Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 AM

75 posts, read 218,170 times

Advertisements

Yes the light rail is safe, but most people that live in safe areas still have to drive to the stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 AM

68 posts, read 239,680 times
Well, forget the 10 minutes thing, I just still want to be close to the city. Not way out. Just what are the best areas, near the city, for 180000? I know that the average home price is under that, so there must be something.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM

The first place that comes to mind is Blakeney, mostly because I'm very familiar with it. It's new, it's clean and it's safe. It contains a great mix of people, including many retirees. It has a great location as it is centerered around more than a hundred stores and restaurants, as well as medical facilities. 180k will get you a townhouse, which is very popular for the area (and rather nice I might add). Houses start at about 225K and run to well over a million plus.

It's located in South Charlotte and is a 25 minute drive to Uptown and a 10 minute drive to the light rail station.

Here's a C-D link that talks about the area: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...nter-love.html

One of the shopping areas (within walking distance for many of us): Welcome to Blakeney

Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotterelocator View Post
it's above.
Sorry about that

Old 06-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Also, how big is Charlotte? I guess I didn't really see how big it was. I've been to big cities, no small towner here, but doesn't it have a light rail? I have a car, but is the light rail safe to use?
Charlotte has a city limit circumference of 280 miles. Our population is well over 700k and our metro pop is about 1.7 million.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:12 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
I am relocating to Charlotte from Little Rock, AR. I need to know what are the reasonably priced safe areas of Charlotte? In Little Rock of course, we have crime, you just have to know where to stay away from. So what places should I look at and what places should I stay away from? Suburbs are fine, just as long as they are not more than 10 minutes out.
We used to laugh when we saw a sign on I-77 that said "Charlotte 10 miles" and then the next sign said, "Charlotte City Limits." It is at least ten miles from the outskirts of the city limits to downtown. It can sometimes take over an hour to drive from one side of town to the other. You need to list where you will be working and go over to the next county in that direction to find a home. Stay away from the airport side if at all possible and I have been told by a police gang expert to avoid the area right above Pineville. We were talking while my husband was in the doctors office. Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail, Lake Norman, Waxhaw, and most of Union County are considered good areas. Others can tell you about the other side of town. I just don't know because I don't usually go there.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:24 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm retired. So the work thing really isn't a problem for me. I just want to know what areas are best.
I am trying to understand why the ten minutes out. If I were retired and wanting to live within a reasonable distance to Charlotte for maybe medical care reasons, I think living near one of the outlying areas such as Monroe, Rock Hill, etc. might be a better choice. We need to know what we are trying to help you find. If you are looking for a home for $180,000 in a safe area in Charlotte, my guess is that it won't happen.

http://www.co.union.nc.us/
Union County is a great place to retire to and has Cane Creek Park, Monroe Aquatics Center, Farmer's market and many other retirement friendly features and it is 3 hours from Myrtle Beach, 3 hours to the mountains and has a wonderful rescue squad. But why on earth would you want to leave Arkansas. Just move out of Little Rock to the Greers Ferry Lake area. It is beautiful there. http://www.greersferrylake.org/

Last edited by NCN; 06-27-2009 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 03:23 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
Are you wanting a country setting. or are you working on the premise that houses will be cheaper outside of the "city"?

If you're looking for a country setting, Harrisburg, Mint Hill, Indian Trail and Monroe are smaller towns around Charlotte that can give you that and keep you with in 10 minutes of stuff like grocery stores, Walmart, etc.

If you're working from the premise that prices will be lower outside of "city" areas, if you are willing to take a smaller, older home, you can find what you're looking for (in your price range) in safe areas. I live in Mint Hill and there are several older developments and I've seen homes for sale all over. You're withing 2 miles of 4 grocery stores, Walgreens, RiteAid, and several local shops, and 5 miles or less from Matthews, which has Home Depot, Target, etc. So there are places that meet that criteria, but what else are you looking for? There are a lot of "safe" areas of Charlotte, what's important to have closest to you?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
In one direction, 10 min from the city limits puts you in Ft. Mill, SC. A very nice area and you might be able to find a subdivision in that price range, not sure though, as most I saw started more at/above $200K. But that was last year and prices have come down, so you might have some luck. Of course, that might be 45 min from the center of the city. I'm not clear on what you mean by "10 min out."

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-27-2009 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
You can gain a lot of information online that will help you decide where to locate. Try: charlottelive.com. Then you can go to charmeck.org. Here you'll find lots of information in the "Neighborhoods" section. Look at the Quality of Life Study. You'll see a series of color coded maps that are very helpful. You can go to the "Police" section and look up specific addresses to get crime stats and demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte