Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: market, sell our house, construction contractor, it career, self-employed.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekids View Post
my dh is a contractor. Licensed in MA, we owned our own custom home building business. he has a BS in building construction and technology from Wentworth Institute in Boston. He has over 25 years in the business. He informed his boss last week he was relocating, house was on the market, his boss asked what it would take to keep him here. I'm not sure anything would, but we are waiting to see if he puts money where his mouth is, because that's about all that could keep us here. Maybe for another year or two.
I have an associates degree in Interior Design. well, we continue to look for employment while the house is on the market. We had four showings since thurs. when it went on market. Thanks for the info and positive feedback.
Your husband and my husband are in different areas. It's both construction but we move every 2-3 years to follow his work. I don't know if you are accustomed to that. Probably because the relocation is hard, they have a hard time finding people qualified to fill the positions, and that's why he is flown in for interviews and relocation costs are never an issue. Just a guess...

The interior designer in our neighborhood apparently can do very well. I don't know the whole story but the jobs that her husband got when they moved here do not provide insurance, or maybe he's self-employed like her. So last I knew, she was working at Dillards to obtain insurance for her family. But I can't imagine she's doing that well if she can't afford health insurance... So take it how you take it.

I also know a very good seamstress in the area that does the ID's drapes. She's complaining that she's not getting work because the ID is not concentrating on her business, and she's also picked up work at Dillards. So if you are ever interested in a seamstress, I know one and have seen her work. Maybe you do it all yourself? We're in Huntersville and I can probably get you two together, if both of you are interested...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 AM

72 posts, read 292,891 times
Default niknaxx

I agree with you on the relocation thing with your dh. we too have relocated to NJ to follow the work (and family here) but it just hasn't been what was presented to us. We have had quite a bit of activity on our house, but we have a small glitch thrown our way- my dh's boss has offered him considerable more money and bonuses to stay. so we are really considering his offer, mainly because we don't know what the salaries would be for us in NC, (the unknown is scary)I am not sure that I would get back into ID in NC. I would only work part time. we have eight year old twins, one of the reasons for considering relocating. we want to cut our housing costs so that I could be home with them more. right now I am working 9-5. so with all that said we may wait a few years and get ourselves in a better financial position to relocate. The twins will be going into middle school in 2 years (about 5 different elementary schools put together) so that would be the time for a transition for them. For now we are on the fence. Any one who has had a similar experience, we would love to hear from you and how you handled it.
Thanks in advance. oh and we are used to moving we built our own homes lived in them for two years and then moved and built another. (usually in the same town though)

Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,497 times
Red face Better financial position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekids View Post
I agree with you on the relocation thing with your dh. we too have relocated to NJ to follow the work (and family here) but it just hasn't been what was presented to us. We have had quite a bit of activity on our house, but we have a small glitch thrown our way- my dh's boss has offered him considerable more money and bonuses to stay. so we are really considering his offer, mainly because we don't know what the salaries would be for us in NC, (the unknown is scary)I am not sure that I would get back into ID in NC. I would only work part time. we have eight year old twins, one of the reasons for considering relocating. we want to cut our housing costs so that I could be home with them more. right now I am working 9-5. so with all that said we may wait a few years and get ourselves in a better financial position to relocate. The twins will be going into middle school in 2 years (about 5 different elementary schools put together) so that would be the time for a transition for them. For now we are on the fence. Any one who has had a similar experience, we would love to hear from you and how you handled it.
Thanks in advance. oh and we are used to moving we built our own homes lived in them for two years and then moved and built another. (usually in the same town though)
When we move, we move from state to state or if within the state, several hours away. I doubt we would ever move across town, just because we move so much that would drive me insane to make a move on our own! Also, have gotten spoiled with all the relo help and costs that we're accustomed to...

There are houses going up all over the place here. I'd be surprised that your husband wouldn't find a job, but then again, you never know. You could also build or buy houses, fix them up, and sell them here. Our market is still strong, at least for now. He also probably won't make what he does know, or what his boss is offering for him to stay. Remember, the longer you stay, the harder it is to leave, though... A better financial position is always a concern. Maybe you just answered your own questions? I don't envy your situation.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM

170 posts, read 566,239 times
Hi fivekids-
We were in a similar situation as you, wanting a more affordable lifestyle, me able to stay home with the kids, warmer climate, etc. We also have relatives in PA that we wanted to be closer to. We lived in Seattle, Wa for 15+ yrs, and knew it was time for a change. So we did it. We packed up, sold the house, and moved to NC (Mooresville)- without ever having been here! (Just A LOT of research on the area.) And no, my dh didn't have a job waiting. With the profit from the house being sold, we had a little time to find a house and job when we arrived. (He's also in construction). First we found the town we liked, (narrowed it down to 5 towns-school's were #1 priority), then the job (which he needed to buy the house.) It all fell into place, and we absolutely wouldn't change a thing. We love it here! I did want to say, with my boy's, (one in 5th and one in 8th grade), it was A LOT easier for the younger one to make the transition. It seems, at least in my case, the younger the better. Once they hit middle school, it gets tougher. I've heard that from other people and teachers as well. But those are my kids, I know all kids are different. Would I do it again? Absolutely. But the way housing is going up, I wouldn't wait too long. That was one reason we needed to do it now, to still be able to afford it. Go with your gut on this one, it's a hard decision, believe me, I know- I went back and forth every day. But something just told me this was right. I just knew it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:01 PM

72 posts, read 292,891 times
Default momof2boys

Thanks for the info. My kids are girl and boy twins. They would probably be ok relocating at the same time as they were going to go to middle school (2 years away). When they go to middle school here they will be going to a new school with about five other townships. So they will be meeting alot of new kids. My dh will find out tomorrow exactly (in writing) what his boss is planning to offer. we feel that if this is as substantial as he says I would be able to cut my hours and work only when the kids are in school. Because the housing market here is not so great we probably won't get what we hoped for on sale of house. since we have only been here for two years we won't have that much equity in the house, plus the fact that we did alot of work ($$$$)to it. So our thought is that if we take 2 more years to let the market get better and increase dh salary, we can create more equity in house. we also realize that the housing market will have gone up considerably in the next two years in NC. we will continue to visit because we do want to relocate eventually. whether it be in 2 years or 8. If we wait till the kids graduate then we can relocate without the major concern of schools. I really agree with having to go with our gut. and I guess we really won't know what that is until we hear dh's boss's offer tomorrow, because for us we will eventually be down there. it is just a matter of when and which scenario is best for us at this time. We probably wouldn't have enough $$$ from sale of house to go down without jobs right now. But if we waited 2 years or more we would feel more comfortable relocating without jobs. Thanks, we know whatever is meant to be will be what happens. I glad to hear you are very happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte