Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 02:59 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
LOOK I KNOW THERE IS CRIME BUT IT ALL ABOUT WHERE YOU GO AND USE SOME STREET SMARTS. YOU ALWAYS HEAR ABOUT THE NEGATIVES AND NOT THE POSITIVES OF CHARLOTTE AND THE MEDIA IS TO BLAME ON SOME OF THIS IF IT BLEED IT LEADS. WHEN USING THE ATMS GO TO WELL LIT ONE IN BETTER AREAS. THAT LESSON NUMBER 1 AND IT DIDN'T COST A PENNY. THE ODDS ARE LESS GREATER IF YOU GO TO AREAS WITH LESS CRIME AND OF COURSE THERE CRIME BUT SOMETIMES IT START WITH YOU ALSO.
The media is to blame on some of this...that's hysterical. Absolutely hysterical. And if the media didn't report on it there'd be backlash about the media not informing it's viewership/readership. I don't know about you but if there was a murder or a rash of break ins close by, well heck...I think I'd like to know. It's that whole thing of wanting to be an informed citizen and all.

Hey, how about this: If nobody bleeds then something else has to lead, right? If the crime didn't happen, then there'd be nothing violent to report.

Remember that huge rash of carjackings this past summer? The excuse was that it was hot and you get the restless kids out. Okay, yeah...that's the cause. I think the carjacked was only thinking of the effect...and they were in numbers. I certainly didn't blame SOC, CNC, or charlotte.com for reporting it, I blame the scum who actually committed the crime.

And for all of the excuses such as "most crimes are domestic or drug related", or, "in 'x' amount of cases the victim knew the assailant", nobody has ever properly justified why it's still a good thing to move near all of that. If I found out that my would be next door neighbor raped his daughter, I wouldn't justify it by saying, "it's okay, he knew his victim" and move my family right next to him.

I don't know...not saying there aren't nice areas of Charlotte because there are, but there's a reason why this and the difficulty in finding a job here are still big issues on this forum.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM

40 posts, read 97,876 times
Default crime in charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggz View Post
I visited Charlotte. researched all the necessary things and was ready to set a date to get in my car and move.
I heard about some crime in Charlotte and felt since there is crime everywhere that it shouldn't be an issue. That is until I started going through the material at the above link. The types of crimes committed. Coupled with the feeling that the criminal justice system in Charlotte seems to not want criminals locked up has made me reconsider my position.

I live in Brooklyn and I was born and raised in Harlem. I've been in Los Angels and witnessed a few shootings there. In Harlem I remember when the drug trade was like going to a strip mall. Everything was out in the open. People got killed, drugs were sold. Oh well.

Yet the difference I see in the type of crime Charlotte has is that it is senseless crime. You can't sit down and figure out why it is being committed. For instance: 4 men drive through Charlotte robbing people at Gun Point. They shoot a guy in the buttocks and take his cell phone ! Why? It does not make sense. Yet a guy robbing a bank makes sense. That is until the robber goes into a bank ( in Charlotte ) with a note saying " You have 18 seconds to give me $600.00 or I will be killed." Have you ever heard of someone robbing a bank asking for no more or no less than $600.00 ? It just does not compute.

This coupled with one 26 year old male who has been arrested 45 times! Yes in my opinion crime in Charlotte is out of control. People are doing home invasions and stealing X-Boxes ! WTF ! Then we have the murders. People jumping in your car at the gas station and forcing you to drive to a secluded area where you will be raped or robbed ! Someone knocking on your door constantly until you open it and then they stick a gun in your face.

This is wild. NEVER in my life have I witnessed anything like this. Years ago I worked at a Police Department in California so when I say I have never witnessed this type of crime. I say it through experience with my perspective coming from being on both sides of the law. It's like the people committing the crime either know they will not be caught, they want to get caught or they know that if they get caught. The sentence will be a lenient one.

I do like Charlotte and I'd like to know if anyone has personally been a victim of crime while in Charlotte. What precautions do you take and most importantly. Do you feel safe?
We too looked into buying a home there...I was sooo excited till I read about the crime....65 homicides since last Thursday down from 85 at this time last year. Holly heyck....no place I want to move to. Too bad...hope it changes as I was very disappointed and the new homes are so reasonable.
What's going on there?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer2 View Post

We too looked into buying a home there...I was sooo excited till I read about the crime....65 homicides since last Thursday down from 85 at this time last year. Holly heyck....no place I want to move to. Too bad...hope it changes as I was very disappointed and the new homes are so reasonable.
What's going on there?
I am not trying to defend our murder rate as being good or anything (even one is too many) - but 70 murders a year in a city of this size population is not really that high when compared to other cities of similar size. And given that 90% of those murders WERE NOT RANDOM I'd say your chances of being a murder victim in Charlotte are rather tiny. You are certainly free to live wherever you feel is best, but there are many worse places to live than Charlotte, this is actually a great place to be

Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default Columbus, OH

Do you think of Columbus, Ohio as a "safe city?" I do.

I just checked on the crime stats for various cities - trying to find another metro about the size of CLT. Columbus proper has more citizens and I did not check out the MSA; however, I feel it would be very close as I see Columbus used in other demographic studies as a comp for CLT.

The statistics are very comparable. I realize these stats are for 2003, but in that year, Columbus had 109 murders.

mod cut

Last edited by Yac; 01-07-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 PM

102 posts, read 119,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am not trying to defend our murder rate as being good or anything (even one is too many) - but 70 murders a year in a city of this size population is not really that high when compared to other cities of similar size. And given that 90% of those murders WERE NOT RANDOM I'd say your chances of being a murder victim in Charlotte are rather tiny. You are certainly free to live wherever you feel is best, but there are many worse places to live than Charlotte, this is actually a great place to be
people make it look like charlotte is a huge city, but it is not. the murders may be equivalent to other cities, but the amount of property crime in here is huge. worse. clumsy. dirty. idiotic. unbelivable.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlazygc View Post
people make it look like charlotte is a huge city, but it is not. the murders may be equivalent to other cities, but the amount of property crime in here is huge. worse. clumsy. dirty. idiotic. unbelivable.
You seem to be taking it the other way. It is a major metro, it's not a small town with a church bell in the center of it and a 2 lane run road.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
You seem to be taking it the other way. It is a major metro, it's not a small town with a church bell in the center of it and a 2 lane run road.
i moved here from denver, co. i did not see the same amount of crime there. is it a small town with a church bell ?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
At least it's better than it was back in 1993

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/images/graphics/homicides/2007/ (broken link)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:30 AM

58 posts, read 181,532 times
These stats scare me. Crime is my biggest hesitation in moving to CLT. Even the fact that there are so many threads on this with many passionate responses makes me realize this is a very real issue.

I was reading some of the threads on Steele Creek and walking to Bi-Lo, Walmart etc. How safe is the South Park area considered? Would most women feel safe walking to the Morrowcroft Shopping Center, Philips Place and the South Park Mall? The area struck me as being safe when I visited there this past weekend but without living in the area it is tough to really know. I am leaning toward living in South Park because there is so much with in walking distance...if I am not safe walking around then it defeats the purpose and I might as well return my serach to the burbs.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I've wondered about crime in Charlotte, too. When I look at Money Mag/CCN Best Places to Live 2006, Charlotte by comparison is worrisome.

For example, the 'Best Places' average for Personal Crime Risk is 45. 100 is national average, lower is better.

What is Charlotte? 214.

Property Crime Risk is 74 for Best Places average (again, 100 is nat'l average).
Charlotte? 209.

Personal crime incidents per 100,00: 228 is Best Places average, Charlotte is 1,077.

And Property Crime incidents are twice the Best Places average: Charlotte is 6,667, Best Places average is 3,105.

Even with all the caveats and disclaimers about the criteria for these stats, Charlotte is not looking good.

Don't even get me started on Air Quality Index and school performance!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL3712000.html

Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
At least it's better than it was back in 1993

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/images/graphics/homicides/2007/ (broken link)
what a positive answer, that makes me feel so safe now. What progress in 14 yrs... you guys just wow me with your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte