Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 PM

39 posts, read 186,657 times

Advertisements

I visited Charlotte. researched all the necessary things and was ready to set a date to get in my car and move.
I heard about some crime in Charlotte and felt since there is crime everywhere that it shouldn't be an issue. That is until I started going through the material at the above link. The types of crimes committed. Coupled with the feeling that the criminal justice system in Charlotte seems to not want criminals locked up has made me reconsider my position.

I live in Brooklyn and I was born and raised in Harlem. I've been in Los Angels and witnessed a few shootings there. In Harlem I remember when the drug trade was like going to a strip mall. Everything was out in the open. People got killed, drugs were sold. Oh well.

Yet the difference I see in the type of crime Charlotte has is that it is senseless crime. You can't sit down and figure out why it is being committed. For instance: 4 men drive through Charlotte robbing people at Gun Point. They shoot a guy in the buttocks and take his cell phone ! Why? It does not make sense. Yet a guy robbing a bank makes sense. That is until the robber goes into a bank ( in Charlotte ) with a note saying " You have 18 seconds to give me $600.00 or I will be killed." Have you ever heard of someone robbing a bank asking for no more or no less than $600.00 ? It just does not compute.

This coupled with one 26 year old male who has been arrested 45 times! Yes in my opinion crime in Charlotte is out of control. People are doing home invasions and stealing X-Boxes ! WTF ! Then we have the murders. People jumping in your car at the gas station and forcing you to drive to a secluded area where you will be raped or robbed ! Someone knocking on your door constantly until you open it and then they stick a gun in your face.

This is wild. NEVER in my life have I witnessed anything like this. Years ago I worked at a Police Department in California so when I say I have never witnessed this type of crime. I say it through experience with my perspective coming from being on both sides of the law. It's like the people committing the crime either know they will not be caught, they want to get caught or they know that if they get caught. The sentence will be a lenient one.

I do like Charlotte and I'd like to know if anyone has personally been a victim of crime while in Charlotte. What precautions do you take and most importantly. Do you feel safe?

Last edited by Waterlily; 03-16-2007 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: No links

Old 03-17-2007, 05:01 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggz View Post
I visited Charlotte. researched all the necessary things and was ready to set a date to get in my car and move.
I heard about some crime in Charlotte and felt since there is crime everywhere that it shouldn't be an issue. That is until I started going through the material at the above link. The types of crimes committed. Coupled with the feeling that the criminal justice system in Charlotte seems to not want criminals locked up has made me reconsider my position.

I live in Brooklyn and I was born and raised in Harlem. I've been in Los Angels and witnessed a few shootings there. In Harlem I remember when the drug trade was like going to a strip mall. Everything was out in the open. People got killed, drugs were sold. Oh well.

Yet the difference I see in the type of crime Charlotte has is that it is senseless crime. You can't sit down and figure out why it is being committed. For instance: 4 men drive through Charlotte robbing people at Gun Point. They shoot a guy in the buttocks and take his cell phone ! Why? It does not make sense. Yet a guy robbing a bank makes sense. That is until the robber goes into a bank ( in Charlotte ) with a note saying " You have 18 seconds to give me $600.00 or I will be killed." Have you ever heard of someone robbing a bank asking for no more or no less than $600.00 ? It just does not compute.

This coupled with one 26 year old male who has been arrested 45 times! Yes in my opinion crime in Charlotte is out of control. People are doing home invasions and stealing X-Boxes ! WTF ! Then we have the murders. People jumping in your car at the gas station and forcing you to drive to a secluded area where you will be raped or robbed ! Someone knocking on your door constantly until you open it and then they stick a gun in your face.

This is wild. NEVER in my life have I witnessed anything like this. Years ago I worked at a Police Department in California so when I say I have never witnessed this type of crime. I say it through experience with my perspective coming from being on both sides of the law. It's like the people committing the crime either know they will not be caught, they want to get caught or they know that if they get caught. The sentence will be a lenient one.

I do like Charlotte and I'd like to know if anyone has personally been a victim of crime while in Charlotte. What precautions do you take and most importantly. Do you feel safe?

You live in Brooklyn, grew up in Harlem, have lived in LA, and you think Charlotte has a crime problem????? You've admittedly never lived here, only visited, and you're qualified to state that "crime in Charlotte is out of control"? I read through your list of crimes and nothing jumped out to me as being "wild". Just your average stupid, thug criminal acts. Unfortunately, the same type of stuff that happens in cities all over the country. Stealing X-boxes, carjacking, armed robbery, stupid bank robbers, - none of this stuff ever happens where you're from?

"Wild" crime to me is punching a 101 year old lady in the head 3 times and robbing her. Or killing a pizza place employee and two volunteer cops because you were kicked out of the place.

Sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself out of a move....

Like all places, Charlotte has good and bad areas. Find out which is which, be smart, and your chances of being a victim will decrease greatly. No city has crime solved.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:48 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
I agree with BKQC. At least the bank robber got $600; what did the guy get that ko'ed the old lady...$38.00. I think in towns like Charlotte crime is more highly publicized. A drive by shooting probably wouldn't make the evening news in some cities.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:21 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,857 times
I've wondered about crime in Charlotte, too. When I look at Money Mag/CCN Best Places to Live 2006, Charlotte by comparison is worrisome.

For example, the 'Best Places' average for Personal Crime Risk is 45. 100 is national average, lower is better.

What is Charlotte? 214.

Property Crime Risk is 74 for Best Places average (again, 100 is nat'l average).
Charlotte? 209.

Personal crime incidents per 100,00: 228 is Best Places average, Charlotte is 1,077.

And Property Crime incidents are twice the Best Places average: Charlotte is 6,667, Best Places average is 3,105.

Even with all the caveats and disclaimers about the criteria for these stats, Charlotte is not looking good.

Don't even get me started on Air Quality Index and school performance!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL3712000.html

Old 03-17-2007, 06:53 AM

189 posts, read 580,394 times
I am moving to Charlotte shortly and I was surprised about the high crime rate published. This was a major concern for me. I have visited the area for a total of 10 weeks since last July and have never once felt unsafe, come across any situation, etc that would lead me to believe I would be unsafe.

I am sure there are problem areas which drive these numbers up.

PS: I am more worried about school performance even though I do not have kids yet. That is the scary statisitic especially coming from CT.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:09 AM

14 posts, read 70,875 times
Default It can be true

I have lived in Charlotte for 2 years and I Have been the victim
of random crime 3 times personally and about 16 time in my business. We had only lived here a short while and I was
in a parking lot on Woodlawn road. When I came out of a business
my car had been broken into and they got into the trunk. Stole my
laptop, printer, and alot of other personal stuff. The police would not even
come to the scene and file a report. Needless to say I was furious.
I am in the restaurant business. In two years here at our locations,
we have had about 16 robberies. Keep in mind that some of our locations
are in nicer areas of town. Everything from strong armed robberies
to breakins at night and in a couple of instances taking the whole safe.
my wife had her purse taken at Northlake mall. We are moving because
we never feel safe. We are out of here and let the thugs run wild.
the Police rarely catch anybody.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 AM

189 posts, read 580,394 times
Sounds like you have had some bad luck. I have been to Northlake many times and it seems like a nice mall. I mainly stay north of the city though (exit 25 and up).

I would do the same though if I had 16 problems with no resolutions in such a short time frame. Be safe and good luck when you move.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 AM

227 posts, read 293,096 times
You think this town has more "senseless crime" than the New York boroughs? Or anywhere else?

thats one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. I was going to post a list of links to crazy crap thats gone down in NYC, but, why bother.

Oh, i have been the victim of a crime too. Our home was burglarized while my wife was asleep and i was out of town. Yeah, it was bad, but i dont see it as any different than elsewhere. The only thing i do have an issue with is that these guys are seeming to find their way back out on the street after multiple offenses. Now weather or not thats a local problem, im not sure, but i doubt it.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:26 AM

149 posts, read 644,528 times
I was always told charlotte was safe. I was also told that concord was very safe. I have not lived there so Im not sure wether thats true or not

Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
You think this town has more "senseless crime" than the New York boroughs? Or anywhere else?
Sorry, what town are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte