Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2006, 05:24 PM

21 posts, read 70,113 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please tell me what county Charlotte is in please? The maps I have are confusing and so is the Charlotte website. Either that or I need some excedrin! Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 06:12 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
Mecklenburg County. At least I think I have that spelled correctly.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Default County...

Thanks...for some reason I missed that. I need to get some info on places to work and live "reasonably". I also need some rental info for some other family members. What areas are considered more affordable (say a home purchase for 150K to 200K or an apt for 600 a month)? any ideas??

Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 PM

Sorry, I live at least 5 hours from Charlotte in the Eastern part of the state. Don't worry. There are plenty of people coming to Charlotte and can give a better idea of the housing opportunities and all that are available although I believe a lot of them are looking at Matthews, Waxhaw, and some of the smaller towns on the outskirts of town. With Charlotte being North Carolina's largest city, and knowing some about the housing costs in Raleigh, I would imagine the housing costs are high for North Carolina in Charlotte. Perhaps that is why the most of the new comers are heading to the 'burbs or whatever you call it. Where I live is out and out country or rural.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:30 PM

Thanks Beth...is that you name? I found some websites I can check so I will be doing tons of research. Out in the country sounds nice....after all the heat, bugs and cactus here I am ready for change.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:03 AM

76 posts, read 453,615 times
All the maps are confusing because the roads are laid out SO *****y! Nothing is straight here, they all twist and curve and you very rarely will be driving North or East it will always be northeast or southeast...always at an angle. That's the hardest thing to get used to here. We were used to a nice grid system but the roads were straight, the blocks connected, and the roads kept the same name- That is not the case here! So....stock up on the excedrin...and get ready! It can drive you nuts for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I love it here BUT the roads do drive me nuts!!!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriiter-m
Thanks Beth...is that you name? I found some websites I can check so I will be doing tons of research. Out in the country sounds nice....after all the heat, bugs and cactus here I am ready for change.

Actually my name is Elizabeth. But there is a whole houseful of Elizabeth's around here and we all go by some form of Elizabeth. My legal name is nearly a foot long written out. After all the Elizabeth's started coming out of the woodwork, I took the name Bethany which is Hebrew for "House of Poverty" which just about fits where I live to a tee. LOL
We have a Beth Ann also and it was just too confusing for all of us to be called merely Beth. So I came up with Bethany when I was working way back in the 80's. I answer to about anything, even my father's middle name which is my middle name, Henri.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:45 PM

336 posts, read 513,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindync
All the maps are confusing because the roads are laid out SO *****y! Nothing is straight here, they all twist and curve and you very rarely will be driving North or East it will always be northeast or southeast...always at an angle. That's the hardest thing to get used to here. We were used to a nice grid system but the roads were straight, the blocks connected, and the roads kept the same name- That is not the case here! So....stock up on the excedrin...and get ready! It can drive you nuts for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I love it here BUT the roads do drive me nuts!!!
Just add the satellite navigation option to your next car.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 AM

76 posts, read 453,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
Just add the satellite navigation option to your next car.
You know what, we have it! But we get in some areas and it says we are off the road. It shows us going across fields! I guess they are building roads around here faster than updating the software?

The roads just curve so I have learned, the logic of "I'll just go up a block and cut over..." does NOT work here. Once you realize that, you save yourself alot of trouble.

The worst time I got lost was on the way home from Concord Mills. I missed 485 (my husband should have told me it was RIGHT after you get on 85) and kept on driving....ended up in uptown at 5:00. I kissed the front door when I got home that day!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindync
You know what, we have it! But we get in some areas and it says we are off the road. It shows us going across fields! I guess they are building roads around here faster than updating the software?

The roads just curve so I have learned, the logic of "I'll just go up a block and cut over..." does NOT work here. Once you realize that, you save yourself alot of trouble.

The worst time I got lost was on the way home from Concord Mills. I missed 485 (my husband should have told me it was RIGHT after you get on 85) and kept on driving....ended up in uptown at 5:00. I kissed the front door when I got home that day!
Your right...it does not work as well as you would like out here (so much of this is new growth)...my friend has a new car with GPS and directions to her home are still not on it (and she has lived in her home for over 2 years). The same applies to mapquest as well...I have gotten lost more times than I can count using those maps. When there is free time...I will just drive around different areas/roads without any real destination...not only is it fun...but it was the best way for me to learn all of the back roads and such. Are there times I still get lost?...oh you bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte