Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 PM

999 posts, read 4,654,539 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Thinking about Pizza here. With all the people around Charlotte from NY/NJ/CT who knows where to get good pizza like from home? I've been in NC (Fayetteville) since August, and CANNOT find decent pizza. My parents moved to SC 2 yrs ago and found one place by accident where if you say you want pizza like you were in NY they'll make it for you special, apparantly they opened (from NY) and made pizza like they did in NY and people in SC didn't like it so they changed to the, to me, doughy, less cooked variety so ubiquitous here in the Carolinas.
I'm DYING for good pizza and my husband moves to Charlotte in 3 weeks!
thanks!
Joan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,323,625 times
Default NY/NJ/CT Style Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Hi all,
Thinking about Pizza here. With all the people around Charlotte from NY/NJ/CT who knows where to get good pizza like from home? I've been in NC (Fayetteville) since August, and CANNOT find decent pizza. My parents moved to SC 2 yrs ago and found one place by accident where if you say you want pizza like you were in NY they'll make it for you special, apparantly they opened (from NY) and made pizza like they did in NY and people in SC didn't like it so they changed to the, to me, doughy, less cooked variety so ubiquitous here in the Carolinas.
I'm DYING for good pizza and my husband moves to Charlotte in 3 weeks!
thanks!
Joan
I see this question all the time on here. Can you describe for me what a NY/NJ/CT style pizza is like? By not doughy, do you mean a thinner, crisper crust?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM

It's not necessarily all that thin....I don't know how they do it, but it is thinner than most I've seen here, but it's much more well done, crispier/crunchier definitely NOT mushy. Maybe someone else out there can explain it better. I lived in CT almost all my life, save for a year in CA and college in NY (good pizza, of course in upstate NY, don't remember CA, I was too young). Pizza had always been one of my favorite foods and I can't say that I've had any I liked in a long time
Joan

Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks for mentioning that it's been here before I should have checked. I found another thread on the topic, I'll look there. If anyone has something new to post that'd be great too!
Joan

Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 22,960 times
Tony's Pizza is good New York Style Pizza. They are actually from NY. It's the best pizza I have had.

http://www.tonyspizza.org/

Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,171,628 times
Thumbs up Tony's Pizza

We used to go to Anzi's in Stonecrest, but since Tony's Pizza opened in Ballantyne that's where we go

Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 62,146 times
Default thanks

We are moving from LI to Marvin in July, and Pizza on Friday nights is a 20 year tradition for my wife and I. Tony's in Ballentyne will be our first Friday dinner.
BTW - we're building in Bridle Path and did a fair amount of research if I can assist in any way.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 PM

254 posts, read 1,058,361 times
Nothing comares to Pepe's in New Haven of course One of the places here dares to call one of their pizzas pepe's white clam..OMG it is so far off..I called them and talked to the chef and told him that he needed to book himself a ticket to CT because he obviously has never tasted a real white clam pizza from pepe's.

I don't know what it is..people move here from CT and NY and open up pizza places but I think along the way they forget how to make it..the pizza here is okay but doesn't compare

Old 03-23-2007, 08:52 PM

138 posts, read 413,321 times
I recently tried Marino's in Waxhaw - accross from Alma Village. They are from Philly, but their pizza is excellent - just like from manhattan. If its not too far from where you are, you may want to give it a try.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,803,767 times
Palones Pizza at the intersection of Ardrey Kell Rd & Tom Short Rd in Ballantyne. It's in "The Fountains" shopping center. Pizza is great, owners are from Long Island. Ask for a Sfogiatelle while you're in there!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte