably has a lot to do with volunteers planning things- and I'm just as guilty in not stepping up.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Traveling from IT to Gastonia 5 days a wk during peak times would not be pleasant. Like Indian trailer said above, maybe she works off hrs where the commute won't be so bad...

In regards to the HOA in BO, not sure what community activities you are talking about? Do you goto the monthly HOA meetings offered to the public? I know 1 or 2 personally who are on the board and feel that they do a good job. We also have help from the neighborhood watch committee......

Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,747 times
I travel from IT to Arrowood Rd/485 and that is about the extent I would go. To go further to Gastonia will be extremely brutal, even for someone from the NE. In rush hour it takes me about 40 min so she will be looking at minimally 1 hour if she is lucky. I would look in SC actually if that was my commute.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM

277 posts, read 661,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I travel from IT to Arrowood Rd/485 and that is about the extent I would go. To go further to Gastonia will be extremely brutal, even for someone from the NE. In rush hour it takes me about 40 min so she will be looking at minimally 1 hour if she is lucky. I would look in SC actually if that was my commute.
I do the same route to Arrowood Rd , and it's 40-45 minutes during prime time rush hour...commute home always takes a bit longer due to traffic on Old Monroe Rd.

Continuing up 485 to 85 west into Gastonia would be another 15-20 minutes, depending on weather and traffic.

Take this as an example - commute in this morning, left home at 7:40, arrived at office, just west of the Arrowood Road exit, at 8:40...no accidents (except for a 3 car hit on Brandon Oaks P'way! No backup created), just sluggish traffic due to the rain and mist.

Commuting from BA to Gastonia would become tiring very quickly.

Of course, given today's job market, if the situation requires it, you do what you have to do. BA to Gastonia is painless compared to Staten Island to downtown Brooklyn via the VNB/Gowanus/BQE trail of torture....

Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 PM

87 posts, read 285,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

In regards to the HOA in BO, not sure what community activities you are talking about? Do you goto the monthly HOA meetings offered to the public? I know 1 or 2 personally who are on the board and feel that they do a good job. We also have help from the neighborhood watch committee......
I guess I thought that there were things like block parties and community garage sales, etc. Maybe it's just something I created in my head that I thought was part of BOaks.

I didn't mean to make it sound like they do a bad job

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTrailer View Post
I guess I thought that there were things like block parties and community garage sales, etc. Maybe it's just something I created in my head that I thought was part of BOaks.

I didn't mean to make it sound like they do a bad job
No, I didn't take it that you meant they did a bad job.

There are plenty of block parties in BO (at least from what I've seen ). Ours was organized by our neighbors. (not by the HOA). Our block is a pretty tight knit group. (I think its a good thing IMO)...

In regards to the garage sales, I believe we have a community gs once a year....the HOA can give you more details on when it is...(september rings a bell I believe..)

hope this helps...

Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 AM

54 posts, read 139,798 times
Thanks for the input.. We liked that area so much.. You seem to get more bang for your buck in Indian Trail and the tax rate is great. My GF is working in Gastonia and I am off of Arrowood.. Any other areas that we should look that we have comparable price ranges and tax rates as Indian Trail that might have an easier commute? Any opinions of zip 28216? We saw some nice homes there. I think the tax rate is much higher there though. I saw some good and bad opinions of that zip..

Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
painful commute. Very large neighborhood with lots of homes for sale, some foreclosures, should be able to negotiate good price.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
painful commute. Very large neighborhood with lots of homes for sale, some foreclosures, should be able to negotiate good price.
There were some floor plans in there that I really liked when Ryan first started the neighborhood. And thank goodness they do now have a redlight to help folks get out of the neighborhood in rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte