Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

I got an estimate and about fell off my chair.

Anyone know a nice little home grown shop somewhere that will install a roll bar in my 97 Miata? Son is gonna start driving it when he starts his clinicals, cause he will have to drive to Asheville from Boone daily. This will be gas efficient for him.

However, I am staying awake at night worrying about rollovers and I can't let him have that car w/o a roll bar installed. No way.

So anyone know someone reliable and well priced who can install a roll bar so my son will be safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 PM

168 posts, read 505,793 times
If you already have the bar and you need some welding work done I would suggest Henn Automotive in Waxhaw, if that is anywhere close to where you live. I have used them for years they may not be super cheap but they do good work and when it comes to a roll bar install I might not go with the lowest bidder.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
I wonder if any of the machine/fabrication shops that mainly do NASCAR work need business? I keep hearing about layoffs in the racing world. Maybe they can cut you a deal?

If not, it might be cheaper to trade the car in for a hard top!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
I would think that an auto body shop would be able to do the work. In Pineville, you might try Jerry Rhynes Jerry Rhyne's Collision Repair

Might be worth a shot!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:50 AM

You guys are great! These are all great suggestions (except trading the car in - now you know, Amploud, I ain't gonna do that!!!!)

And BZEP - you are so right. I want someone who knows what he is doing and has installed bars before.

No one knows any of the guys who do (or did) fabrication work for any of the NASCAR teams?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM

Now you all know I can't let go of the Animobile.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times
get out, ani! i don't think i have ever known that the miata came without a roll bar (and i almost bought one when i opted instead for the cabrio back in 2001)!

i am curious to see how they install the roll bar...will someone go with a traditional roll bar, or will they use the built-in steel backseat headrests like are in my current car?

hey, will you let us know how this is built out once it's finished?

btw...GREAT car!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 PM

This is what I had found and thought I would order - unless someone else has a vendor:

Flyin' Miata : Safety : Hard Dog Sport rollbars : M1 Hard Dog Sport

Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 PM

677 posts, read 2,237,084 times
If you haven't bought the roll bar yet, find yourself a good miata owner's forum and browse through the threads on roll bars. I know for all the cars that I own, I have a forum full of enthusiasts that have bought and commented on almost all after market products available. I can only assume miata owners have the same kind of community.

To that same end, you might have some luck posting on there about where to get a roll bar installed in the Charlotte area by someone who's actually had it done there for a direct referral.

Also, since you're use to driving that miata without a roll bar, expect the roll bar to stiffen up the chasis and your driving experience will change and you and your son will need to adjust. This goes for almost any convertible though that you add a roll cage to.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
If you haven't bought the roll bar yet, find yourself a good miata owner's forum and browse through the threads on roll bars. I know for all the cars that I own, I have a forum full of enthusiasts that have bought and commented on almost all after market products available. I can only assume miata owners have the same kind of community.

To that same end, you might have some luck posting on there about where to get a roll bar installed in the Charlotte area by someone who's actually had it done there for a direct referral.

Also, since you're use to driving that miata without a roll bar, expect the roll bar to stiffen up the chasis and your driving experience will change and you and your son will need to adjust. This goes for almost any convertible though that you add a roll cage to.
Yeah . . . I had not thought about how that will affect the driving experience.

I really would like to get a rec from someone who has had a rollbar installed. I found the rollbar through the Miata forum but had not thought about finding an installer that way (DUH!) So I really appreciate your mentioning that.

I know I probably am being overly concerned (about rollovers). I have owned convertibles before this one and never really gave it that much concern. But somehow, as a parent, the thoughts of giving him a car that has no protection in a rollover (especially w/ mountain driving) . . . I won't rest well unless that thing has a roll bar . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte