Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 AM

299 posts, read 1,072,152 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone can tell me why it is that people use Pine Straw around their trees, in place of mulch. I guessed that soil here is rather basic, and the pine needles would be used to increase the acidity of the soil... but then I thought I remembered people telling me that people use a lot of azaleas in their yards. I would think that azaleas wouldn't be a commonly used plant if the soil is basic, since azaleas need acidic soil. Do I have something confused here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
soils here are acidic. azaleas love acid.

Pine straw is used 'cause "that's the way it's always been done". I like it because it's neutral colored and looks very natural in any landscape.

Probably just a stupid pet peeve, but I CAN'T STAND seeing wood mulch unless it's really nice.

And RED MULCH?!?! Are you kidding me? that stuff is hideous. One of my neighbors installed some last weekend and I want to vomit every time I drive by. It looks terrible. I mean seriously, who thinks that crap looks good? It draws attention to the mulch rather than the plants and landscaping, and it looks as fake as it is.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM

327 posts, read 1,198,352 times
I think that pine straw is also better used in this area because of the abundance of termites. Our realtor told us that in NC, its not IF you get termites, its WHEN. It makes sense that termites would be more attracted to mulch than pine straw.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:18 PM

616 posts, read 1,752,334 times
It's an inexpensive, good looking (IMO) mulch. It makes me feel like a North Carolinian! Spread a couple of bales worth this morning. Ahhhh.

BTW, have read several county extension and university horticulture sites and they say it's an old wives tale that pine needles raise soil's acidity level.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,558,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
soils here are acidic. azaleas love acid.

Pine straw is used 'cause "that's the way it's always been done". I like it because it's neutral colored and looks very natural in any landscape.

Probably just a stupid pet peeve, but I CAN'T STAND seeing wood mulch unless it's really nice.

And RED MULCH?!?! Are you kidding me? that stuff is hideous. One of my neighbors installed some last weekend and I want to vomit every time I drive by. It looks terrible. I mean seriously, who thinks that crap looks good? It draws attention to the mulch rather than the plants and landscaping, and it looks as fake as it is.
LOL! I hate red mulch too. I love black mulch though

Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 AM

Ah... I guess I had it totally backwards. I thought the soil here would be basic. Whoops. Shows what I know.

I have never seen pine needles used in place of mulch until I came down here, but I suppose it makes sense in terms of termites.

Thanks for the info everyone

Old 06-19-2009, 05:41 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,216,343 times
I don't think the use of pine straw has anything to do with termites. Pine straw won't stop them from attacking your home if it is vulnerable to termites. I think it has more to do with availability. It's routinely sold by the bail in many subdivisions as a fund raising tool, and many landscaping companies will use it because unlike mulch, keeps a consistent look and more importantly has to be replaced each year.

I haven't used pine straw in at least a decade mainly because I don't like the look and prefer to get wood mulch from the recycling center. It looks far far better and will also last a lot longer. The wood mulch is also great for the beds where they are placed.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 AM

So... I looked it up on the internet. One website lists these as the benefits of Pine Straw over regular wood-bark mulch:

-Longevity – it doesn't float and wash away and breaks down more slowly, so it doesn't need to be reapplied as frequently as other mulches
-Lightweight – it is easier to handle and lighter per cubic foot than other mulches: one large bale can cover as much area as 30 cubic feet of most mulches!
-Cost – the cost per square foot is competitive with other mulches
-Soil health – it breathes better, doesn't compact, and allows for better water infiltration
-Simple – it is easy to apply: just unroll the bales and scatter by hand
-Pest free – it doesn't attract termites
-Plant health – it adds organic material and nutrients to soil and reduces weeds
-Visually appealing - the uniform color and fine texture of pine straw brings out the color, contrast, and texture of your landscape
-Erosion control – you can use it where grass won't grow to hold soil
-Great for bird nests - used frequently for bird nests and bird houses

And it also points out that it is a naturally sustainable choice for mulch that does not require cutting down any trees.

I havent' quite gotten used to the look, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try. It does kind of have a nice, woodsy, natural look to it

Old 06-19-2009, 06:16 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,455,862 times
The Pine Tree is the state tree. Pine straw production is an industry here. NC Pine Needle Producers Association (NCPNPA)

Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,116 times
when i first begin can i use the cardboard technet to kill the gras that i want to lay my pine straw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte