Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 PM

21 posts, read 47,307 times

Advertisements

So I've been checking out this board a lot lately and found the posts on crime.

Wow. I didn't realize crime was a 7 or 8 out of 10 (being the worst). My current town is a 2 - we keep all the doors unlocked and usually wide open when we are home, windows open all day while we are gone. I know we will need to change our ways if we move to Charlotte.

For those of you who are very familiar with Charlotte, can you please let me know which are the safest areas to live in South Charlotte? Specifically around 28226.

Please help give me a peace of mind..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 PM

172 posts, read 465,641 times
I think it's best to keep doors locked no matter which zip code you live in. Criminals target upscale neighborhoods.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
sorry, there is nowhere in Charlotte...possibly even the state that would be safe enough to leave your doors unlocked. It is possible that if you leave your CAR doors unlocked, you could be ticketed...it is a $50.00 fine if you leave valuable stuff in the car!! (not to mention that it probably would not be there long...nor the car for that matter...)

don't know where you live now, but, thinking that if you have not had the proper city training, you had better get some before you move here. You will be a target!!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
sorry, there is nowhere in Charlotte...possibly even the state that would be safe enough to leave your doors unlocked. It is possible that if you leave your CAR doors unlocked, you could be ticketed...it is a $50.00 fine if you leave valuable stuff in the car!! (not to mention that it probably would not be there long...nor the car for that matter...)

don't know where you live now, but, thinking that if you have not had the proper city training, you had better get some before you move here. You will be a target!!
Yeah, we definitely know we won't be doing that in Charlotte. If anything, because of the humidity

However - when the weather is nice, do people have their house windows open when they are home? Or is that unsafe?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
usually not. In particular not when they are not at home.

I have special security windows that will not open any more than about 6". I keep a couple of my downstairs windows open using them, and just the inaccessible upstairs windows open any more than that.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajd517 View Post
Yeah, we definitely know we won't be doing that in Charlotte. If anything, because of the humidity

However - when the weather is nice, do people have their house windows open when they are home? Or is that unsafe?
To be frank, I never open any windows on the ground floor. I actually have them bolted shut w/ a special type of lock that has to be unscrewed. But I started installing that type of lock on my windows back in the 80s, when I first discovered them - and have had them in three houses. So that was not something I did solely b/c I live in Charlotte.

I live in 28226 in a neighborhood that is very safe. Anything off Carmel is considered very safe. The closer you get to Hwy 51 or to apartments, it seems to me from crime mapping, that this ups your chance of a break in. But even then, these incidents are not common.

I have an alarm system w/ extra bells and whistles . . . and a dog who barks if someone so much as gets near our driveway . . . I have low voltage perimeter lighting that stays on all night . . . and I feel very secure in my home. We have had no breakins around my street. All my neighbors have dogs that bark . . . we pay attention to who comes and goes.

As long as you observe the usual safety rules, stuff like not leaving your garage door open for long periods of time, keeping your car locked . . . you will be fine.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
I would just add that considering the tough times we are in crime is bound to go up everywhere. It was on the news tonight that people are breaking into cars, taking whatever they can grab, including sunglasses, water bottles and coffee mugs. The police suggested leaving nothing in the open in your car. And of course it should be locked.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 PM

We don't keep anything valuable in our cars and are very good about locking them... I'm not too worried about that.

I'll be honest about what makes me a little sad/scared. Currently we love sleeping with our windows open and getting fresh air. I'd hate not to be able to do that anymore. What is everyone's thoughts about windows open on a second floor?

Also, we are used to 60 degree temps at night, so it will only be during fall and spring that we would do that...

I know it seems like such a stupid trivial little thing, but it would make me sad to lose that. I'd hate to have a fear of someone coming in at night.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 PM

59 posts, read 130,605 times
I live in a "bad neighborhood" and I leave my first floor bedroom window open frequently. No troubles. Get a dog - either way, you will likely be fine. What are the chances of someone monitoring your window status? I think it would be low...

Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
We have upstairs windows we leave open in the fall and spring. And we will leave the bedroom window open in our room at night. But the dog sleeps there too so we don't worry.

I don't leave anything open during the day when we are not home. First in case it rains and second don't want to leave an invitation to someone to come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte