Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani,

The OP's husband should not apply to Food Lion in Cleveland & Gaston Counties, because the existing employees have had their hours cut severely. The Kings Mountain & Dallas Ingles supermarkets are killing Food Lion. I have not heard about the other chains, but I have heard from 2 Food Lion employees that at least 1 store will probably close soon.

Since Kings Mountain & Dallas have both opened in the last year & are so successful, I'd guess that they will keep opening stores, in spite of the economy. Whether the next store will be in Hickory or if they will continue toward Charlotte is anyone's guess.
I can see this being true. I know a few people who live in eastern Gaston county and drive to the Ingles in Dallas. The prefer it to other stores in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I can see this being true. I know a few people who live in eastern Gaston county and drive to the Ingles in Dallas. The prefer it to other stores in the area.
I have overheard people in the Kings Mountain Ingles store & some have come to it from eastern Gaston County including Belmont.

These stores are huge draws & are modeled on the biggest, newest supermarkets in any area of the country. I can only speak for the 2 Food Lions in Kings Mountain, from personal experience, but the produce is beyond horrible & most of the staff is rude. Ingles has good produce & a polite staff & much lower prices. This is not just my opinion, everyone in town who I know discusses it openly.

Ingles knows where they are drawing from because of the Advantage cards. Whether their game-plan includes going into Charlotte remains to be seen, but they are definitely in the western metro area.

Since the OP wants to look outside of Charlotte & the immediate suburbs, I'd say that Ingles is the strongest grocery employer & then there's the Target distribution center. I think that's in Newton.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-12-2009 at 02:32 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,842 times
Yes my friends rave about the produce section. I'll have to check it out when I'm over that way.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Yes my friends rave about the produce section. I'll have to check it out when I'm over that way.
Plan to go on a day when you have a couple of hours to kill, browsing through the place. If Dallas is a clone of Kings Mountain, you can even get a custom sandwich & a drink at the Deli counter & they provide tables.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 12,757 times
hi im actually from central jersey in Somerset, its by rutgers, i considered moving south jersey as well but i cant find teaching positions out here! And i figure if im going to be making the same money substitute teaching i might as well be paying affordable rent, we rent a house right now and its not a large house. Im more concerned with my husband being able to find work, especially after that one post of 200 people for one pt deli position. Hickory is my first choice, ive also thought about mocksville. We are going to be making a trip down there to check everything out, and speak with the locals and see what the job market is really like. I thought about going into some of the chains stores and speaking to managers to hear from them how many people actually apply to those positions and if they are hiring. Where in south jersey are you from? Do you think you made the right choice?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0stwithalice View Post
hi im actually from central jersey in Somerset, its by rutgers, i considered moving south jersey as well but i cant find teaching positions out here! And i figure if im going to be making the same money substitute teaching i might as well be paying affordable rent, we rent a house right now and its not a large house. Im more concerned with my husband being able to find work, especially after that one post of 200 people for one pt deli position. Hickory is my first choice, ive also thought about mocksville. We are going to be making a trip down there to check everything out, and speak with the locals and see what the job market is really like. I thought about going into some of the chains stores and speaking to managers to hear from them how many people actually apply to those positions and if they are hiring. Where in south jersey are you from? Do you think you made the right choice?
I moved from Cherry Hill. I made the right move for me. I would be a liar if I said that nothing has gone amiss, but you just deal with things & move on.

Hickory would get you reasonably close to Newton, where the Target distribution center is. Target distribution center opens in Newton | Charlotte News, Weather, Sports | WCNC.com | Local News (http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-081109-mw-target-center-opens.cd5a425e.html - broken link)

Since it's so close to the opening of school, have you looked at Delaware? That would get you headed south & you could move to NC next year, when, hopefully, the economy will be better.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,757 times
thanks southbound, actually we are going to stick out the school year here for the kids, its going to be rough financially, but it will allow us to do our research and make the right decision on which area to move to. Hickory is my first choice, but if we cant find work there i am also looking at wake forest, its a little pricier but closer to the major cities and they have a good school system. I am going to have to see if the hiring freezes are increasing or decreasing by june. Right now i am researching a few towns to visit and keep an eye on employment trends in these areas.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 15,087 times
crime in charlotte, (mecklenburg county) makes it resemble dodge city...they have a district attorney that apparently doesn't like to prosecute repeat criminals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte