Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 34,051 times

Advertisements

After reading these posts I must ask the question........do any of the people who posted live in Hidden Valley? Just wondering because I do and what many people may not realize is that the Hidden Valley Kings were brought down in 2005. I grew up in Hidden Valley and came back when I inherited my childhood home in 2000. I will agree that Hidden Valley has some challanged areas within the neighborhood but for the most part, it's very quiet and clean. It is very close to Uptown Charlotte and will soon have a lightrail station across the street. As for gang activity, you can find that anywhere in larger cities. My family(who are white) moved into Hidden Valley in 1973, shortly after this, the neighborhood had a change take over and became predominently black families. Now, today in 2011, we have such a nice balance of all types of race. There are still homeowners who bought their homes there when it was first developed still living in Hidden Valley and still love this neighborhood. There are homes in the neighborhood that have been neglected and there are sometimes neighbors that you wish would move out but, for the most part, it's always being watched closely and monitored. People have given up on Hidden Valley and that's sad to me because most people who speak negatively of it don't even live there. Typical I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Do a crime map on Hidden Valley for the past three months & see if you still think its a quiet place to live. The neighborhood has had 35 violent crimes in the past 3 months along with 55 burglaries & 39 thefts from vehicles.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM

To answer your question Barkinowl, yes, I do still feel that Hidden Valley is a quiet and safe neighborhood to live in despite the statistics you are referring to. I would like to hear what your experience with the neighborhood has been that makes you feel the need to pass on such information. With any large city, you will find crime. Even in the best of Charlotte's neighborhoods. Hidden Valley is such a large neigborhood and when you look at the number of homes and number of people who live there.....that seems like a small percentage to me. I prefer the creditablility of responses from those who have actually lived in the neighborhood or currently live there now.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddalee710 View Post
To answer your question Barkinowl, yes, I do still feel that Hidden Valley is a quiet and safe neighborhood to live in despite the statistics you are referring to. I would like to hear what your experience with the neighborhood has been that makes you feel the need to pass on such information.
Well that's a no brainer I would think. You say you live in a safe neighborhood. The reports of crimes in your neighborhood say otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddalee710 View Post
With any large city, you will find crime. Even in the best of Charlotte's neighborhoods. Hidden Valley is such a large neigborhood and when you look at the number of homes and number of people who live there.....that seems like a small percentage to me. I prefer the creditablility of responses from those who have actually lived in the neighborhood or currently live there now.
Well your credibility is very low if you turn a blind eye to the seemingly endless stream of crime in your neighborhood. But let's crime map Hidden Valley using only crimes reported this year & see what we can discover.

7 Aggravated Assaults & Armed Robberies
4 Breaking & Entering Burglaries
3 All other thefts
3 Thefts from Motor Vehicles
5 Vandalism

I guess you're right... Things must be turning around!

I see there are also 13 registered sex offenders living in Hidden Valley.
But I'm sure they aren't a threat either.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,448 times
ummm excuse me. I work near this area and over the past few years we have had: Drug needles left in our parking lot from neighborhood people, 3 break ins in 3 years, one of our employees was held at gunpoint and assaulted while leaving our building after 5:00, a car stolen from our parking lot and several smashed car windows in broad daylight.

I have been asked for money while at the nearby Wendys on Sugar Creek almost everyday. I have seen prostitution, people smoking crack and violent crimes.....and all this is between the hours of 8-5 so I can imagine what its like at night here. See the link below. This whole area is soooo ghetto fabtastic it is amazing.

Charlotte neighborhood makes '25 Most Dangerous in U.S.' list - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC- This is right down the street from Hidden Valley.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:19 PM

I wish I could say that I had the energy and the time to continue debates on Hidden Valley neighborhood and whether it's safe or not safe. My intent when I participated was to leave words of encouragement and positive feedback about my experience with Hidden Valley neighborhood. Unless you have walked in my shoes, your opinions about a neighborhood that you have never lived in or would choose to live in, carries little importance to me. I'm sure that there are others who appreciate your opinion as well as others who appreciate mine. Regardless of any negative post being put out on the internet, I still say that Hidden Valley is where I call home and I'm proud to say I'm strong enough to weather the storms that may come with it.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:24 PM

If anyone read the article that was listed in an earlier post, it seems more positive than negative. Here's the actual article:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - It's a dubious distinction at best. Finding out the area of the Queen City you live in is ranked on the list of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in America.
That's the case for 10 mile stretch in North Charlotte between N. Tryon and Graham Streets between Seaboard Street and Atando Avenue. It includes Tryon Hills and Lockwood communities just to name a few.
The area is ranked 11th, according to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the toswhich analyzed data compiled by from the FBI to determine the lists.
Andrew Schiller, founder of the group, said the ranking refers to violent crime.
A lot of people think that if two places have 10 crimes, that the crime rate or crime risk is the same," said Schiller. "But if one of those has a hundred people living in it and one of those has 500 people living in it, the place with 500 people is five times more safe."
According to the list, those that live in that area for a year have a 1 in 9 chance of being a victim of a violent crime.
That came as a surprise to many in the area.
"It's gotten considerably better," Robert Russell who's only lived in the area for a couple of years. "There was some violence when I first moved in, but the neighborhood is starting to come together."
Another neighbor, Jacqueline Blair agrees. "Oh, wow," she said. "Somebody trying to put us on the map, right? Because that's ridiculous."
Still, according to the group's findings, people living there have a 1 in 9 chance of being a victim of violent crime. That's compared to a 1in 63 chance city-wide and a1 in 214 chance state-wide.
We contacted CMPD about the findings but they told us since their numbers didn't match up with the group's data, they couldn't comment on the ranking.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,680 times
You know I find one thing wrong with Southern people. They have a probelm with letter old news die. I am new to the Charlotte area and I just purchased a home in Hidden Valley. I am so glad I did not know the history because I would have lost out on a great deal and a great house. For the last 2 months that I have lived in Hidden Valley I have not seen any police or gankg activities. I have nice and quite neighbors and the community deserves a second chance. Instead of going on last years news why don't you look at the changes that has occurred in Hidden Valley.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_resident View Post
You know I find one thing wrong with Southern people. They have a probelm with letter old news die. I am new to the Charlotte area and I just purchased a home in Hidden Valley. I am so glad I did not know the history because I would have lost out on a great deal and a great house. For the last 2 months that I have lived in Hidden Valley I have not seen any police or gankg activities. I have nice and quite neighbors and the community deserves a second chance. Instead of going on last years news why don't you look at the changes that has occurred in Hidden Valley.
Thanks for sharing I am glad you are happy there. Alot of opinions are shared from people who do not live there or realize maybe Hidden Valley has evolved to be a better community.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,868 times
I do not live in Hidden Valley or really even near it, I do live on the Northeast side of the city. It seems like on this board if you do not live in the far South or Southeast parts of Charlotte or the 'burbs you live in the ghetto/non safe areas. I have owned a home in the same neighborhood for about 6 years now and I do not feel any less safe than I would in the South part of town. It really is a shame that if you live in a 28269,28262, or any near by area code it is seen as such an unsafe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte