Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 PM

248 posts, read 722,529 times

Advertisements

Is this place 24 hours? like most diners must be?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:09 PM

87 posts, read 274,647 times
I did make it to the Big View Diner today and have to say it was a lot better than this thread got me thinking it was going to be. The outside of the restaurant does not do the inside justice. The decor is very nice and dining area is very spacious and open feeling. The prices were not as high as I was expecting. In fact, I wouldn't even consider this place as being expensive.

They give you a yeast roll and piece of cornbread. This came with butter with some kind of green herb that I couldn't place. I had the Crab Cake sandwich and house salad. The salad was very fresh and the dressing was decent for 1000 island. The Crab Cake sandwich was better than most, but would not say it is as good as the one I'm used to getting at the Old Towne Fish Market in Alexandria, VA. My wife had the Chicken Parm and she thought it was one of the best she has tasted. She gets this all the time when we go out. We both had dessert (coconut milkshake and chocolate cake) which each had a unique homemade feel to them.

I know they are saying they will be carrying breakfast soon, but I really don't think they should serve it all day. It would take away from ambience of this place. Some additonal notes. The bar was large and had several quality beers on tap (Stella, Guiness, Bass, Blue Moon, Fat Tire, etc). Plasma TVs were laid out in such a way they were not evasive. Quality restaurants like this don't come around often. If they could drop the "diner" from the name I think they would be doing themselves a huge favor.

All and all I would give this place 9 out of 10.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
Thumbs down Big View is absolutely horrible.

I had walked up to Big View several times before 12pm after they opened, very grateful that they offered breakfast - there is no place in Ballantyne that serves a decent breakfast, if at all. To this day, there still is no breakfast served at Big View. They advertize it, it's on their signage.. no breakfast. I looked online and saw a post from another dissatisfied patron who apparently knows about some of the internal struggles at the Big View, and learned that they may never serve breakfast. I was told by a manager at Big View that they would start serving beakfast at a certain date (forgot the date he told me, but it has passed) - still, no breakfast. I asked a hostess when they'd start. She said they didn't now yet, that they had to get a new chef for it, blah blah... how hard is it to make me a F'in waffle or an egg? What's going on here? They are missing out on a lot of business, because I've seen many people walk up then turn around at the front door after being told that there is no breakfast. Why open a restaurant and advertize it, then not offer it? What is so hard about it? Then I heard that it may be cashflow problems, but with all the business they'd attract, I don't think that's the case.

Another complaint surrounds the actual service I had there on my first visit for lunch. Slow service, they were "out of tea" (who runs out of tea?) and I had to wait.. it finally comes, hardly any ice in the glass (no, the tea wasn't hot from just being made)... the silverware was dirty. It took forever to get a reuben sandwich and a salad. The reuben had stringy tissue in the meat, it was greasy (the bread was soaked). The ranch dressing was "improved upon" with some type of herb that made it horrible tasting. When leaving, two managers were in plain view of the restaurant yelling at two servers who were in dispute... the place is nuts.

The only plus? The nice looking interior and exterior. However, they should've put more money into the food and into the breakfast actually happening.

Oh, another thing - the website for Big View says "...and hardly any item over $12." Look at their menu. 20 something items is not what I'd call "hardly." This is supposedly a "diner" - it is not. I guess they used that term for marketing reasons. The price and the food isn't as good as at a diner. The atmosphere is nice, but isn't of a diner.

In short, I never plan on eating there again... I suspect by the time I finally decide to go back and try to get breakfast again, it'll be closed. I'm being serious.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:18 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,560,183 times
I feel so bad for this place. All I've ever heard about their two other restaurants, Ilios Noche and Nolan Kitchen, was how good they are.

I hope they get their issues straightened out, It's nice to see local businesses succeed.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:32 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,974,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elonforme View Post
how hard is it to make me a F'in waffle or an egg? What's going on here? They are missing out on a lot of business, because I've seen many people walk up then turn around at the front door after being told that there is no breakfast. Why open a restaurant and advertize it, then not offer it? What is so hard about it? Then I heard that it may be cashflow problems, but with all the business they'd attract, I don't think that's the case.
If they have to put up with a bunch of people that whine, moan, ***** & complain about everything they say & do, then I hope they never serve breakfast. If you want cheap then go to Waffle House.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,630,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
If they have to put up with a bunch of people that whine, moan, ***** & complain about everything they say & do, then I hope they never serve breakfast. If you want cheap then go to Waffle House.
I wasn't so much put off by the prices but it does irritate me when you go to a place expecting something only to find out they don't have it. My wife loves to eat breakfast any time of the day and was disappointed that they didn't have it. They should have updated the information on their website (they may have by now).

Overall, I liked it but it wasn't special enough for me to drive all the way there from Matthews.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elonforme View Post
Oh, another thing - the website for Big View says "...and hardly any item over $12." Look at their menu. 20 something items is not what I'd call "hardly."
I just looked at their website to see what you were referring to.
I checked the menu and sure enough 19 of the 25 dinner items are over $12. That's laughable to put that comment in......do they think people are stupid?

btw, I'm not passing judgement on whether or not the prices are fair, I'm just saying that it's a silly thing to draw the customers' attention to if it ain't true.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,713,202 times
Yeah, I looked at the menu too but it was all greek to me.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM

87 posts, read 274,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I just looked at their website to see what you were referring to.
I checked the menu and sure enough 19 of the 25 dinner items are over $12. That's laughable to put that comment in......do they think people are stupid?

btw, I'm not passing judgement on whether or not the prices are fair, I'm just saying that it's a silly thing to draw the customers' attention to if it ain't true.
I just checked their website too. The full quote is this "A classic diner menu with a full breakfast under $5. Menu items as low as $2.99. Almost nothing over $12." Easy to take out of context, but I think they were trying to say nothing much over $12 for breakfast. Only one breakfast item is 12.95.

Either way, I think it's a poor choice of wording and they should put somekind of disclaimer speaking to that they are not serving breakfast instead of leading everyone to believe they are.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 76,158 times
IMO, Food is average, service is slow and managers are all over the servers in front of clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte