Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 AM

218 posts, read 253,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
On a second thought, Charlotte ePro, don't PM me. This argument is a no win situation. You have your viewpoints and I have mine. I appreciate a spirited debate. But, neither one of us will win this argument.

The underlying problem is Poverty. Our tax dollars have done nothing to reduce the need for many people in this country. We can talk about numbers and greedy politicians until the sky turns purple. But the reality is we are not just talking about numbers. We are talking about people.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. New job has been very time consuming.

I agree that our viewpoints are different. I feel that the view you hold is of a "perfect world" that does not exist. You make it seem like all people need is a chance, and they will do right. That is not the case. Again, I feel many of these people should never gotten a loan in the first place. DPA programs help them sidestep the parameters that are put in place to prevent from getting one! I feel I have always had success illustrating my point with pictures. The following are from a foreclosure. I feel this is a great example of "people who never should have never gotten the loan".

Notice they left behind their digital cable and roadrunner modem. They had a digital converter in almost every room. This cost them at least $120 a month.

Now this is the kind of mentality I am talking about. I am not basing this because they are "low income", but because of behavior and reasoning like this... which happens to be predominantly displayed by those in the "lower income" bracket.

2 months of digital and cable and broadband internet would have gotten their child a quality mattress. Yet they didn't realize that. They thought having all the movie channels and being able to surf the web fast was more important.

It was more important that they look "wealthy" than it was to provide their child with a comfortable place to sleep. I have seen this over and over and over again! People with this mindset can't make the right decision when it comes to their own child, is it a shocker they didn't make the right decisions in regards to the home they purchased? This selfish and narcissistic mentality is what the Beazer agents preyed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28ZComeback View Post
The Observer article exposes the alleged illegal business practices of a few overzealous salespeople. Certainly, inflating income figures is not consistent with Beazer company policy, and to the extent Beazer employees broke the law intentionally, they should be prosecuted. But what of the individuals who executed those falsified applications? Should they not face similar federal charges, or do we look the other way, because after all, they were persuaded and misled by free pizza.

Interesting, of course is the attention paid to Beazer homes in particular. Not Pulte, Eastland nor any other builder specialzing in starter homes in the Charlotte area--just Beazer.

It is no coincidence that the Beazer Homes expose article was published only a few months after the Coffee Cup debacle. Could it be that the one-sided articles were nothing more than political payback for Beazer, who, only months ago, resisted the Observer's calls to designate the Cup a historic landmark?

It is clear that Beazer's business practices, in some very specific instances, were questionable, but these purchasers were not "sold a nightmare" but simply purchased more house than they could afford, and did practically nothing to modify their income and spending to meet their contractual obligations.
What are you kidding me? I don't doubt these other builders had starter neighborhoods, but they did not have anywhere near the level of fraud and foreclosure that Beazer had. None of these builders had houses falling apart like Beazer did. Here is thread of pictures I posted. They are taken from two homes that were beside each other!

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...charlotte.html

The Coffee Cup had nothing to do with this, and the fact that you try to infer that Beazer was the "shot caller" on that decision is preposterous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Beazer is in trouble again the Barrington development in Charlotte. There is no other developer IN THE COUNTRY that has the high foreclosure rate on their own loans that Beazer does. That is a fact, so they are doing something wrong. Barrington had about 140 homes with about 40 foreclosures on starter homes. Beazer also aggresively targets people live in rental properties, such as apartments, as I have learned from experience.

"The proposed rule targets builders and others that rely on government-backed loans to sell homes to marginal customers. It would bar home sellers from giving borrowers the money for a down payment. Critics say the gifts are a sham because sellers routinely raise the price of the home to cover the cost of the down payment.

About 750,000 people, including about 15,000 in the Charlotte area, have bought homes since 2000 through the combination of a government loan and a down payment gift from the seller. Federal studies show those buyers were up to twice as likely to lose their homes to foreclosure.

Regulators are cracking down on the lending industry after years of lax oversight, which allowed many families to buy homes they couldn't afford. Foreclosures in the Charlotte area are at record levels, and some experts believe more than 2 million families nationwide could lose their homes by the end of next year."

Eastwood homes attempted to use the same tactics on us, but we told them to P*** off. Eastwood's foreclosure rate is 5%.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. New job has been very time consuming.

I agree that our viewpoints are different. I feel that the view you hold is of a "perfect world" that does not exist. You make it seem like all people need is a chance, and they will do right. That is not the case. Again, I feel many of these people should never gotten a loan in the first place. DPA programs help them sidestep the parameters that are put in place to prevent from getting one! I feel I have always had success illustrating my point with pictures. The following are from a foreclosure. I feel this is a great example of "people who never should have never gotten the loan".

Notice they left behind their digital cable and roadrunner modem. They had a digital converter in almost every room. This cost them at least $120 a month.

Now this is the kind of mentality I am talking about. I am not basing this because they are "low income", but because of behavior and reasoning like this... which happens to be predominantly displayed by those in the "lower income" bracket.

2 months of digital and cable and broadband internet would have gotten their child a quality mattress. Yet they didn't realize that. They thought having all the movie channels and being able to surf the web fast was more important.

It was more important that they look "wealthy" than it was to provide their child with a comfortable place to sleep. I have seen this over and over and over again! People with this mindset can't make the right decision when it comes to their own child, is it a shocker they didn't make the right decisions in regards to the home they purchased? This selfish and narcissistic mentality is what the Beazer agents preyed on.

What are you kidding me? I don't doubt these other builders had starter neighborhoods, but they did not have anywhere near the level of fraud and foreclosure that Beazer had. None of these builders had houses falling apart like Beazer did. Here is thread of pictures I posted. They are taken from two homes that were beside each other!

The Coffee Cup had nothing to do with this, and the fact that you try to infer that Beazer was the "shot caller" on that decision is preposterous!

I think I looked at that home...was it in SC? It was in preforeclosure when I looked.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I think I looked at that home...was it in SC? It was in preforeclosure when I looked.
no, this one was in Mount Holly NC. I've got pictures of hundreds of foreclosures. The condition they are left in is all very similar. The things they leave behind, similar areas of neglect, etc.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 PM

55 posts, read 159,150 times
Gotta ask...what are the brown dots on the rugs?...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:

That's sad, I always feel bad for the kids. I don't even have any movie channels.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM

83 posts, read 399,211 times
Quote:

This happens ALL TOO OFTEN. So sad.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 AM

12 posts, read 38,104 times
I am a new poster, but thought I'd interject my situation first hand. My husband and I purchased a Beazer home in 2000. When we initially started our search, we were looking in the $100,000 range (believe it or not, you COULD find homes for that in Union back then). We stumbled upon our Beazer neighborhood, and the sales rep told us we could qualify for $130,000 easily. We were so excited!

We were young, very inexperienced, and naive. We thought that we would never be approved for something we couldn't afford. We were one of the ones who only put down a whopping 1%. Was this smart? No. But in fairness to Beazer, they DID disclose to us that the rate would increase by 1% each year for the first three years, and we would need to refinance if we'd like to keep the payments lower. We refinanced, and have been in the house now for 7 years.

Those first few years, we struggled to make ends meet, had no savings, and were blessed that we were not among the unfortunates who were forced into foreclosure. Since we have now been in the house seven years, we do have more equity, and are more financially stable. Several years ago, my neighborhood saw a rash of foreclosures. Now, I think it seems things are on the up-and-up. I hope so- I'm trying to sell my house.

Believe, me, we WON'T be making that mistake again. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Now, we won't even LOOK in a neighborhood that seems to have "Easy-In" terms or qualifications. It hurts everyone.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 38,104 times
Sandra Sells in Charlotte- I am currently selling my home, and we've looked in KB neighborhoods on our own- independent of our current realtor. It all seemed too good to be true... and we were burned last time. We were wondering about all that square footage for such a price- quality issues, and even the foreclosure issues.

Interesting that you will not show a KB home sale. Could you please pm me, and explain your reasons specifically? I'm very curious. We love the floorplan, and even like the neighborhood so far.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaeh View Post
We stumbled upon our Beazer neighborhood, and the sales rep told us we could qualify for $130,000 easily. We were so excited! We were young, very inexperienced, and naive. We thought that we would never be approved for something we couldn't afford.
Approved for something you couldn't afford got you excited?? Who knew better what you could afford? You or the Beazer Sale agent? That's the kind of mentality I am talking about.

Quote:
We were one of the ones who only put down a whopping 1%. Was this smart? No. But in fairness to Beazer, they DID disclose to us that the rate would increase by 1% each year for the first three years, and we would need to refinance if we'd like to keep the payments lower.
In fairness to Beazer?? I wouldn't even call that disclosure. It wouldn't have mattered what they told you, because you were excited about getting into a home you couldn't afford!

Quote:
Those first few years, we struggled to make ends meet, had no savings, and were blessed that we were not among the unfortunates who were forced into foreclosure. Since we have now been in the house seven years, we do have more equity, and are more financially stable. Several years ago, my neighborhood saw a rash of foreclosures. Now, I think it seems things are on the up-and-up. I hope so- I'm trying to sell my house.
Yes... you were blessed. God personally picked you and said to hell with those "unfortunates". Forced?? No one was forced. Some people were set-up for it... people like the example above were in on the scam. It was just an opportunity to see how much "free rent" they could get before having to find a new place.

Quote:
Believe, me, we WON'T be making that mistake again. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Now, we won't even LOOK in a neighborhood that seems to have "Easy-In" terms or qualifications. It hurts everyone.
There is definitely something to be said of learning from experience. I think you need to give yourself a little more credit. You weren't blessed. You worked hard and didn't bail at the first sign of hardship. That's good character, not "divine intervention".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte