Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nichols View Post
Bryan's in Headingley, Kingfisher at Calder Grove, just off junction 39 of the M1.

The Wetherby Whaler at Calder Island in Wakefield has a good reputation, but outside the West Riding there's not much.

Ohhh, wait, did you mean locally?
That's funny. I was going to mention Toff's of Muswell Hill London N10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
And I was going to mention Bag O'Nails pub @ 6 Buckingham Palace Rd, London.

I've always had delightful fish & chips there and it is where Paul McCartney first met Linda Eastman.
Good food and beer!
When in London it is where we go...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM

240 posts, read 731,791 times
Cool fish and chips

I would suggest

O'Shea's

Jackalopes

Big Ben

As a Brit myself, i also miss a good old fish and chips!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
^^^Another vote for O'Shea's!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
OOh Muswell Hill, your getting into my territory, Hamstead Heath, Hamstead, Finchley, and Golders Green. Sorry, no good fish and trips in those areas. I can recommend some good Indian restaurants or bagels if you are in Golders Green and want to buy at the only place in London that actually sells descent bagels. Cherio. Actually, as we know, London foodl (local stuff) actually sucked until they started getting such things as pininnis in pubs. Food has actually become eatible in the last decade, not world class, but good.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
My favourite chippie in London is in Burnt Oak...I really like that area of London. Not too many tourists up there!

sorry, vindaloo, my English friends have told me that Galway Hooker has horrid food. Don't know personally as I have never been there. He's from south of London.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
OOh Muswell Hill, your getting into my territory, Hamstead Heath, Hamstead, Finchley, and Golders Green. Sorry, no good fish and trips in those areas. I can recommend some good Indian restaurants or bagels if you are in Golders Green and want to buy at the only place in London that actually sells descent bagels. Cherio. Actually, as we know, London foodl (local stuff) actually sucked until they started getting such things as pininnis in pubs. Food has actually become eatible in the last decade, not world class, but good.
Golders Green - best place to buy a ham at Christmas when everyone else has sold out!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
My favourite chippie in London is in Burnt Oak...I really like that area of London. Not too many tourists up there!

sorry, vindaloo, my English friends have told me that Galway Hooker has horrid food. Don't know personally as I have never been there. He's from south of London.
I know Burnt Oak. I used the Northern line regularly towards Edgeware. Anyway, I have read old reviews that make negative comments about fish and chips at the Galway. I understand that they came under new management a couple of years ago and the food got much better. I would tell your friends to check it again as it has obviously improved tremendously. I believe the new manager is an Irish lad, not that they are know as great cooks. I really can't comment on other items on the menu at Galway. I usually drink beer and munch off my wife's plate.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Golders Green - best place to buy a ham at Christmas when everyone else has sold out!!!
Golders Green used to be the only place open on Sundays since it is a Jewish area and blue laws were in effect in many other places. I used to buy my bag of bagels there on Sundays. When I go to London, I ride the National Express bus from Gatwich to Golders Green. Lots cheaper than a taxi or rail, but don't tell anyone. That is our secret

Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
I used to love a little chippe in Acton.

Though I have noticed even Harry Ramsden is better that any offerings over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte