Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times

Advertisements

Have you all seen this? Brows rise with move from CMS firing to hiring | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/788225.html - broken link)

I guess it's good news for the people looking for teaching jobs, but seems kind of shady to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
It is odd, alright. They say they weeded out the less effective teachers . . . so I guess we will see. But what has me baffled is . . . budget cuts required lay offs . . . so now suddenly we have money? Eh?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:33 AM

240 posts, read 732,019 times
Angry Cms

I posted a message about this last week when their website suddenly had 190 vacancies, well yesterday, it went to 240 vacancies.

They did not weed out just the bad teachers.

I know of some teachers from Ardrey Kell that were "weeded out" and they were excellent teachers. Steve Blanton, is one example. A terrific World History teacher who was not ready to retire yet but they got rid of him.
Another teacher had just come to AK from Michigan and was a Debate/English teacher. She was also very good but they got rid of her.

This whole thing is very shady.

I honestly believe that they got rid of some of the older teachers because they were being paid more.

Why does CMS treat us like we are all idiots??? They have never told the truth about anything.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Question a teacher writes

I just read the Observer article that the OP had.

The comment i found below is what i have been thinking all along.
A lot of those vacancies are at some of the South Charlotte area schools so all that talk about low poverty schools is rather ridiculous as i would hardly call Prov High, Ardrey Kell, Elon Park, Comm House, JM Robinson, etc poverty schools !!!! They all have openings though.

I scrolled down that page to read various people's comments and came across this one:

endofeducation wrote on 06/20/2009 11:41:54 AM:
Dear parents, do not believe cms. The media is not telling all of the details. I was displaced from my school and placed in another, I have all at or above standard reviews and I taught an eoc course with great scores and now I am forced to go to another school while my job is being posted for someone else to apply for and I am fired if I do not take the other job. This is all a ploy to get good teachers out of good schools and into bad ones. This is exactly like a dictatorship. No one gets a decision, they just force us to go and not say anything about it.

For those Ignorant people: Listen Carefully: Do not trust the media reports: Gorman distorts what is going on in them.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
I think this is happening throughout the state. I think the NC Dept. of Instruction is quite shady.
It seems like decisions were made from a business standpoint. Is that best for teachers? No. Is that best for students/families? I don't know, probably not. Is is best the administration (local and state)? Probably.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Well, altho I would be mad as hell if I got switched to a crappy school from one where I loved teaching . . . the cold hard facts are . . . no one wants to teach at those crappy schools.

I know I wouldn't!!!

So how do you get good teachers into lousy schools so as to pull the scores up?

I mean - you can't do anything about the demographics of the kids who are in a particular school. What are you gonna do?

I believe I would be more upfront about the re-assignments (if I were Gorman) but then . . . maybe he had tried that and teachers refused to accept reassignments.

I am just playing devil's advocate here! Just trying to look at both sides . . . As I said, I would be mad as hell if I were a teacher and found myself in this mess.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Unhappy agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, altho I would be mad as hell if I got switched to a crappy school from one where I loved teaching . . . the cold hard facts are . . . no one wants to teach at those crappy schools.

I know I wouldn't!!!

So how do you get good teachers into lousy schools so as to pull the scores up?

I mean - you can't do anything about the demographics of the kids who are in a particular school. What are you gonna do?

I believe I would be more upfront about the re-assignments (if I were Gorman) but then . . . maybe he had tried that and teachers refused to accept reassignments.

I am just playing devil's advocate here! Just trying to look at both sides . . . As I said, I would be mad as hell if I were a teacher and found myself in this mess.

I totally agree with that.
Everyone wants to work at the best schools where you have students willing to learn, etc. But, someone has to teach at the other schools where there are a lot of students not interested in being educated. To me, this all stems from parenting and some of these kids are being raised by kids. Parents should be held accountable for a lot of the problems arising at school and teachers should not have to waste value teaching time dealing with kids who don't want to be there. I really do blame a lot of these problems on the parents, the one's who just don't care but expect everyone else to fix the problem (if they even acknowledge there is one!)

Old 06-21-2009, 02:18 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,874 times
Wow, I haven't really looked for school jobs in the last month or so.. but this is entirely a surprise.

What looks shady to me is that all of the jobs close this week. If they were truly trying to recruit the best standard of teachers, less than a week is NOT enough time to get the word out that they are hiring again (after months of no openings, who is really still checking every day?), allow people to apply, and hope to gather a wide variance of candidates.

In my experience, this is what hiring managers do when they have people slated to fill the positions but must publicly post due to EOE and other requirements. Just my opinion...

Sketchy, sketchy, sketchy... hopefully, it will even out in the long run. Sorry to those who lost their positions... good luck to those applying!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Wow, I haven't really looked for school jobs in the last month or so.. but this is entirely a surprise.

What looks shady to me is that all of the jobs close this week. If they were truly trying to recruit the best standard of teachers, less than a week is NOT enough time to get the word out that they are hiring again (after months of no openings, who is really still checking every day?), allow people to apply, and hope to gather a wide variance of candidates.

In my experience, this is what hiring managers do when they have people slated to fill the positions but must publicly post due to EOE and other requirements. Just my opinion...

Sketchy, sketchy, sketchy... hopefully, it will even out in the long run. Sorry to those who lost their positions... good luck to those applying!
I am looking at all of it w/ some cynicism, also, IP.

However, I do know that CMS has been inundated w/ applications from highly qualified teachers . . . so it isn't hard for me to imagine that there are stacks of applications f/ teachers who are ready to sign contracts - and who have track records of excellence (or are from other school systems w/ track records of excellence).

In any case, I have never seen anything quite like this take place in a school system!!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:06 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,972 times
Part of this is because they are forced, by law to post the jobs, even if they know who they will place into the position - or in some cases will eventually eliminate the job. For instance, some of those AP's that were let go, may be filling some of these teaching positions. Or teachers that were let go from one school may eventually fill vacancies from other schools.

It's really no different than what happens on a daily basis in the business world, except for the fact that because it is a state ran business - yes school is a business, everything is made public.

In the end, CMS will come out stronger because they are using this as a chance to trim some fat and get rid of some unnecessary positions and unwanted people.

It's easy to call shots from our point of view, but I have yet to meet anyone that would want to trade seats with Gorman. There's a reason superintendents make such a large salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte