Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,893 times

Advertisements

What are some possible issues I could face if I work in a district in SC in education and later move to a district in NC? From what I've been told, I'd have to "start all over" in working towards retirement. I haven't had my orientation yet or received any paperwork for my SC district, so this information might be coming my way soon, but I want a heads up on what to expect. Any info to share about this? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
What are some possible issues I could face if I work in a district in SC in education and later move to a district in NC? From what I've been told, I'd have to "start all over" in working towards retirement. I haven't had my orientation yet or received any paperwork for my SC district, so this information might be coming my way soon, but I want a heads up on what to expect. Any info to share about this? Thanks in advance!
They are two separate states, so why you think you'd get to keep your retirement benefits when you leave one to go to the other is beyond me.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,300 times
You will indeed have to "start over" when you move from one state's retirement system to another. You can decide to pull your money out of one state's system when you move and invest it in your new state's system; however, the penalty and taxes on doing such is pretty expensive, and you won't get those years of service adding to your new state.
Ask them instead about being vesting in a state's system - the length of time varies from state to state. I won't go into the long details of what vesting means for retirement here so ask them to explain it to you.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 AM

533 posts, read 1,833,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
They are two separate states, so why you think you'd get to keep your retirement benefits when you leave one to go to the other is beyond me.
Hmm, perhaps since this is my first "real job" and I don't have any experience with this sort of thing? That might be your least helpful response to a post yet loves, I am surpised.

Thanks lowercountry for your helpful reply! I will definitely inquire about vesting and I am sure they will go over that and much more at the orientation.

My old principal in NC made it out to sound that it is horrible to switch from one state to another and that I'd have to work years beyond my time, but I would think people do it all the time since there is no guarentee that you won't move out of state at some point. That is why am I curious about what issues I would face if I do this. She also said that SCs benefits aren't as good as NCs, but I don't know if that's true or if she was trying to make me change my mind.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:27 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
My old principal in NC made it out to sound that it is horrible to switch from one state to another and that I'd have to work years beyond my time, but I would think people do it all the time since there is no guarentee that you won't move out of state at some point. That is why am I curious about what issues I would face if I do this. She also said that SCs benefits aren't as good as NCs, but I don't know if that's true or if she was trying to make me change my mind.
I have heard similar stories about NC's benefits being better but I do not think that it is substantially greater.
To be very basic here, vesting is the amount of time you have to put into a system to be able to draw from it at retirement age. I think it is 20 years in SC. It used to be only 5 years in NC but that has either changed or will be changed soon I think. In other words, if you work 20 years in SC, then move to NC, you can begin to draw back on those 20 years in SC when you finally reach retirement age. If, however, you stay in SC for the full 28 years (teacher's retirement age in SC), you can retire at that point. For example, I began at age 21 in SC and will be able to retire with full benefits at 49. If I leave SC after 20 years though, I'd have to wait to the legal retirement age (is it 67 now?) to get even partial retirement benefits from SC. If I leave SC for NC after 19 years, I am not vested.

Any of that make sense? I am sure they can make it much more clear to you.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:41 AM

223 posts, read 531,737 times
I think that it is still 5 years in NC, because I taught for seven years in NC and then jumped over to SC. I still have my retirement in NC, and I am eligible to receive health benefits when I retire, as long as I do not cash it out. You do in a way start over again when you jump the border, because it is a new system. They pay you for years of experience, although you have to go through the same hoops you do when you first start out as a teacher (observations and accreditation and what not). There is reciprocity for your actual certificate in both states, although you still jump through hoops. Point blank find a state you like and stay there because it is a pain in the butt paper work trail to follow.

If you start in SC you may want to stay there for a little while before you make the jump. The issues that I have seen is people teaching a year in this state, a year in that state, and then you have not built any time anywhere. When you jump all over you have a harder time building that retirement.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:14 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Dez..
Better check, I think NC has changed that 5 year vested rule about 2 or 3 years ago.

To the OP, if you haven't got 20 in the SC retirement system then you will be allowed (read as smart) to pull out your part of the retirement in your account and invest it somewhere else. The NC buy-in for years may or may not be worth it. You might do better putting it in an individual retirement plan.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 PM

223 posts, read 531,737 times
I fell within that time period when I taught in NC

Old 09-27-2009, 06:08 PM

35 posts, read 140,328 times
I don't understand. I teach in NJ. If you teach in NJ and you have taught in another state, then you have a certain amount of time--a few years-- to "buy back" your pension from the other state so that you can tack that on to your NJ pension. Makes sense to me. Maybe it will work for you between SC and NC.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 12,352 times
I taught eight years in Virginia, and I'm currently in North Carolina teaching. How much does it cost to buy back eight years from Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte