Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM

62 posts, read 269,709 times

Advertisements

So the other day I accidentally backed into a car at around 5 MPH in a parking lot. Some damage was done, no one was hurt, but all in all it was very minor and easily described as a fender bender.

Me and the other driver had the police come out and do a formal report. We both had valid drivers licenses, registrations, tags and full coverage for insurance. The officer didn't write a ticket, warning, or anything, he said it was a simple mistake on my part and me and the other driver parted amicably.

I submitted the claim to my insurance and in a week everything was good as new for me AND the other driver.

I talked to them later and they told me I was going to have 3 points on my license!

My questions are:
  • Do points go away over time?
  • Have can you check if you do have points?
  • Can your appeal points?
  • How can you get rid of them?
I have never had any points and 3 points seem extreme for this type of accident.

I looked up point values assigned for NC and it says you get 3 points for:
Quote:
  • Running through stop sign
  • Speeding more than 55 mph
  • Speeding through a school zone
  • No driver license or license expired more than one year
  • Failure to stop for siren
  • Speeding through safety zone
  • Failure to report accident where such report is required
  • No liability insurance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan112ryan View Post
...I talked to them later and they told me I was going to have 3 points on my license!
Just curious, who were you talking to at this point - the other driver, your insurance company or the officer on the scene?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM

62 posts, read 269,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Just curious, who were you talking to at this point - the other driver, your insurance company or the officer on the scene?
Insurance: they said "you will have three points on your license"

Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
This makes absolutely NO sense.
Who is your carrier and did you have an absolutely spotless record before this fender-bender?
Sounds like you are being quoted INSURANCE points assessed by your carrier which are completely independent of DL points which accumulate to 12 and loss of license.

BUT, if it was the minor fender-bender you describe, why not just pay out of pocket and not file a claim.
Points (Insurance points) will cost you several hundred dollars PER POINT for three years.

You are being gouged.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:16 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan112ryan View Post
....I submitted the claim to my insurance and in a week everything was good as new for me AND the other driver.
I looked up point values assigned for NC and it says you get 3 points for:
You are confusing "insurance points" with "license points".

You get license points when charged and convicted by the police for having broken a traffic law. For example in NC if you pass a school bus and get caught and plead guilty, this will be 5 points against your license. These are used by the NCDOT to determine if you can have keep your license. From your description you didn't get any license points.

There is also something cause "insurance points". These are used by the insurance companies to add surcharges to your car insurance. You score these points by several methods. One is by getting certain tickets. Getting convicted by a DUI results in a jackpot of insurance points. Another, and this applies to you, is having an accident where you are at fault. If you were backing up and hit someone, then the insurance company automatically assigns fault to you and if they pay to fix your car or the other driver's car, then they will assign insurance points. In fact anytime you use your collision or liability insurance you will get insurance points assigned. Generally these will drop off after 3 years.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,494 times
Call around with some of the other major insurance companies and see what your rate would be with them and compare that to your rate with your current insurance company.

I found that sometimes each company's system takes a while to update so you can get in at a low cost before you accident affects your premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte