Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 50,866 times

Advertisements

I am searching the new home. I prefer to live in the south of Charlotte because of the education reason ( I have a 2-year old boy). There are only a few new communities available in Matthews,Pineville, and Indian trail under my target price. I can afford 250,000, or at most 270,000 for a 2700+ sf 2-story single family home. There is a community 'Weddington meadows' and several communities in Indian trail that fit my need. But I also have some concerns as the following. Please give me some suggestions. Appreciate in advance!

Weddington meadows (by Centex): great schools, adjacent to a nice park, but no community amenities since only 20s homes in that community. There are a lot other comunities and homes around this place.

New communities in Indian trail (my target): 3 new by M/I (Callonwood) , LENNAR(Fairehaven), and Dr. Horton (Brandon Oak). For these three, the comunity amenities are rich but the schools are worse than what I can get in Weddington. I am not sure about the safety in this area. I read some threads saying the security problem in BO. And also it seems these 3 builders are behind Centex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM

630 posts, read 1,879,310 times
IMO Centex, Lennar and MI are comparable with Dr Horton being 1 (or more) steps down.
Look at the homes in the building stage and there you can tell the difference in quality, not in the trim work and nonsense after the fact.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM

55 posts, read 173,194 times
This is exactly why you should strongly consider using a buyer's agent. They can help you separate rumor from fact. Many realtors will have seen inspection reports done from new and resales of homes from various builders. If you need realtor recommendations, send me a pm. There are some that I highly recommend. They are very professional and know Weddington / south charlotte well. Everything will work out.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,634,707 times
Is there any reason you are set on a new home? In Matthews, you should be able to find an established one that meets your price range/criteria. After a long time of looking, I decided on buying one in an established neighborhood because it was already built and I could physically see problems (most of them anyway).

Just my two cents.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 PM

367 posts, read 1,029,963 times
Why so set on South Charlotte? Cabarrus county has good schools and in allot of cases less crowded. Hickory Ridge was in the top 10 High schools in the state if you go by test scores. Union County is nice don't get me wrong, but allot of lemmings followed that path and now the schools are getting pretty crowded.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Is there any reason you are set on a new home? In Matthews, you should be able to find an established one that meets your price range/criteria. After a long time of looking, I decided on buying one in an established neighborhood because it was already built and I could physically see problems (most of them anyway).

Just my two cents.
I just want my first home to be a new one.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Why so set on South Charlotte? Cabarrus county has good schools and in allot of cases less crowded. Hickory Ridge was in the top 10 High schools in the state if you go by test scores. Union County is nice don't get me wrong, but allot of lemmings followed that path and now the schools are getting pretty crowded.
I am working somewhere near south park mall. I don't want to live too far away from there.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:22 PM

367 posts, read 1,029,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbai View Post
I am working somewhere near south park mall. I don't want to live too far away from there.
Gotcha! Can't blame ya there We have an MI home and we have been pretty happy. Every neighborhood will have someone that is not happy though. Every builder, even the ones with good reputations, build a lemon now and then. The good ones will make things right, but even then they will push back to try to get the owner to backdown. Get an agent and keep on top of the building process. They got tired of my face when they were building our home.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbai View Post
I just want my first home to be a new one.
Everyone has a preference. Mine is for an older house that has already settled (foundation) if it's going to, has been through at least 1 summer and winter to be sure the roof doesn't leak, and the heat/a-c has "burned in" so you know there are no issues there. Also, you can save literally ten thousand on landscaping as the builder never does enough, and fencing. A mature landscape is so much more appealing than a raw new subdivision. I just want to make sure you've thought it through!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,172,820 times
Evne though Weddington Meadows does not have community amenities it is very, very close to the Siskey Y, IMO a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte