Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,849 times

Advertisements

Today HSBC announced a restructuring of of its mortgage operations which will result in the closure of the Fort Mill, SC operations just out side the city of Charlotte, NC. The number of jobs cut was not mentioned.

Quote from attached article:
HSBC is the latest Charlotte-area lender to suffer in the subprime lending downturn. Ameritrust Mortgage Co. and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage have downsized operations recently, and EquiFirst Corp. was bought this week by London's Barclays Bank Plc at a significant discount from the originally announced purchase price. California-based New Century Financial Corp. also laid off less than 10 area employees as part of Monday's Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, the company said.

The article does not mention it but Fremont General Finance was hit a while back not sure of the numbers. Also, Bank of America and Wachovia had several layoffs recently. I guess Charlotte is not so different from other areas of the Country.

FORT MILL, S.C., OFFICE
HSBC shakeup
affects area jobs
Mortgage company dealing in subprime market shuts branches
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/123/story/74944.html (broken link)

Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,500 times
What part of BoA and Wachovia did the layoffs? Make sure your not making a generalization.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 PM

536 posts, read 1,694,342 times
What goes up must come down! It's all about cycles. The fact remains people still need a mortgage, they just hopefully are not handing them out as easily now! People (including myself) could not afford to sustain a life (lifestyle) up north with all the taxes and corrupt politicians. That is why I have made a conscience choice to get involved down here. I don't want the same thing to happen here that happened up north. I am thankful for a beautiful place like Charlotte to now call home, and all the people (even the DUKE's of the message board!), for keeping it real, and swatting the ROSE-COLORED GLASSES off sometimes. (Although, some lines should not be crossed!)

Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,916,351 times
Hey everyone:

Just as the poster said above: it's all about cycles. The whole nation is experiencing change, but SOME posters can't grasp that. Also not being grasped is that we are doing OK here despite the nationwide dips!

- From Forbes, today:
Quote:
"But one part of the country consistently manages to produce strong economic growth and still keep costs down. For the second straight year, the Southeast placed five metros in the Top 10 of our Best Places for Business and Careers."
This list includes in the Top Thirty: Raleigh #1, Durham #7, Charlotte, #21 IN THE NATION
New jobs:
- Dole to open new Gaston Co. plant and to hire 350 people.
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...80&newsLang=en

- Convergys Corp is bringing it's HR and corporate care business here, creating 400 jobs.

- SPX is bringing 35 jobs to Monroe with a facility expansion.

Sorry, 785 jobs was all that I could find announced this week.

Are they all banking jobs? High-tech? No. But jobs keep the economy rolling, nonetheless.

BTW, my friend works at B of A and her roomate is a recuiter. She just got orders for 55 placements today that she needs to fill at B of A.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,395,447 times
Yes I agree Keith very well said and I must add WACHOVIA IS hiring for their mortgage division....so I wouldnt make generalizations...I agree with Char agent as well....

Kmay Wachovia also, there are so many jobs it just isnt even funny...dh's friend is a recruiter for wachovia...

Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,028,377 times
Just a side note on mortgages.

I am approved for my mortgage with a the builders finanical co., they actually offered a reasonable deal or so I discovered today, I contacted several companies today, not one off them could beat the offering I already have.
They came close I am going for 30 Year fixed with 5% down, the total monthly payment ranged within $125 and my closing costs ranged approx $2500 in variations.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,413,011 times
Wachovia hiring for their mortgage division is a total laugh. They're going to lay off about 4,000 people and cut a billion dollars in salary between Winston Salem and Charlotte later this year as a part of their outsourcing to India program. A lot of the people that they're hiring now are for positions that will be going out west to their California office as a part of the Golden West merger. And they most likely won't be done with their outsourcing until sometime in 2008, so there's probably going to be even more after this round.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
And just to back up my previous post about Wachovia...

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350387461&path=!business&s =1037645507703 (broken link)

Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,500 times
I am hearing that its not working as well as first planned and maybe snubbed. This is from a pretty reliable source that I prefer not name on a public board.

It is there and is happening but I am learning while some work is being outsourced it is creating new postions within the ranks from previously overworked employees.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I am hearing that its not working as well as first planned and maybe snubbed. This is from a pretty reliable source that I prefer not name on a public board.

It is there and is happening but I am learning while some work is being outsourced it is creating new postions within the ranks from previously overworked employees.
I work for Wachovia and trust me...if it's creating new positions it's creating them out west and NOT here. As far as the Genpact outsouring thing goes they were in my building as recently as yesterday. The processing units below me are already showing signs of taking the exit as well. You may be in the know but I'm in the know as well. All the signs are there...4,000 jobs are GOING to go before the end of 2007. They're going to be paying those folks in India 6,000 dollars a year with no medical benefits. They're going to make it work. Once that outsourcing ball starts to roll....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte