Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times

Advertisements

I'm with Ani. We rarely go out to eat anymore. But there's a nice little Chinese restaurant called Bamboo 7 that has good food & isn't expensive. When we do eat out we go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 PM

94 posts, read 251,752 times
I highly recommend Joel's sushi in Mooresville off of Brawley School Road. Family owned and operated. They state on their website that they will not raise prices or lower portions due to the economy. Food is excellent! Prices are great! Exactly the kind of restaurant I want to support.

WELCOME HOME

Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Brian, btw, you are spending too much money. Instead of the double cheesburgers, substitute to McDouble's and you'll save .60 a burger.....
McDouble's you say....

Hey, a buck twenty back in my pocket works.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Just something wrong with the overall logic. Sure it's cool and all to support a local business, but aren't you inadvertently risking taking down the bigger business that probably employs more people?

If everyone decided to only buy their hammers, nails, and drills at a family owned hardware store that employs five or six people, aren't you running the risk of taking out a Home Depot or Lowes that employs how many people?

I have little loyalty to anything that doesn't help me retain a few extra bucks (double cheeseburgers aside). If you take the logic of "No more corporate business" and apply it everywhere, you're going to come out on the short end in a pretty big way. These days that's something you can't afford to do.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,150 times
No Lowe's or Home Depot is going out of business because people support one little hardware store...they have a much more diversified business model than that, and I doubt that much of the profits come from small-ticket items.

Nonetheless, one of the argument for supporting locally owned businesses is that the profits stay in the community. There's nothing wrong with having both, but having locally owned businesses is what makes a community unique. When I go to Owen's Bagels, I know that the owners are invested in the community. Same with Dilworth Drug...the people running these places are not just business owners, but neighbors. I think that especially in terms of restaurants, you can get comparably priced meals at locally owned places that you can at at an Applebee's, Chili's or Olive Garden. Fast food is a little different story...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
And, the additional problem is, there are not enough privately-owned restaurants (or any kind of store for that matter) out there....we are a city of chain stores...

Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
McDouble's you say....

Hey, a buck twenty back in my pocket works.
Yes.....

1.60/double cheesburger

1.06/mcdouble...(it replaced the dble cheesburger on the dollar menu)

The only difference is that a mcdouble you get one slice of cheese opposed to two w/the double cheesburger

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Yes.....

1.60/double cheesburger

1.06/mcdouble...(it replaced the dble cheesburger on the dollar menu)

The only difference is that a mcdouble you get one slice of cheese opposed to two w/the double cheesburger

You know I was wondering what on earth a McDouble was!!! They're charging me .54 for the extra slice of cheese?!?!?!? Man, screw that.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM

10 posts, read 36,101 times
Here are some restaurants making an effort to buy locally grown products:

T1 Tapas (Huntersville - Birkdale Village)
Custom Shop (Charlotte - Elizabeth Ave)
Fig Tree (Charlotte - 7th Street)
Big Daddy's Burger Bar ( Myers Park - East blvd - the ostrich burger is amazing!)

You should also check out the Know Your Farms Local Food Club. They support local farms and deliver locally grown food around Charlotte.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 AM

26 posts, read 61,442 times
i'm just a few houses from fig tree. they may buy a few carrots locally, but most of their meats is flown in a few thousand miles at least along while being one of the snootiest places in charlotte. sorry for the hate parade, but i've tried to eat there twice and both were bad experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte