Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times

Advertisements

For a single AA female, as you described yourself, I do not know that Gastonia would be the ideal choice. Also, the public trasportaion there is not strong. I think it is probably more geared toward middle class white families, is that correct? You would likely find more social, church and even business contacts in Charlotte. That is my thought based on minimul experience in that area, but having worked in a small town outside of Gastonia called Dallas, NC. Others here may know more.

For schools, I do not know the public ones there. I have heard of Gaston Day and Gaston Christian...both are k-12 schools in Gastonia and have good reputations.

Finally, I agree with the many others in saying that I have never heard Gastonia being called the 'Murder Capitol'. I have just heard that it is quiet and a little behind the times...which can be good or bad depending upon what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,288 times
Ive never lived in Gastonia, but I visited the Eastside one time, and it was a dump.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
I am looking for a safe, quaint small town with a main street to stroll down and visit cafes, boutiques and clean. Good school system and newer homes in private communitiees with pool, tennis, etc. I want it to be near Charlotte where we can visit on weekends. Does this sound more like Cramerton or Belmont? Or perhaps someone can recommend a town.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Default Consider Davidson

If you are looking in the Gastonia area, you might be happier in Belmont. However, you really ought to consider Davidson, NC. It is north of the city and is a little 'college' town with Davidson College at its core. The people are a bit more liberal and open in their views than in Gastonia/Belmont. There are also more transplants there and more diversity. I would avoid, fully, Cramerton. Also North of the city are Huntersville and Cornelius, but they are not as quaint at Davidson and Belmont.

Hope this helps

Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
I am looking for a safe, quaint small town with a main street to stroll down and visit cafes, boutiques and clean. Good school system and newer homes in private communitiees with pool, tennis, etc. I want it to be near Charlotte where we can visit on weekends. Does this sound more like Cramerton or Belmont? Or perhaps someone can recommend a town.
Definetly Belmont. Cramerton is very small, only 3.6 square miles. I think the only newer homes are on/in Cramer Mountain. You may also want to check out Lowell and McAdenville.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
There was some recent news article about gastonia's crime statistics but I cannot quote them. I have been a resident out there for 8 years if there is something specific I can help you with please let me know. High school wise, the best one is Highland school of technology (public high school), Gaston Day, Gaston Christian and Carmerton Christan (private high school options).

Housing options, there are new homes being developed all over the city, Centex has a new Development, Willow Creek. KP Morgan has new homes near Crowder's Mountain, there are various rental homes and apartment complexes. There are average, 'hood, luxurey and normal rental's for sale homes. Everything is yours for the taking. McAdenville has some nice new homes going up also.

Please let me know if there is anything else. I think the average commute to Uptown on a given accident free, storm free day would be 20-30 minutes.

Good Luck with your decision. Please visit and research the area before you decide to move. Remember there are bad people and bad elements everywhere. Murder and crime happens everywhere. People murder other people, people hurt other people. Crime has no face and crime makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte