Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:23 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All I can say is, visit it yourself when you get here
Will do! DH is in Charlotte now, but our Ballantyne-area realtor pulled a right face when he asked about Carowinds. Go figure. She lives in South Charlotte for twenty years and doesn't think Carowinds is worth getting five miles near.

Gorgeous weather here in England, too. Stunning! And no flying bugs anywhere to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 02:34 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why would it have to be as nice as say, Dubai, to be great for kids?? It really is great for kids just the way it is
Yes, point made with regard to PigPen. He looks happy enough in filth.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:14 PM

245 posts, read 1,019,610 times
Well, my kids LOVE Carowinds. We get Season Passes and if it were up to the kids they'd live there. They ask all winter long when is Carowinds going to open. We go there at least 2 times a week, especially in the summer. The weekends are crowded there, but during the week it is great. It is comparable to Kings Dominion and Kings Island, they are all owned by the same company therefore they all have the same stuff.

But if you dont' have kids and are older, you wouldn't enjoy Carowinds. As far as Uptown goes, we hardly ever go there, there isn't anything to do. Discovery Place is ok, but you can only visit it so many times.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,233 times
Its funny how some of you are so threatened of the few of us that took the rose colored glasses off and decided to speak the truth about the Charlotte area. First my lively hood does not require me to spin everything so that it shines. I analyze the data and report the truth just as in my posts here. I also have a very good education and can read and see the truth in what is many times misreported by the main stream media. As far as always being negative well I am not forcing you to read any of my posts. I am just trying to keep those people that many of you call sheep informed before they take a blind leap of faith on the rose colored info that many put out on this board. If you take the time to read my posts all the way through you will see there are a few rays of sunshine in them. By the way today the second largest sub-prime lender (New Century Financial) declared bankruptcy. The mortgage problems have now moved beyond sub-prime and into Alt- A striking M&T bank. Oh I almost forgot the Epicenter, a few shops, hotel, bowling alley, wine bar, sports bar, movie theaters, and more office space. Please this is nothing new and will not cause the downtown to change. Just how many suits do you think bowl...pffttt. The way I look at it is you can polish a turd all you want but it still stinks.
New Century Financial
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070402/new_century_bankruptcy.html?.v=13 (broken link)
M&T banks – mortgage spreads up the credit ladder
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070402/mortgage_lenders_spread.html?.v=1 (broken link)
Epicenter
http://www.greatercharlottebiz.com/article.asp?id=651

Old 04-02-2007, 06:53 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,356 times
I am one of those people that looks at things with a very realistic outlook. Yes Charlotte has done an about face and revamped itself since the late 90's but the progress is far from done. I am an optimist person. A city to truly be considered a "world class city" should have many ammenities that cater to a wide range of socio-econimic levels. I love it when the city core area has different areas that are vastly different from one another. Like an art gallery section, a flower shop district, an ethnic neighborhood, a posh area, etc. Hopefully Charlotte can move towards that direction in the years to come. If they plan on opening department stores again in uptown they should open a "Flagship" location with precious items that are not easily found in the malls. Imagine a big toystore on Tryon a la FAO Schwarz. Hopefully the powers-that-be can encourage more diverse type of businesses to develop in the center city from what is available now.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Duke, just leave. Seriously.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:31 PM

474 posts, read 1,748,960 times
How come people with negative attitudes always claim to be "telling the truth", while everyone that displays a positive attitude is wrong and has "rose colored glasses on".

Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 PM

9 posts, read 44,825 times
I'm relatively new here... so I apologize if I come across rude with this post.

But Duke, I have to commend you.

Quote:
First my lively hood...
This may be the best laugh I've had here. I don't mean to be rude. I'm not living in Charlotte yet, but if you want to get your point across about how you are not "stupid" as you call other people in Charlotte, you'll be best off if you avoid grammar and spelling mistakes that are riddled throughout the majority of your posts.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 AM

116 posts, read 422,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
To say that Charlotte’s Uptown is “overrated” is subjective. I’d ask, overrated compared to where? Charlotte’s downtown is, what it is. It will be much better however early next year when the Epicenter development opens up (it will have a bowling alley and a movie theater and retail shops). Charlotte’s downtown is a work in progress. It has come a long way in a short period of time, which I’m sure some of you find hard to believe. But trust me, only about 10 years ago, it was nothing like it is now. But it is growing fast and will get much better much soon.
To put it in some perspective, when I was at UNCC in the '80s, I went uptown one night with some friends. The reason we went there was to see what the prostitutes looked like. Back in those days, there was only one other reason to be there: to pick up a prostitute. Yeah, Uptown Charlotte still has a ways to go before it's an exciting and vibrant area for nightlife, but it's already come a long, long way.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 AM

5 posts, read 14,975 times
So is uptown charlotte not a good place for a 23 yr old young professional to move? I am relocating in June to charlotte and very unclear about what area would be best to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte