Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 14,207 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking on this forum for about two weeks now researching on Charlotte locals' thoughts and opinions to other posters' thread re relocating and you guys have been a tremendous help. I was hoping I could get more insight on which areas are good/safe communities and within reasonable distance to my office that I would be relocating to in the heart of Charlotte. We've been researching the Matthews, Mint Hill, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel, Indian Trail, Harrisburg, Huntersville and Cornelius areas, basically everywhere east of the airport. My current commute from MD to DC is about an hour each way, so any commute less than that would be a positive change for me. Based on the areas I've indicated previously, are their any commutes that are an hour or more from the interested area to uptown Charlotte? We also want to be close to an organic grocery store, and from what I was able to research, it appears that the two big organic/natural grocery stores in the Charlotte area is Earthfare and Trader Joe's. From the areas I'm researching, which location would be a reasonable distance from either of these two grocery stores? If there are other organic/natural grocery stores in the Charlotte metro area, I would love to know. My husband and I are true suburban people. We like having a house on a decent size yard but not be too far away from civilization, i.e. grocery stores, shops, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
You have mentioned many great communities, but I was puzzled by your statement - "anything east of the airport." I just wondered why you had eliminated South Charlotte?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,325,362 times
Willing to have up to an hour commute I would say your options are wide open!

In 15 years, my commute has gone from about 7 minutes to 15-20 and I complain about that

Welcome to the area and good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,459,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You have mentioned many great communities, but I was puzzled by your statement - "anything east of the airport." I just wondered why you had eliminated South Charlotte?
I'm curious as well, why east of the airport? Also, what is your housing budget?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM

I really have no discriminations with regards to South Charlotte but based on my research from this forum, many people have talked about the areas I've listed. Few mention south. I also read that traffic on 485 between Providence and I77 is horrific so I was really hoping to avoid that traffic altogether. Therefore, I really don't know if Waxhaw would be ideal for me.

I don't really want an hour commute, but like I said, anything less than an hour would be a huge relief to me.

My husband and I will be renting the first year in Charlotte to get a feel of the area before we purchase. So, our housing budget would be anything $2200 or less. Schools aren't a big concern for the time being since we don't have kids, but we plan on starting a family in the near future. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
The reason people may not be mentioning S. Charlotte is b/c most of the houses for sale would not be new construction. The highest per capita income is in S. Charlotte, and it has long been known as one of the safest, most convenient areas in the city. However, these are older homes, not new developments. I prefer mature landscaping, 1/2 or so acre lots and amenities w/in 2 miles (as well as airport access under 30 mins) We purposely moved to S. CLT b/c the commute to the heart of the city is almost always less than 30 minutes, even w/ heavy traffic.

You will be eliminating what many of us consider to be the most desirable neighborhoods in the city if you eliminate S. Charlotte. I thought I ought to mention this to you cause I just had a feeling you might have a misperception about this area of Charlotte. Check out Area 5 when you are on realtor sites, such as Allen Tate, Helen Adams, etc.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Sorry forgot to mention that we would want a newer home. Actually, we want a newer home with the mature landscaping. Does this exist? If so where?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopylover View Post
I really have no discriminations with regards to South Charlotte but based on my research from this forum, many people have talked about the areas I've listed. Few mention south. I also read that traffic on 485 between Providence and I77 is horrific so I was really hoping to avoid that traffic altogether. Therefore, I really don't know if Waxhaw would be ideal for me.

I don't really want an hour commute, but like I said, anything less than an hour would be a huge relief to me.

My husband and I will be renting the first year in Charlotte to get a feel of the area before we purchase. So, our housing budget would be anything $2200 or less. Schools aren't a big concern for the time being since we don't have kids, but we plan on starting a family in the near future. Thanks again for all your help!
Can you give us a better idea of your job location? Is it in uptown or some other part of Charlotte? This will help us make better suggestions for you.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopylover View Post
Sorry forgot to mention that we would want a newer home. Actually, we want a newer home with the mature landscaping. Does this exist? If so where?
You're not likely to find a new home with mature landscaping - so how old of a home are you willing to go with to get that mature landscaping? We have some truly beautiful established neighborhoods here with awesome mature landscaping.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:44 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,474 times
want to mention that some of the older neighborhoods in south charlotte do have newer homes on infill lots.
if you have the bucks that is where i would look, i my opinion s charlotte is the only place to live, you have both trader joe's and earthfare ,[ i would not really call trader joes an organic food store].
there really is a wide variety of prices in that area and the commute to uptown is short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte