Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM

345 posts, read 871,584 times

Advertisements

I have TWC internet and cable... I recently got a 46" 1080p Samsung LCD..with TWC most channels are NOT HD we could only see about 10 HD channels. So I have decided to cancel and find a service with more HD channels.

I'm in Concord area..just off poplar tent road..not too far from charlotte.

Please suggest me whether I should go for Dish network or Directv? Any links for deals/packages? we don't watch sports at home..so, NOT looking for specific sports channels. just the news, movies, discovery, hgtv, etc.. Please suggest.

Now if I move from TWC cable..internet costs me 50$..any suggestions for cheaper internet? How is windstream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
TWC offers a slew of HD channels, but you have to have a digital cable package to get them.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:10 PM

345 posts, read 871,584 times
I do have digital package, with 250, but I get only 5-10 hd's (taking sport channels out).. What about Directv and Dish, how many HD channels they provide?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
I do have digital package, with 250, but I get only 5-10 hd's (taking sport channels out).. What about Directv and Dish, how many HD channels they provide?

That's impossible. There's a LOT more than 5-10 HD stations. Keep looking from between the 200 and 300 range of your stations.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That's impossible. There's a LOT more than 5-10 HD stations. Keep looking from between the 200 and 300 range of your stations.
Brian - more will be coming on Feb 13th! The more the merrier!

Time Warner Cable: The Carolinas (http://www.timewarnercable.com/Carolinas/programming/channelChangeUpdate.html - broken link)

I sympathize with the OP because when I first moved here, what TWC had was pretty much the same thing I had with Cablevision in NJ. Plus, it was a little cheaper here, too! But now, when I look at the Cablevision line up where I used to live, it's apparent that TWC has a paltry number of HD channels relative to Cablevision and there is no longer much, if any, of a price differential anymore!

Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM

28 posts, read 140,370 times
We used to have TWC. Got an HD tv and wasn't really impressed with the amount of HD with the price (and the rising price at that). We also had RR bundled. After some research, we now have Dish only HD w/ DVR (with locals) and Windstream Internet- Greenstreak. The Greenstreak is at a lower rate (3.0mps) but we have not really noticed a difference in our daily Internet speed. The Dish network all HD channels isn't too bad. Somewhat selective channels but its what works for us with the plan we chose. Overall we are paying $30 less a month (and that is before TWC did rate increases). Windstream has had excellent customer service- they are local and speak English! Right now, we aren't going anywhere. Very pleased w/ it.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Brian - more will be coming on Feb 13th! The more the merrier!

Time Warner Cable: The Carolinas (http://www.timewarnercable.com/Carolinas/programming/channelChangeUpdate.html - broken link)

Ooooohhhh Telemundo! That means the return of Sabado El Gigante!!!!!

I'm sure at least one person out there knows what I'm talking about.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 PM

286 posts, read 1,045,833 times
I have Dish DVR and I get 23 HD channels not including locals (ABC, etc) sports, or movie channels. I have two movie packages. I pay $60/mo. Check out their DishDVR Advantage. If you're interested please PM me so I can refer you. I've had Dish for over 6 years and always thought it was superior. I LOVE their DVR reciever.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaljh View Post
We used to have TWC. Got an HD tv and wasn't really impressed with the amount of HD with the price (and the rising price at that). We also had RR bundled. After some research, we now have Dish only HD w/ DVR (with locals) and Windstream Internet- Greenstreak. The Greenstreak is at a lower rate (3.0mps) but we have not really noticed a difference in our daily Internet speed. The Dish network all HD channels isn't too bad. Somewhat selective channels but its what works for us with the plan we chose. Overall we are paying $30 less a month (and that is before TWC did rate increases). Windstream has had excellent customer service- they are local and speak English! Right now, we aren't going anywhere. Very pleased w/ it.
Windstream is now owned by AT&T? (I think) which makes their service DSL.

Still no viable option away from TWC.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
Regarding internet TW will give you the most consistent bandwidth (download and upload speeds). Windstream bandwidth can vary greatly based on your distance from the central office. For instance they advertise 6mbps, you may get 2mpbs down if you're in a new community or rural area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte