Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 AM

210 posts, read 604,280 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I love Zada Janes, and the breakfast is fantastic, but it's way too expensive for basic breakfast. I was there a few days ago -- 2 scrambled eggs, good bacon, roasted potatoes, wheat toast, and excellent coffee with refills -- and it was $10 not including tip. It was all very good, but $12 is too much for breakfast. To be fair, you can get a good biscuit sandwich for $4.

Now, if you go on a weekend, sit outside, play shuffleboard, drink 4 cups of coffee, and get something like the Bunny Rancheros ("two of your choice happy eggs atop black beans, home fries, your choice of: chorizo, turkey sausage, local Grateful Growers pork sausage, or soysage, or Chipotle chicken topped with a pepper jack cheese queso sauce, guacamole, salsa verde and sour cream served with warm flour tortillas", that's a different story.

Still looking for a good cheap weekday breakfast. John's is okay -- think I need to try Sammy's. San Remo was pretty good, but found it just before it closed. Also need to try Amelie's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Well, I was going to tell you to try Liberty East but they have a sanitation score of 91. Apparently, the workers like to crack eggs and then handle food without washing their hands.

Have you tried Landmark Diner on Central Ave.? They have a good breakfast.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,070 times
I just saw the Pancakes with bits of bacon in them at the Original Pancake House. That sounds awesome. I may have to visit that place this weekend when the wife is at work!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,970 times
Thank you so much for your help! I have tried several of these suggestions - thanks! We live in the Steele Creek area so Uptown was not practial - but you never know when we might have out of town guests. Have tried Big View Diner for dinner - seems like too much of a chain feel - not the home-y feel I was expecting from a diner. Like LePeeps - was yummy and service was friendly. Sweet Tea Diner sounds intriguing as does Big Daddy's Burger Bar. And funny thing - we were in Ft. Mill last Friday and ate at the Fish Fare (9good food for the money!- Very warm and friendly service!!) and saw they are open for breakfast on Saturdays - who knew?! May have to splurge and try Zada Janes!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
John's Country Kitchen on Central Avenue
Landmark Diner, also on Central
Sammy's Deli, 1113 Pecan
Tryon House, several locations
Amelie's on N. Davidson

Mmmm.... breakfast.
Yeah , I second Tryon House...now that you brought it up , I may go there Friday morning after work. Thanks.
Also , if you are in for the drive , Eldorado Outpost on hwy. 109 in Eldorado has excellent biscuits. Haven't eaten other items , but based uopn the smell , they are good too. You can take either 49 north to 109 in Montgomery County , or for a more scenic journey , take Albemarle Road to Albemarle , go to the 6th light , turn right , cross over Lake Tillery , turn left at the flashing yellow light , take it to the stop sign at 109 , turn left , and it will be on the right after crossing Uwharrie River and going up the hill. Good Luck on your endeavours!!

Last edited by etacarinae; 08-27-2009 at 04:46 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,045 times
After waiting several months for Big View to open and watching the dates listed on their website, we made several trips to the restaurant only to find that they were closed every time. I also sent an email to them asking when they were opening for breakfast, but received no response. Honestly, hubby and I said that we were going to write them off completely...even when they did finally decide to open for breakfast. Well...during a moment of weakness, we decided to give it a try after all. We are SO glad we did!

We have been in Charlotte for almost 6 years and have been on a search for an excellent breakfast place since the day we got here. Coming from New England, we had great breakfast places all around us so we have very high expectations and standards. First of all, we do not like those shredded hash browns. They are often too crunchy and lack flavor. We love home fries and have only found a couple of local restaurants that serve them. Unfortunately, one place is inconsistent with the freshness and flavor of them, and the other place is just too expensive. In our opinion, it shouldn't cost $9.00 for a standard egg, meat, toast and potato platter. We also like our eggs cooked the way we ask for them (over medium) and the toast should be toasted, not just warmed….doesn’t sound like it should be a tall order, but often times it is. I am also a big fan of corned beef hash, but only homemade, fresh, tasty hash....not the stuff from a can that most local restaurants serve. Hubby loves standard egg platters, with the above-mentioned expectations attached to them. Sure, you can get eggs, meat and potatoes at any place that serves breakfast, but they often fall short of our standards.Well...we have finally found our go-to breakfast place!

They have only been open for breakfast for a couple of weeks and we have already been there 3 times. From the moment you walk in the door, you are hit with the wonderful aromas of fresh baked goods. The inside, although it doesn't look like a diner, it is very nice looking and comfortable. The hostesses are very nice and the servers, although hustling, are warm and friendly. However, it is really the breakfast food that matters...they have the best corned beef hash of any restaurant in the area (honestly, it may be the best I have had, ever...and I have had some GREAT corned beef hash in my day!!). They make their own corned beef...so they make their own corned beef hash. It is truly fabulous! My hubby gets the standard egg, meat, toast, and "home fries" platter and he loves it every time! They cook their eggs perfectly, the sausage patties are tasty and not too greasy, the bread (NY style Rye for us, please!) is perfectly toasted, and the home fries are chunky, fresh and flavored perfectly with bell peppers, onions and seasoning. My middle-school aged son always gets the kids pancake platter which comes with a giant pancake, a choice of meat and a drink. The pancakes are always fluffy and they will even add a few chocolate chips upon request. My son is NOT a breakfast eater, but he loves Big View.

The only item that is consistently lacking is the coffee. It's not terrible by any means, but it's not excellent either. A bit too strong, but not bitter...so it's palatable.We have not tried Big View for lunch or dinner, and I don't know that will, but it will be a great post-movie stop for a piece of cake. Their desserts look fabulous!

In this viewers opinion...you should give Big View a try for breakfast.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,970 times
I may have to re-visit Big View for breakfast. I ate lunch and dinner there and was not that impressed -but it sounds like breakfast might be worth a second try. Plus, I did go when they had only been open a few weeks - I have a feeling they were still working out the kinks ? Thanks for your great description of your positive expereince!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHome8922 View Post
I may have to re-visit Big View for breakfast. I ate lunch and dinner there and was not that impressed -but it sounds like breakfast might be worth a second try. Plus, I did go when they had only been open a few weeks - I have a feeling they were still working out the kinks ? Thanks for your great description of your positive expereince!
I've been there a few times for breakfast now and it has always been good. If you like Corned Beef Hash try theirs, it's awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of the sausage gravy and biscuits tho.

Speaking of sausage gravy and biscuits, I also forgot Bob Evans. A lot of people may laugh at that, but I think their breakfast is pretty good and their sausage is the yummiest! I'm from Ohio so I may be biased as that's where they are from, and i grew up on their breakfasts every Sunday after mass.

Last edited by sophialee; 09-10-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
I like Jonathan's (old tryon house) in Matthews by the Grand Slam batting cages.

They have the duck pond for the kids which is great. Also, their breakfast I thought was pretty good. Went to Waffle House and was not impressed at all.......

Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 AM

386 posts, read 1,363,667 times
yummo - i cannot wait to get to Charlotte and try all the restaurants recommended on this board. I have been creating 'favorites' for the websites provided - thx bunches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte