Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,914,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
We have been backwards and forwards to the area over the past 4 years and have seen many changes in just that short time, although some like the top part of the 485 seemed to take forever! Now it is the widening of Brawley and the new I77 junction for Langtree and the 3 rd lane for exit 33.

I have never been to the Indian restaurant, but we are great lovers of the food-in fact I made curry last night. I have been asking my husband to find out where the authentic Indian restaurants are in Charlotte.

Cookhouse I love and we are well known in there-great value food IMO.

My husband doesn't eat meat at all,and I don't eat much here, but fortunately we all love fish and seafood.

I live in Newcastle u Tyne , but was born in Durham city. My husband is an Essex boy!
My nephew got his Phd at Durham. He lives down near Luton now. I have many friends in Newcastle. My oldest friend there lives in Newbiggin Estates near the airport. He just let me use his codo in Fuengirola, Spain last month. I have spent many nights drinking and hanging out at the Haymarket.I normally go there once a year. I spent many hours driving up and down the A1/M1 going between London and N/C. Small world. Anyway, Sangam's Indian restaurant across from the cookhouse is really good. There are some good Indian restaurants in the area and a couple of Indian vegetarian ones as well. My wife is a vegetarian as well.

Last edited by vindaloo; 07-16-2009 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,909,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, bankruptcy is bankruptcy, I guess . . . and foreclosure is foreclosure. I guess it doesn't matter where you are if you are going down the tubes.

I was fortunate to have just been to Hawaii for my first visit and was surprised to see all the homeless in Honolulu. I noticed many sleeping on park benches and some had little "sleeping quarters" made with tarps and blankets. It saddened us, however, we tried to make light of it and decided if one had to be homeless, Hawaii was the ideal place. Certainly better than facing bitter winters in NYC.

SO MY POINT IS, if you're going down the tubes, I believe it does matter where you are!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,639,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
I was fortunate to have just been to Hawaii for my first visit and was surprised to see all the homeless in Honolulu. I noticed many sleeping on park benches and some had little "sleeping quarters" made with tarps and blankets. It saddened us, however, we tried to make light of it and decided if one had to be homeless, Hawaii was the ideal place. Certainly better than facing bitter winters in NYC.

SO MY POINT IS, if you're going down the tubes, I believe it does matter where you are!
Hee Hee. And a point well taken!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,557,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. And a point well taken!
yep-it has been raining here constantly for last 24hrs and temp is 59.I have the heat on and my fleece.My husband says has forgotten what cold feels like.
NowNC or North east England?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:01 AM

206 posts, read 515,512 times
Default Ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I would rather be unemployed here than employed in NJ. Strange, but true. Even if I had a job in NJ I would be worried about losing it and facing imminent financial doom with the high cost of living, mainly property taxes.
Sadly, it is a sentiment I have heard from some in my circle lately. At the heart of the matter, while is seems foolish to relocate to an area with high unemployment without a job, folks living in very expensive areas are looking at how far their savings and unemployment checks will take them. If you are paying high property taxes, etc., you will burn through your savings in no time. In some places in the NE, unemployment checks will not even cover utilities.
This may be a big part of why you see so many seemingly intelligent people make the move without a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte