Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:32 PM

21 posts, read 47,259 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm brand new to this forum. We recently found out that my husband may be transferred to Charlotte. His new office would be in zip code 28226. We're coming from Orange County, CA. Yes, OC is very great with the beaches and nice weather but the cost of living is out of control. Also, we are originally from Texas and went to school in Oklahoma so it will be nice to get back to changing seasons, etc.

I'd love to hear recommendations on where we should look to live. We'll be renting at first, but then looking to purchase a home around $150,000 - $250,000.

Thank you so much for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Your hubby's office would be located in S. Charlotte.

BTW - good luck with transfer!!! The cost of living is much better here in NC, even tho you are right - it will be a big change. We have had several members on the forum who have moved from Orange County and it seems they have made the transition well and like it here.

You can find lots of places to rent in S. CLT but finding a home under $250,000 will be a challenge. However, you could still have a decent commute and live elsewhere and find a home in that price range.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
Im from the Sacramento area. We moved in 2006. We love it here. We live in Indian Trail. Union county schools are great. You will be able to find a lot of homes in your price range.It's easy to jump on the 485 and get to work. Im looking for my parents right now(they are moving from Stockton Ca). Some subdivisions that you may want to check out: Crismark,Brandon Oaks and Taylor Glenn.Good luck!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:52 AM

Thank you so much to the posts above! I did do a little looking around and got discouraged because the homes near his new work are out of our price range But now I'm thinking we should start looking in Indian Trail, Matthews or Pineville.

I do have another question - I'm an interior designer so I'll need to be able to travel easily all over the city to visit clients, etc. Will this be okay living in those areas? Or would true South Charlotte be better location wise for me?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajd517 View Post
Thank you so much to the posts above! I did do a little looking around and got discouraged because the homes near his new work are out of our price range But now I'm thinking we should start looking in Indian Trail, Matthews or Pineville.

I do have another question - I'm an interior designer so I'll need to be able to travel easily all over the city to visit clients, etc. Will this be okay living in those areas? Or would true South Charlotte be better location wise for me?

Thanks again everyone!
Of those three, I'd pick Matthews personally. I <3 Matthews, lots of charm and everything you need close by.

All those areas are about 15 minutes from S. Charlotte depending on exactly where you are going, from parts of Matthews, you can be in south Charlotte in 5-7 minutes. It all depends on traffic.

There are parts of West Union County (Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel) that you might want to consider too, w/ houses in the 2s

Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Of those three, I'd pick Matthews personally. I <3 Matthews, lots of charm and everything you need close by.

All those areas are about 15 minutes from S. Charlotte depending on exactly where you are going, from parts of Matthews, you can be in south Charlotte in 5-7 minutes. It all depends on traffic.

There are parts of West Union County (Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel) that you might want to consider too, w/ houses in the 2s
Thanks for the tip!

This is silly, but our dog's name is Charlotte and my husband's name is Matthew. Maybe it's a sign that Charlotte (or Matthews) will be perfect for us

Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajd517 View Post
Thanks for the tip!

This is silly, but our dog's name is Charlotte and my husband's name is Matthew. Maybe it's a sign that Charlotte (or Matthews) will be perfect for us
LOL! I love it! I think it is a sign!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
What part of the OC are you coming from? I am a CA native, lived in Yorba Linda for 15 years before we moved here, DH twisted my arm. Been here for 2 1/2 years now. We are in Weddington which is next to Waxhaw and Wesley Chapel. We liked the area as it reminded us of YL a little, a country feel but still close to the city and not so far out.

Make sure to get a GPS, the streets here are not laid out like So Cal. The streets change names and it can be very confusing and frustrating.

Check out the Allen Tate Realty website, it's pretty good for property searches.
Allen Tate Real Estate

Union County has lower property taxes than Mecklenburg, for now anyway.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
What part of the OC are you coming from? I am a CA native, lived in Yorba Linda for 15 years before we moved here, DH twisted my arm. Been here for 2 1/2 years now. We are in Weddington which is next to Waxhaw and Wesley Chapel. We liked the area as it reminded us of YL a little, a country feel but still close to the city and not so far out.

Make sure to get a GPS, the streets here are not laid out like So Cal. The streets change names and it can be very confusing and frustrating.

Check out the Allen Tate Realty website, it's pretty good for property searches.
Allen Tate Real Estate

Union County has lower property taxes than Mecklenburg, for now anyway.
How exciting! Another OC'er! We will be coming from Rancho Santa Margarita, are you familiar with that area? It's near Irvine and Mission Viejo.

I think what I'll miss most is the hills, but I've heard there are hills in the Carolina's. Plus I LOVE all the trees (from what I've seen). I've always wanted to live in a home nestled in the trees. I'm pretty sure I can give up beaches and hills for pretty tree lined streets and changing seasons! I do miss thunderstorms so much (grew up in tornado alley).

Thanks for the link, I'll check out that site!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 PM

26 posts, read 57,510 times
Moved here from San Diego last October, lived in O.C. before S.D. and needed a change. Boy, is this a change! I like it here, don't quite love it yet. But, I am hopeful that once I start meeting people and get connected I will come to love it. I work from home so I haven't quite figured out the best way to meet people. If you like good Mexican food, make sure you eat up before coming here. They do EVERYTHING Southern style. There are a lot of nice areas and I really don't miss California - except for knowing my way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte