Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM

999 posts, read 4,655,429 times

Advertisements

So, I've been here 2 1/2 yrs....decided to finally get my NC license (well, the Librarian wouldn't let me check out any more books since I didn't have an NC license and it's been a year since I got my library card using my utility bill as proof of residence--mean about it too--loving that power she had ).
The website, I thought, was ambiguous regarding a social security card, I thought since I was not applying for an "original" license (transferring from another state--original to NC but not an original DL...) that I could get by without it.....lost it somewhere. I had a Birth cert, marriage license, my CT license, residency docs etc. No deal. I NEED a soc security card and it MUST match the name on my CT license identically....middle initial etc. (not middle name as only the initial is on the license).
So....guess what I need for my new Soc Sec card?

My CT license. That's it.

IF the name they have on file for me is not identical to that, I'll need to show my birth cert and marriage license. Which is everything I brought to the license bureau today.
SO, make sure you have your SS card and that it matches your old license identically or you'll be making another trip, like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:04 PM

539 posts, read 1,499,470 times
Does not sound right unless thing have changed. Both me and my wife got our NC DL's with our birth cert's and residency proof.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM

930 posts, read 2,163,012 times
When I got mine last year, they asked for everything except my firstborn. I thought for sure they were going to ask for him, too. I had to go twice, because I didn't have everything that they needed. I had a hard time proving that I lived here because everything is in my husband's name. I was ready to leave the state, they were so rude. But I got through it and the people at the tag office were much nicer.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM

OK, so I'm on the Social Security website trying to figure out where to go to submit my paperwork for a new card and see this question at the bottom of the page:

"I have lost my Social Security card. Must I replace it?
Answer

You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you may not need to get a replacement card. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. "

Like I thought.....I lost it 12 yrs ago and haven't needed it for anything since, until now.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
Does not sound right unless thing have changed. Both me and my wife got our NC DL's with our birth cert's and residency proof.
Whick license office did you go to, and when, may I ask?
Maybe I'll try a different office instead of the hassle of the SS office

Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM

539 posts, read 1,499,470 times
Monroe office on 74 across from Target. Went around 2 1/2 yrs ago.

Just checked the DMV site and it does say that a SS card is required by law. I stand corrected, and it must have changed since I changed mine. Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: