Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM

198 posts, read 641,795 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else experiencing hundreds and hundreds of ladybugs crawling all over (and into) your house? Last weekend the invasion began ... at any given point I can find about 20 of them in my family room alone. It's particularly bad when the sun's out.

I know they must be coming in through the window or door frames, but for the life of me I can't find any gaps. How can I stop the madness?! How long will this last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 12:21 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
I don't have any advice but here is someone in the Triangle with the same problem.

Ladybug infestation! OMG!

Just be thankful they're not poisonous....and in your car. *Right barndog?*

Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing hundreds and hundreds of ladybugs crawling all over (and into) your house? Last weekend the invasion began ... at any given point I can find about 20 of them in my family room alone. It's particularly bad when the sun's out.

I know they must be coming in through the window or door frames, but for the life of me I can't find any gaps. How can I stop the madness?! How long will this last?
If it isn't the Ladybugs, it's the Yellowjackets buzzing around your head. The first solid freeze will put an end to your misery. I can't figure it out either - how the Ladybugs get in! My screens are fine, yet I constantly find a few on the "wrong" side. I still have a giant spider on my bay window too (outside thank God!). I'll take the Ladybugs over spiders though!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default They are good luck

hopefully that makes you feel better. Ha!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM

149 posts, read 581,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If it isn't the Ladybugs, it's the Yellowjackets buzzing around your head. The first solid freeze will put an end to your misery. I can't figure it out either - how the Ladybugs get in! My screens are fine, yet I constantly find a few on the "wrong" side. I still have a giant spider on my bay window too (outside thank God!). I'll take the Ladybugs over spiders though!

I know! How do they get in? We have a 2 year old house that is as sealed as sealed can be and I saw some near my bedroom window last night! Maybe they are the rare Houdini Ladybugs??? And yes, Ladybugs over spiders anyday!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Y'all do know that there is a bug that people MISTAKE for Ladybugs but is actually quite a pest????? It is an Asian bug and causes damage . . . and comes out in the Fall.

I suspect this is what you are dealing with - and not "real" Ladybugs.

Vacuum these up if they get in your house, then spray the vacuum bag w/ bug killer. Seal them up in plastic and dispose.

Spray around windows, doors, etc to keep them at bay.

The reason I know about these is b/c the first year we moved here, suddenly all these bugs showed up and thank goodness, a neighbor told me they were NOT harmless Lady Bugs.

Here is more info. You really need to get rid of these bugs - they are true pests.

Asian Lady Beetle Infestation Of Structures | University of Kentucky Entomology

Old 11-05-2008, 01:41 PM

300 posts, read 763,300 times
Angry Asian beetles everywhere, yuk, yuk

Yes, i live in Huntersville, and last fall the first year in the house. we got hundreds outside the house and some inside the house. they are the asian beetles they come in the fall to hide inside your house for the winter. they pick certain houses everyyear. unfortunely they came back again. they are more of a nuisance bug. they make a gooey yellow mess if you kill them against the wall. I trying to get my pest control to come and spray outside the house. it worked last time. but with the constant cold to warm weather this year they keep on coming back . yuk ,

I tried some pest stuff myself they have been slowly dying off inside my windows sills. how they get inside I can not figure it out. they get worst when the sun is out and warm. once the cold weather stays. they are gone.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 PM

314 posts, read 675,620 times
Great link Ani, I sent it to all my neighbors....we've been here a few years and have these infestations as well....but we all assumed they were lady bugs too!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM

223 posts, read 537,810 times
Lady Bugs and Box Elder Bugs overwinter on the sunny side of structures, many times getting behind shutters, siding, etc. Usually treating with a synthetic pyrethroid pesticide will knock their numbers down and get you through til next year. Otherwise, they'll stay til spring! Call or write me if you need help. Contact, Jeff Johnston Pest Control, Gastonia, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post

Old 11-05-2008, 02:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
Great link Ani, I sent it to all my neighbors....we've been here a few years and have these infestations as well....but we all assumed they were lady bugs too!
I sure hope it will help others avoid the heartache I had til I found out what I was dealing with!!!

And Dennise mentioned the yellow gooo = oh yes yes - NASTY. There is also a very strange smell I associate w/ the bugs . . . but don't know how to describe it. We did not realize it was coming from the bugs til later when they were finally gone.

We just sprayed the heck outta everything w/ spray that DH got from Lowe's - I think an Ortho product. We had them come back the next year, but sprayed for them immediately when we saw them . . . and since then, they have never returned. Haven't seen any at all. I was worried about killing them but was told at Lowe's that they are NOT good bugs and they KILL OFF the "real" (very helpful) Lady Bugs!!!! So . . . I do not feel bad about exterminating them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte