Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,773 times

Advertisements

I have been through Mt. Holly a time or two and thought it was a rather nice looking little city. I would like to consider this area because it has that little village look and feel to it instead of the no town center kind of place like Harrisburg, Mint Hill, Pineville and others. Would you say it is honky-tonk blue collar or clean-cut blue collar? I have read other posts about the place but the few respondents got off on this Mr. Griffin fellow who is a KKK leader. I heard about that but honestly, we cant really judge any one place by one bad apple or even a few. After all, there are sex offenders in every town too.
Anyway, I am looking for that sort of clean cut blue collar place where people are raising families but really dont want the feel of a town where parents have their children in every imaginable organization with silver spoons in their mouths or spoiled. Not necessarily a bad thing if you have the means, just not for me. And even if you dont go, a place where people value a faith life as well. I like its proximity to the heavy business west side and 77 & 85 corridors. Are rents and housing costs good there? and how would the taxes be? Thank you for any kind replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
I have been through Mt. Holly a time or two and thought it was a rather nice looking little city. I would like to consider this area because it has that little village look and feel to it instead of the no town center kind of place like Harrisburg, Mint Hill, Pineville and others. Would you say it is honky-tonk blue collar or clean-cut blue collar? I have read other posts about the place but the few respondents got off on this Mr. Griffin fellow who is a KKK leader. I heard about that but honestly, we cant really judge any one place by one bad apple or even a few. After all, there are sex offenders in every town too.
Anyway, I am looking for that sort of clean cut blue collar place where people are raising families but really dont want the feel of a town where parents have their children in every imaginable organization with silver spoons in their mouths or spoiled. Not necessarily a bad thing if you have the means, just not for me. And even if you dont go, a place where people value a faith life as well. I like its proximity to the heavy business west side and 77 & 85 corridors. Are rents and housing costs good there? and how would the taxes be? Thank you for any kind replies.
"Hollywood" as I affectionally call it has come a long way.... in 20 years...Great community to raise a family...Great location..Accessible to Interstate 85.. Right between Gastonia and Charlotte...It's a blue collar city for sure...but in a good way...As far as employment opportunities are concerned...you might have a hard time...the job market is dead in these parts....But I hope you find what you are looking for...Good luck in the search.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 AM

444 posts, read 1,144,268 times
What does 'Blue Collar' mean?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:26 AM

622 posts, read 1,783,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Blue-collar worker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Blue collar to me is a place that is dominated by folks who work in labor jobs, retail, distribution etc... pretty much anything that is not office, administration, mid level management or above. Not to say that a little bit of executive types are undesirable. I just dont want the gated village'ettes, mcmansions. steril communities with high end botiques and cafe's but rather general mercantile and good blue plate home town diners. Ya know, that sort of thing.

Now, with that I make the clarification that there are different types of blue collar. I prefer those who are the hard working variety that pull their own weight, dependable, clean, involved in their community in a variety of different ways. People who foster good will in their neighborhoods. I know that when you describe details such as this, you can get some rebukes. I am just saying that there are communities where some of these values dont seem to be represented very well. keep me out of those. Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 PM

171 posts, read 272,507 times
Most jobs are now in "service" industries , not manufacturing. Service is the new blue collar.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
Lived here 2 years..hidden gem. Low crime, friendly people, affordable housing and a great commute to Charlotte.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
We lived in Mt. Holly for a while and absolutely loved it. It is a great little town, that is convenient to any thing you could need.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
My dentist is there! It's nice. Lots of trees. Lol.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
We lived in Mt. Holly for a while and absolutely loved it. It is a great little town, that is convenient to any thing you could need.
Exactly..its very centrally located and to all you S. Charlotte folks about 30 minutes to uptown in rush hour. Lets see ya do that from Indian Trail or Union County ...or Bal...ah you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte