Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:02 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times

Advertisements

I got a quote on the Progressive site-it was about the same as we pay now with me added as a driver,but with better coverage.I messed around with deductables and different levels of cover etc.It was cheaper with me on than just DH on his own.
What levels of cover do people usually go for for (now I have to get this right as it's alien to me) underinsured and non-insured?
I know we are paying a lot as we are classed as new drivers, but generally insurance seems more expensive. I guess that comes down to the differences in the health care systems.
Next question please!
My parents are planning to spend around 4 months in NC over the Autumn/Winter.Rather than hire a car they want to buy one-just a cheap runaround to get them from A-B.
Now say we bought that car for them to use-so registered in our name, could we add that/them to our insurance? Unfortunately they wouldn't be living with us during that time, but if we leant it to them to use while they were here?
I assume they would need to get NC licenses if they were here for more than 60 days, is it?
I got quotes for them and it was cheaper than ours, but they are over 65.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 PM

248 posts, read 721,891 times
I think with Allstate (if I remember properly) I had spoken to an agent.. 10 years ago.. and he wanted a letter from the insurance company from my country that i had insurance.. and they did not count it as new driver.. am no longer new driver and am with Geico for loooooong time for both my truck and motocycle..

Now.. Here are some useful points..

1. If you are married.. mention that.. married rate is lower than single rate
2. Make sure you are getting discounts for the stuff in your car: Passive Alarm, ABS Brakes, Lo-Jack
3. Check all the memberships and associations, Geico gives discounts for being in a Credit Union, Alumni and having many professional memberships.
3. Defensive Driver Course, is like $30 or so.. but its gives 10% or more discount. Take the course.
4. Which company did you go to? There are some cheaper companies like Amica, Esurance, AAA who will provide the same policy like Geico, Nationwide, Allstate, Farmers, Progressive without extra bells and whistles. Wont hurt to compare them.
5. If you are a confident driver, $1000 deductible may be good. But, if it looks like you will be making claims then I think $500 is recommended (I have $250, who knows.. just in case.. )
6. If you have AAA membership, there is no need to take the towing coverage.
7. If you have a good health & medical insurance, think about the Medical Payments and Medical Coverage part.
8. I know an other ways, but I rather not post that here.. or I'll get banned.. LOL!!

Goodluck.. will update this thread if I think of anything more..

Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
I think with Allstate (if I remember properly) I had spoken to an agent.. 10 years ago.. and he wanted a letter from the insurance company from my country that i had insurance.. and they did not count it as new driver.. am no longer new driver and am with Geico for loooooong time for both my truck and motocycle..

Now.. Here are some useful points..

1. If you are married.. mention that.. married rate is lower than single rate
2. Make sure you are getting discounts for the stuff in your car: Passive Alarm, ABS Brakes, Lo-Jack
3. Check all the memberships and associations, Geico gives discounts for being in a Credit Union, Alumni and having many professional memberships.
3. Defensive Driver Course, is like $30 or so.. but its gives 10% or more discount. Take the course.
4. Which company did you go to? There are some cheaper companies like Amica, Esurance, AAA who will provide the same policy like Geico, Nationwide, Allstate, Farmers, Progressive without extra bells and whistles. Wont hurt to compare them.
5. If you are a confident driver, $1000 deductible may be good. But, if it looks like you will be making claims then I think $500 is recommended (I have $250, who knows.. just in case.. )
6. If you have AAA membership, there is no need to take the towing coverage.
7. If you have a good health & medical insurance, think about the Medical Payments and Medical Coverage part.
8. I know an other ways, but I rather not post that here.. or I'll get banned.. LOL!!

Goodluck.. will update this thread if I think of anything more..
Thanks, you could DM me?
OK-we don't have alumni or memberships from the US as we are from UK
We have AAA membership and good health/medical ins so didn't opt for towing or med cov.
Where can you find info about defenssive driver courses please?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 AM

248 posts, read 721,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Thanks, you could DM me?
OK-we don't have alumni or memberships from the US as we are from UK
We have AAA membership and good health/medical ins so didn't opt for towing or med cov.
Where can you find info about defenssive driver courses please?
Just google defensive driving north carolina and you should get many of the online and classromm courses.. i see they range from $19.99 and go up.. but u can call your insurance company and ask them which is the school that they'll surely honor the discount for..
North Carolina Traffic School

North Carolina Online Defensive Driving Traffic School

I shall DM you

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
We use Erie Insurance and got a great quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte