Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Yep...I got it new and have definitely milked every penny I spent out of it. She was a good car, but it's time. I ..heard some ads recently offering to double trade in value...and every bit helps.
Depending upon your tax situation you might want to consider donating it to the Kidney foundation or some other similar charity. You get a nice tax deduction and they will come pick it up for you. You will have to work the numbers for your circumstances, you might come out better this way.

My advice is to never go into a car negotiations with a dealer on these trade-in deals. It is another opportunity for them to take advantage of you. You will get your best deal from them if you keep your transactions with them to an absolute minimum. i.e. get your financing elsewhere, don't do a trade in, don't do extended warranties or service plans. Every time you add one of these, it gives them the ability to slip something in where they "get you". Also take off anything like a car finish protector, fabric protectors, and similar junk. Pure profit for them. These will often be an additional window sticker beyond what the manufacturer puts on the car. A lot of Charlotte area dealers are into this dirty trick to raise the initial negotiation price.

The best deals are scored by figuring out what you want, figuring what you are willing to pay for it, and then conducting the entire deal on the phone before going to the dealer. Don't be afraid to hang up, play them against either other, etc. After you get to a price, get them to throw in some extras like better floor mats, cargo nets, other minor stuff that doesn't cost them much, but which they charge you a lot to buy afterwards. Most important, get them to fax you a copy of the deal before you head there. Don't let them play this game of getting your phone number to call you back. That is just a way to get your phone number so they can hassle you forever. Over the past 30 years I have bought everything from cheap Toyotas to new Mercedes-Benz in the Charlotte area and all of the dealers are the same no matter how much they might indicate otherwise.

Last edited by lumbollo; 08-13-2009 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 19,767 times
I didn't read through the entire link, so I don't know if its been covered or not, but there are two ways a dealer makes money, called the "front end" and the "back end". The "front end" is the money made off the actual sale. If a dealer pays $2000 for a car and sells it for $2500, they made $500 on the front end. The "back end" is the extended warranties, gap insurance, paint protectants, fabric sealers, undercoatings, etc....
Its common practice to sell cars at cost or slightly below cost just to get you in a car and sitting in the finance office so they can make a profit in the "back end".
I'm not saying don't buy an extended warranty or gap insurance, just don't succumb to the layers and layers of "options". The dealer gets kickbacks and spiffs on whatever they sell, and there is typically no "set" price. If one company will warranty your car for $800, the dealer may sell it to you for $1500, so don't be afraid to ask for a better deal or you won't be interested.

Lastly, NEVER give cash for a down payment. I have never seen it personally, but I have heard of other places "fiddle" with the numbers to make it look like you put money down, then pocket the cash.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
I had a pretty good experience with a guy at Town and Country Toyota. Can't remember his name. No pressure, got me 10% under blue book on a used Altima. They did try to get me with gap coverage, warranties, etc., but it was a pleasant experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: