Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 20,988 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot on here and there is some good info.

I am looking to come to Charlotte from Dayton Ohio. I am 27 years old. It is not 100% yet, but I am convinced I want to do this. Lived here most of my life. Want to look at new things. I have heard great things about Charlotte and I researched cities that Provide good culture, affordable, job growth, and entertainment. Charlotte seems to have all of these. My goal is to make this move by Spring of 08.

I am planning on leaving my job and going to Charlotte without a job becuase I feel it would be easier to interview once I am down there. Anyone have any luch with this approach?

I currently work in the insurance field as a manager. I currently make $90k and I expect to possibly take a pay cut which I am open to. How is the job situation there?

Also I am going to come down for a weekend here in the next couple of months to check it out. Any places I need to make sure I see?

Also, what areas should I look at? What areas should I ABSOLUTELY stay away from?

I appreciate ANY help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,771,312 times
Not sure on the insurance field but most people in general are having a tough time finding jobs from out of state.

I have had several clients that could not even get someone to call them back until they had a Charlotte area address on their resume.

HOWEVER, there are many who have moved here without something in place and still cannot find a position and are struggling.

Maybe try and put as many "feelers" out there that you can in advance. Who knows one might bite and pay for your trip here as I have seen in the past.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,241,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt22 View Post

I am planning on leaving my job and going to Charlotte without a job becuase I feel it would be easier to interview once I am down there. Anyone have any luch with this approach?
DO NOT DO THIS! Get a job, then move. A quick search of this forum will yield many sad stories from folks who are in various stages of financial distress because of this approach.

Other than that, you should love it here. I think half of Ohio is already here.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re

Even if I have $10K in my bank account? I know this is a risk, but like the poster posted above if youdont live there, they will not even consider you.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Even if I have $10K in my bank account? I know this is a risk, but like the poster posted above if youdont live there, they will not even consider you.
As a young, single person with that much of a nest egg, you may be the only kind of person I'd recommend try this So yeah, in your situation, come on down! Just be prepared, it may take a while to find your spot.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Thanks

I mean, I will wait tables (i did it in college) to maintain my nest egg or keep from taking it all the way down. I work at a place that give me a license to sell insurance to about 48 states. NC being one of them, I know I can sell Insurance or join a small local firm till I find something better.

For me:
Positives
-Have 10K in myaccount
-Have a degree with management and selling experience
-Young
-Have a North Carolina insurance license which makes me available immediately for local agencies.

Do you agree this is a good situation to make this move?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,771,312 times
The more info you provide the better it sounds. All we can tell you is what we have seen and experienced first hand.

It seems like you are a little more motivated and open to other options like waiting tables if need be so I say go for it.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:17 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,241,644 times
Quote:
It depends on your lifestyle and debt load. Create a budget and figure out how long you can survive. Plan for at least 6 months for finding a job.

Also, there is no shortage of young, talented, college educated talent in Charlotte. No offense, but you probably won't "stand out."

There have been people on this board who have had trouble finding that "I'll take anything job." I don't think you understand how overcrowded this area has become.

You've got a nice little nest egg. Protect it by getting a job before you move.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 PM

382 posts, read 1,888,839 times
Coming from another Dayton native (also 27), I just wanted to say that no matter if Charlotte is the right town or not ... please do yourself justice and move out of Dayton. I go back to visit and I still think "what would it be like to live back here". I think I'd be so bored. You have to move somewhere and LIVE! hahaha ... you'll understand later.

The job market is tough here b/c a lot of people are relocating. Plus there have been some layoffs here in banking and the mortgage industry. So there's a lot of competition. If you have a good savings and are ok with being jobless for a little while, or not too good to work a low pay job just to pay the bills, then I say go for it. Definitely rent 1st. Are you single? Try to live in the city close to uptown.

Also, there are lots of Ohio people here. And the Ohio school's have alumni chapters here that do happy hours and things. If you put yourself out there, then its really not hard to make new friends.

Good luck with your decision! But either way ... leave Dayton

Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Thanks Pink Pocket. ?

Where abouts in Dayton are you from? I have a friend that lives in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte