Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,606 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have tomatoes which are not ripening? A coupe of months ago, I bought a healthy Early Girl tomato plant and was thrilled when in May it started putting out many, many little green baby tomatoes. BUT the problem is these babies don't want to grow up and turn red. They've been stagnating for almost a month now. I have between 30 and 40 1" to 2" diameter green baby tomatoes. I've never had this happen before. Ani, am I remembering correctly that last summer you had tomatoes that wouldn't ripen? Anyone with any suggestions please respond - I'm dreaming of my tomato sandwiches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
Whats the condition of your plants? Are they dark green and do they look healthy?

When did you plant them? Usually most tomatoes are around 60-65 days so if you planted in mid-april you should be starting to get some red ones soon..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Hey, Barb! I am so sorry to hear about your tomatoes. Last year, I had some heirlooms that were very very slow to set but once they got going, we had steady tomatoes all summer.

Sometimes an imbalance w/ nitrogen can cause the plant itself to be vigorous but small fruit. (I believe that would be when there is too much nitrogen). Also, depending on where you have them - maybe the heat has been too much on them, especially if they are in a spot where the soil stays warm at nite, too. Sometimes too much heat can stunt the fruit - or at least, that is what I have been told, LOL! Might be an old wives' tale!!!!

I don't think I have every experienced quite your problem, Barb. I am gonna ask around and if any of my family or friends have some tips, I will come back and post.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,606 times
I planted them in mid-April and they look very healthy. They just don't seem to have made any progress for a couple of weeks.

BTW, I enoyed the comments about the upside-down tomatoes. I, too, have such a plant, and am having good luck with it setting fruit. I expect ripe tomatoes in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Do you have the plants in full sun? That's our problem here...not enough sun to get big ripe tomatoes. They do eventually ripen but they are all small and take a long time. I didn't even plant anything this year.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:23 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,216,343 times
If they are getting 8+ hours of sun each day and the plants look healthy, then give it time. We had a very cool spring which has slowed down the tomatoes a bit. Prime tomato season in Charlotte usually doesn't start until July.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
they need more sun.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM

176 posts, read 566,335 times
At least you have tomatoes. I only have little yellow flowers at this point!
sandy

Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM

457 posts, read 1,178,367 times
You got me worried, so I looked it up & some places say not enough heat, some say too much heat, sun, water, ... You should call the NC Cooperative Extension in your county & ask them. That's what they're there for. Has anyone used a handheld vacuum for sucking up Japanese Beetles or other pests? I'm thinking about it, but the thought of emptying it is beyond repulsive & was wondering if there's any tricks to that?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
Has anyone used a handheld vacuum for sucking up Japanese Beetles or other pests? I'm thinking about it, but the thought of emptying it is beyond repulsive & was wondering if there's any tricks to that?
How about a shop vac on the wet setting, put some soapy water in the canister and then suck up the beetles. Wait a few minutes and they should be dead. I'd scoop them out and put them in the mulch around your plants. The smell of dead beetles is supposed to ward off the others. I have no idea if that will work, lol. Chickens also like to eat the beetles...get some chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte