Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times

Advertisements

I know that many newcomers used to the serious cold that we will be experiencing this weekend will dismiss the many warnings, etc around it. I know I did the first time that it happened after I moved here. HOWEVER, you are not in_________up north anymore!!

Your house has not been built for this kind of cold. What does that mean? Your pipes are really prone to freeze, even if you have your heat on at a decent temperature. (True story; this happened to me) SO, make sure to leave a bath tub faucet dripping ALL NIGHT. (maybe more than one if you have a large house) yes, that will cost, however, it is cheaper than replacing your pipes.

If your pipes DO freeze, don't panic. Open up the faucet in a bathtub (or two) about half way and leave it like that. As the pipes defrost the next day, there will be somewhere for the pressure to go and you will avoid bursting those pipes.

Prepare yourself for a large heating bill next month. Consider keeping yourself and your family in just one room that you keep comfortably warm while the rest of the house is set at a much lower temp.

Really cold temps are a little more dangerous down here since we don't have them that often. Be Careful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
you stated turn faucet half way open? not just a drip and if it is a drip how much of drip ?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 AM

Sunny, the only time you put the faucet half way open is if the pipes have actually frozen.

To *prevent* them from freezing, leave them drip...so that a steady, small stream is coming out of the faucet all the time. I suggest the bathtub because it is a bigger area and less likely to overflow.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
you stated turn faucet half way open? not just a drip and if it is a drip how much of drip ?
As low a drip/steady stream as you can make it. So long as there is some type of movement of water in the pipes, it will keep them from freezing.

GREAT info Cubbie!

BxRosie

Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 AM

116 posts, read 333,079 times
I'd also cover any outside spickets with those polystyrene (sp?) $2 covers from Home Depot/Lowes. I didn't during the bad ice storm several years ago and it cost me a burst pipe into my kitchen from the fronzen spicket/pipe on the outside wall. Lucky I was home at the time and saw this surge of water all over the floor as the pipes defrosted. Had I not been home it would of been one heck of a mess!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Great suggestions! I hope people are reading, as truly, conditions may cost people w/ burst pipes if precautions are not taken! Thanks for the reminder, CHI!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
So doing laundry or washing dishes before you crash for the night would be a good thing?

And who going to put either up ....hehe

Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Question-I have four bathrooms. One downstairs and the other three upstairs. Should I run all three? And just for the night? What about tomorrow when at work?? Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Everyone is out of faucet insulators right now from Waxhaw to Monroe.

Home Depot, Lowes, Black Hawk, Ace and Renfro's

Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Question-I have four bathrooms. One downstairs and the other three upstairs. Should I run all three? And just for the night? What about tomorrow when at work?? Thanks
your upstairs ones should be ok. I would just do the downstairs. If it goes above freezing tomorrow, you'll be alright. It is the low teens to single digits that will freeze them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte