Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
LNS LNS started this thread

29 posts, read 77,252 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I know this has probably all been touched on, but I am hoping to get all of my answers in one thread. Thanks in advance for the time and consideration it takes to respond.

We are a mid-late 30s couple with 4 and 8 yo boys. We will be moving from a suburb of Philadelphia (the cost of living is crushing us).We also have 2 goofy dogs and I work with dog rescue, so a dog friendly area would be nice. We are progressives/liberals and would like to live in an area where there are like minded people. We would love an "artsy" feel but safety, schools, and affordability are most important to us too. A YMCA and/or a swim club wowuld be a big plus too. We would love to rent while we get on our feet but would want to rent in an area that we could then afford to buy so that we wouldn't have to make our 8 yo change schools twice. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
What you are describing fits Raleigh/Chapel Hill better than Charlotte. Not to be unwelcoming . . . especially to dog lovers!!! But just wondering why you chose Charlotte . . . ?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Why do you say that? What part of my description makes you think we would be better suited for Raleigh?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,000 times
Default We're in the Ballantyne area (S. Charlotte)

I am not sure about the artsy part of what you are looking for, but we are very happy in our neighborhood full of kids, a YMCA maybe 10 min away, and also a dog park nearby. I have seen people bringing their leashed dogs to a few outdoor shopping centers. Several subdivisions have their own pools/clubhouses too.

I only visited Rayleigh many years ago so I don't know much about the comparison b/w that and Charlotte.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,321,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNS View Post
Why do you say that? What part of my description makes you think we would be better suited for Raleigh?
I live is SE CLT and we have a very active neighborhood association.
[Pool, clubhouse, neighborhood activities, etc]
Most are very conservative...

The one couple on our street of 25 that is very 'progressive/liberal' told me just last week they are thinking of moving back North as they feel very out of place.

The Triangle area with the unis and such is more liberal/progressive (I lived there for 9 years).

I am pretty sure that is what Ani meant.

Last edited by mullman; 07-15-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 08:04 PM

852 posts, read 2,469,413 times
there are many liberal progressives in Charlotte and I think if you moved to SE Charlotte you would find a good place to live and when you are ready to buy you could stay within the school district. The Arboretum has many apartments and townhouses to rent and they feed into a great elementary school Elizabeth Lane. There are many neighbourhoods around there too with different price ranges from the top end to a more affordable range. The Harris Y is about 8 miles from there and there is a dog park about a mile from there. Although some people (ahem) like to think the conservatives are taking over LOL they are not it just seems that way!!!. I have many friends from all backgrounds with differing political opinions and never have any of them felt out of place in Charlotte. It will seem stepford like at first as people here all dress the same and drive the same cars etc but underneath the facade there are real people with different opinions and that is ok. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Yes, Mullman is right - Chapel Hill, especially, is what I think of as being more progressive and/or liberal. Pretty conservative where I live in South Charlotte.

As far as great neighborhoods, good place to raise a family, I think Charlotte has that. Also, the Y is very strong here and some very nice facilities. As ChicagoMich said . . . many of the newer subdivisions have their own community pool/clubhouse, etc.

I like both Charlotte and Raleigh. The regions do have a different vibe - in my opinion. But I like both cities.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks.... it's not like we need to live with a bunch of hippies, we certainly aren't hippies. But, we are liberal in our thoughs and political views. One thing i am sure of, is that no matter what peoples' politics, people down south are friendlier and that is important to us. As long as people aren't judging us, we will be fine.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,145,105 times
You might like Greensboro..

Old 07-16-2009, 01:58 AM

32 posts, read 77,085 times
Make sure you read the thread on finding jobs here.. unemployment is around 12% and not getting any better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte