Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:17 PM

16 posts, read 31,597 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female, 25 years old, considering going to graduate school in Charlotte. I'm deciding between Charlotte and Charleston, WV. I'd like some input from young folks in Charlotte. What's the dating life like there for young chickies like me? How's the nightlife? Are people friendly--is it easy to make friends? How's the cost of living? I know this sounds like 20 questions, but I'm really torn about where to go! Oh, and if any grad students have any input, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 PM

This has been read 27 times and no response? What's up?? I know SOMEONE has something to say! :-)

Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Well, I suspect people are like me and hate to give you advice when we have no clue what you like to do, how easily you make friends, what your budget as a grad student will be, etc.

I guess my thoughts are - you go to the graduate school you prefer and the rest of it just falls in place. If you hate it wherever you decide to go - it's not like you will be there forever.

Also, if you are in grad school, you will be meeting people in your department and that is often how you start with friendships. You would most likely want to live some place close to campus, and that limits where you would get an apartment, unless you don't mind a commute. Plus, grad students are typically on a tight budget, so that means - will you need a roommate? And - how much can you afford? Until you get accepted into grad school and find out if you get a TA position and stipend - you are not really gonna know about your budget, right? Maybe you will need a part time job, and those are in short supply here right now.

So I suspect most folks are hesitant to try to help you w/ so many variables, including what you enjoy doing in your free time. Of course, in grad school, you are not gonna have much free time, so honestly - the best advice I can give you is to apply to the schools you are considering - and then once you are accepted - just row w/ the flow.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:20 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,460,742 times
Good post Ani

Movinonup13 - I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying that if (hypothetically) both schools and grad programs are equal, which city is better for socially? It doesn't seem like an equal comparison. Charleston, WV is small July 2007: 50,478, 31.6 square miles. Compare that to Charlotte July 2007: 671,588, 242.3 square miles. As you can see those stats are almost two years old and the city has grown since then.

Quote:
I'd like some input from young folks in Charlotte. I'm 30 but I've lived in Charlotte since I was 18.

What's the dating life like there for young chickies like me? Generally good but a lot depends on the individual person.

How's the nightlife? What do you like to do? There are restaurants, bars and night clubs if that's your thing. There is a new complex uptown called the EpiCentre and I've had a lot of fun there. Here is a link to the Charlotte tourism website. CHARLOTTE NIGHTLIFE & ENTERTAINMENT they have a video as well Dining and Nightlife

Are people friendly--is it easy to make friends? Yes, in my experience.

How's the cost of living? Compared to what? Where are you moving from?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the replies... sorry if I was vague! Right now I live in a city of around 300,000 people. I'm not happy here at all, it's a northern city and the vibe isn't friendly at all. I currently pay $645 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment that's not that great, if that gives you an idea of the cost of living where I'm at. People in my city tend to only stick with friends they made in high school or college--most of my college friends left, so I'm kinda alone here--hence the reason I asked about how easy it is to make friends. Also the dating scene is terrible here--guys have such a bad attitude and only want to date women who are blonde, blue eyed, and tan (no offense to anyone who fits that description, that's just not what I am). As far as what I like to do, I'm not a big partier or anything, but I do like to go out to clubs once in awhile. Basically I'm just looking for a place that would be safe, have a much more open vibe about it, have a reasonable cost of living, and afford me opportunities to meet others like myself. Hope that gives you a better idea of what I'm looking for! :-)

Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,326,982 times
We do the same as most folk in the South.
Wake up with the sun & the rooster's crow, then till the fields all day.

Nightlife is big on Friday & Saturday when we grill up roadkill, plenty of possum, raccoon, and occasionally a deer!
You'll LOVE it!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,418,813 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ml#post9319237

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
We do the same as most folk in the South.
Wake up with the sun & the rooster's crow, then till the fields all day.

Nightlife is big on Friday & Saturday when we grill up roadkill, plenty of possum, raccoon, and occasionally a deer!
You'll LOVE it!
...Well, since my hometown's in the South, I should be good! I'm already used to THAT routine! :-)

Hey, BrianH1970, thanks for the link! That's awesome! :-)

Old 06-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,418,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinonup13 View Post
Hey, BrianH1970, thanks for the link! :-)

You'll be taking that statement back pretty quickly.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 PM

haha I just read it when you posted your reply! I needed a good laugh--takes some of the stress off making this decision! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte