Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to North Carolina: great schools, swimming pool, traffic, golf course communities, real estate.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM

35 posts, read 114,287 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family is looking to move to the Charlotte area. What we need are 1. Great schools 2. family friendly neighborhood with pool (swim team) 3. house price under 400k 4. my husbands office will be in N. Charlotte.

I appreciate any input!
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:39 PM

237 posts, read 855,970 times
relocate2boys,

You might want to try looking in the Mooresville area. The school districts are good and you could find a great house for 400K probably even in the Pinnacle Shores area. 400K would probably be on the low end there though. you would probably be looking at a 45-60 minute commute to North Charlotte with peak rush hour traffic. depending on where in North Charlotte the office would be. Charlotte extends up to exit 18 on I-77. Neighborhoods are family friendly up there. There are alot of people from the Northeast up there. Im not sure where you are from. I am not certain about a swim team though. Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 PM

47 posts, read 262,535 times
We recently purchased a house in Fort Mill, SC (approx 20-25 miles south of Charlotte). It is a very family friendly community, i.e. safe to walk at night, low traffic, low crime. Most new subdivisions have a pool and you can definitely find (new) houses under 400k. The commute to Charlotte is not as bad as people around here make it out to be (at least compared to New England which I'm used to).

You can also look in the South Park area of Charlotte, though you will have a hard time finding a pool. The houses are older and more expensive, but its nice to live in the City. I would recommend living south of Charlotte if you can help it. Real estate does not move as easily north of the city for when decide to sell.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM

142 posts, read 608,511 times
Verdict Ridge in Denver (west side of lake norman) is about 35 min North of Charlotte on HWY 16. This is a beautiful golf course community with a community pool and swim team. Most houses are custom and above $400,000, but a Ryan homes model might be in that range. It will cost you about $90-$100 per square foot for a Ryan home in Verdict Ridge ($400,00= 4000 finished sq ft).They are also building patio homes in Verdict Ridge starting in the $250,000 area (I think).

Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Thank You for all the information! It helps to hear from people who actually live in the Charlotte area. I am from Texas and have never been to NC. I have looked at Mooresville, dh likes it there, but we think it may be too much $$ for us and are concerned about the commute. I was set on Fort Mill and York schools till my husband returned from a buisness trip to Charlotte and said that his friends there told him to avoid York because of the school enrollment freezes. Has this affected you?
I think we will definitely check out Verdict Ridge. Alot of people have been reccomending Denver. Do you know much about the schools?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 AM

3 posts, read 5,234 times
Best of luck with your move. You may want to check out Concord. I live in Moss Creek Village, which has four pools. Also, both the elementary school and the middle school are right in the developement. My wife and I are very happy with the schools. You can check it out at Welcome to MossCreek.
Many of my neighbors work in downtown Charlotte, so the commute is not bad. We are located just about evenly between I77 and I85, so it is very easy to get around. There are also a number of other developements in the same area within a few miles. Yet it is still rural. But that is a matter of perspective I guess. Coming from Long Island,NY this is the country. But according to my friends who are from here, they say it is too built up! All I know is that when you pass by cows and horses on the farms along the side of the road, to me, that means you are still in the country.
MODERATOR CUT

Last edited by Jammie; 07-18-2007 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising

Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocate2boys View Post
Thank You for all the information! It helps to hear from people who actually live in the Charlotte area. I am from Texas and have never been to NC. I have looked at Mooresville, dh likes it there, but we think it may be too much $$ for us and are concerned about the commute. I was set on Fort Mill and York schools till my husband returned from a buisness trip to Charlotte and said that his friends there told him to avoid York because of the school enrollment freezes. Has this affected you?
I think we will definitely check out Verdict Ridge. Alot of people have been reccomending Denver. Do you know much about the schools?

There seems to be a pretty wide misunderstanding from folks that don't reside within York County...or to be even more specific...folks that don't have children that attend Fort Mill School District. Since I live in York County (Tega Cay, SC) and have children that attend the Fort Mill schools I will try an address the situation as best I can.

Yes, the schools are growing rapidly (not unlike any other areas that are in close proximity to Charlotte, NC). Here is where I think the confusion lies....in the Fort Mill School District they shy away from adding mobile units to the schools (or whatever clever name someone would like to call them). Rather then adding mobile units (which most over-crowded schools do) they build/add-on to existing schools or build new schools. Currently though..some of the growth in certain areas within Fort Mill have have seen even more growth than what was expected. So the situation is such that two of our elementary schools have closed enrollement to new students. Now, with that said those new students that live within those two elementary schools that have a closed enrollement have been rerouted to another one of our schools within the district (I might add that all of our schools within the district are all on the same playing field..meaning they are all excellent). In addition there are new elementary schools that are in the planning stages and are set to open for the school year of 2009.

The schools with an enrollment freeze are: Gold Hill Elementary and Orchard Park Elementary (new students will attend Riverview Elementary). Other elementary schools within the district: Fort Mill Elementary and Springfield Elementary.

Now in regard to our middle and high schools....a new middle school was opened this past school year...and a new high school is set to open this August. At that point...enrollment levels will be as low as they were apx. 10 years ago.

Best of luck with your search...and if you are still interested in the Fort Mill area...I highly recommend you post your questions on the SC side and speak directly to parents that have children within the Fort Mill schools!

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 07-18-2007 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-18-2007, 07:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
There seems to be a pretty wide misunderstanding from folks that don't reside within York County...or to be even more specific...folks that don't have children that attend Fort Mill School District. Since I live in York County (Tega Cay, SC) and have children that attend the Fort Mill schools I will try an address the situation as best I can.

Yes, the schools are growing rapidly (not unlike any other areas that are in close proximity to Charlotte, NC). Here is where I think the confusion lies....in the Fort Mill School District they shy away from adding mobile units to the schools (or whatever clever name someone would like to call them). Rather then adding mobile units (which most over-crowded schools do) they build/add-on to existing schools or build new schools. Currently though..some of the growth in certain areas within Fort Mill have have seen even more growth than what was expected. So the situation is such that two of our elementary schools have closed enrollement to new students. Now, with that said those new students that live within those two elementary schools that have a closed enrollement have been rerouted to another one of our schools within the district (I might add that all of our schools within the district are all on the same playing field..meaning they are all excellent). In addtion there are new elementary schools that are in the planning stages and are set to open for the school year of 2009.

The schools with an enrollment freeze are: Gold Hill Elementary and Orchard Park Elementary (new students will attend Riverview Elementary). Other elementary schools within the district: Fort Mill Elementary and Springfield Elementary.

Now in regard to our middle and high schools....a new middle school was opened this past school year...and a new high school is set to open this August. At that point...enrollment levels will be as low as they were apx. 10 years ago.

Best of luck with your search...and if you are still interested in the Fort Mill area...I highly recommend you post your questions on the SC side and speak directly to parents that have children within the Fort Mill schools!
As usual, GREAT info

Tried to give you rep points, but you know the story - I guess I haven't spread enough around, LOL. Someone else give this lady some positive rep!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:37 AM

153 posts, read 478,065 times
I would look in Lincoln County, specifically The Gates at Waterside Crossing community. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 AM

James- funny you should mention Moss creek- I had just looked them up on the web through Shea homes. Looks like a great community. I like the fact that elementary and middle school are in the neighborhood. How would you compare Highland Creek and Moss Creek? Odell and Cox mill elementaries?

Loves- I appreciate your insight to the York school zoning issues- what they are doing makes sense- if there is space at another school why not send the children there instead of overcrowding and portables. But I am not sure I want my children ridding the bus or being moved from school to school- passing one school to get to another. I will check out the SC forum- thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte