Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,542 times

Advertisements

Just a note to let everyone know that PJ O'Reilly's, the Irish pub that's had a banner up near Mexquite off Ardrey Kell @ Johnston Road opened last week and in my humble opinion, it is faaaabulous!

They've opened pretty quietly (no Jupiter Jump or Moon Walk fun day a la Big View Diner, thank goodness) and I went for my first time last Thursday. Being as all of Meck. and NC is going non-smoking in January, the owner has decided to just open as a non-smoking establishment, which is great for me and my allergies! (Our previous favorite Irish pub O'Shea's down at the Fountains on Ardrey Kell was great, but alas far too smoky for me in the evenings, we could only visit during lunch.)

Since going last Thursday I've been back two other times *cough* and I'm pretty sure the third time (with coworkers) turned me from loyal customer to "pub stalker", but I can't help myself - the chicken fingers are JUST. THAT. GOOD! They're crispy and battered in a Guiness beer batter, as are the fish and chips, which my husband reports are great.

Two out of the three times I've been there, the owner's been at his favorite bar-side booth, having dinner, generally keeping an eye on the place and getting up to manage things or talk with customers as needed. The wait staff has been consistently excellent, and Hank our first waiter knows me by sight now (like I said, I'm a pub stalker I guess) so it's already started to feel like a neighborhood hang. It helps that it's within stumbling distance of my house.

Very pleased with the place, and it's everything I wanted in a neighborhood pub, so I wanted to share for anyone thinking of checking it out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM

87 posts, read 274,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Just a note to let everyone know that PJ O'Reilly's, the Irish pub that's had a banner up near Mexquite off Ardrey Kell @ Johnston Road opened last week and in my humble opinion, it is faaaabulous!

They've opened pretty quietly (no Jupiter Jump or Moon Walk fun day a la Big View Diner, thank goodness) and I went for my first time last Thursday. Being as all of Meck. and NC is going non-smoking in January, the owner has decided to just open as a non-smoking establishment, which is great for me and my allergies! (Our previous favorite Irish pub O'Shea's down at the Fountains on Ardrey Kell was great, but alas far too smoky for me in the evenings, we could only visit during lunch.)

Since going last Thursday I've been back two other times *cough* and I'm pretty sure the third time (with coworkers) turned me from loyal customer to "pub stalker", but I can't help myself - the chicken fingers are JUST. THAT. GOOD! They're crispy and battered in a Guiness beer batter, as are the fish and chips, which my husband reports are great.

Two out of the three times I've been there, the owner's been at his favorite bar-side booth, having dinner, generally keeping an eye on the place and getting up to manage things or talk with customers as needed. The wait staff has been consistently excellent, and Hank our first waiter knows me by sight now (like I said, I'm a pub stalker I guess) so it's already started to feel like a neighborhood hang. It helps that it's within stumbling distance of my house.

Very pleased with the place, and it's everything I wanted in a neighborhood pub, so I wanted to share for anyone thinking of checking it out!!
Just curious, what did you get to eat?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
Sounds like he got chicken fingers?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
Are you teasing me? I only ask because there's a thread on my FB page about my shameful addiction to PJ's chicken fingers and half my friends are runners.

The chicken fingers OF COURSE! (I have the palate of a 9 year old this week, apparently...)

I tried the potato soup on my first visit, but it's more of a baked potato soup than the consistency at O'Shea's or Ri Ra's, so I've switched to the chicken fingers.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM

457 posts, read 1,377,425 times
Quote:

Thanks Diertac for the review, I've heard good things too, as a matter of fact my neighbor bartends there. Great to hear it's non-smoking too...

Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM

87 posts, read 274,475 times
Quote:
Are you teasing me? I only ask because there's a thread on my FB page about my shameful addiction to PJ's chicken fingers and half my friends are runners.

The chicken fingers OF COURSE! (I have the palate of a 9 year old this week, apparently...)

I tried the potato soup on my first visit, but it's more of a baked potato soup than the consistency at O'Shea's or Ri Ra's, so I've switched to the chicken fingers.
indeed great review!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,060 times
Does anyone know who the owner is as I had heard that one of the owners of O'Shea's was opening up another around there so was just wondering.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
I think it's owned by the same guy who owns O'Shea's. I heard that somewhere, but am not 100% sure.

Great Review!!

Jake

Old 08-04-2009, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 35,974 times
Went there last weekend. The wings were tasty but wayyy too small in size. Would need 2 orders of wings to consider it a true appetizer imo. The banger had no juice to it at all but I'm sure this will improve in time. I will definitely return because the place has tvs everywhere. However, I will be trying something different for an entree.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,063 times
PJ O'Reilly's has no relation to O'Sheas.. it is owned by someone else...
Chicken wing issues has been resolved went to a larger wing
Banger issue resolved changed the cooking time and process
please let us know of any issues and we will correct as best we can... check us out on facebook and at Redirect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte